Home› U.S. Coin Forum
Options

2014 Doolittle Tokyo Raiders Bronze Medal

BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭
Okay, it's not a coin. But it's really a gorgeous hunk of bronze, in really deep relief. Got it today...

image

Comments

  • Options
    gummibeargummibear Posts: 786 ✭✭✭
    That is a very nice looking piece. Will have to consider getting one.

    Richard
  • Options
    epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭
    Nice. Bought a three incher. B-25, USS Hornet, Jimmy Doolittle.

    Glad congress authorized the Congressional Gold Medal for the Doolittle Raiders. The "First Strike" notation on the obverse is a nice touch. image
  • Options
    FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭


    Yeah I got one of those, its a very worthwhile buy. I have a Fighter Aces Medal waiting for pick up at the PO - can't find
    time to go get it.

    I think they need to seriously consider a Gold Medal for those that got Bin Laden on May 1, 2011. The 10 year anniversary
    in 2021 would be a good time. A Full Strike designation might be cool on that one.

    image
  • Options
    OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I want one

    Steve
    Promote the Hobby
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like it.... may get one of these....Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 34,206 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Those pilots had guts! Practically a suicide mission and they went anyways!
    Professional Numismatist, Retired. 55 year member ANA. Former ANA Senior Authenticator. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and ANA Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner of the PNG's 2026 Robert Friedberg Award for "The Enigmatic Lincoln Cents of 1922," Available now from Whitman or Amazon.
  • Options
    MedalCollectorMedalCollector Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The acid treatment that they give these medals really add a nice finish. Modern 3 inch medals are much more appealing than they have been from the late 30s to late 90s.
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 34,347 ✭✭✭✭✭
    where does one get a few of these? just wondering
  • Options
    BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>where does one get a few of these? just wondering >>

    The US Mint. They have them on their web site:

    Military Medals

    There is a 1.5" version ($6.95) and a 3" version ($39.95). (The 3" version is what I have. Weighs in at 250g, or almost 9oz...)

    I might end up picking up a 3" Fighter Aces, too...
  • Options
    PCGSPhotoPCGSPhoto Posts: 768 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The 3" medals are well worth the extra cost compared to the 1.5" ones.
    The Doolittle medal is pretty cool, as is the Tuskeegee Airmen one.

    But my favorite is the "New Frontier" medal. I have it on my desk at work. I get compliments on it, actually.

    http://catalog.usmint.gov/new-frontier-bronze-medal-3-inch-920.html

    Radiant Collection: Numismatics and Exonumia of the Atomic Age.
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/showcase/3232

  • Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is regrettable that the medal was only commissioned when there were then four living Raiders, now there are three. And there wasn't a one of them on that raid that thought they would survive it - it accomplished nothing strategically but when the country was in the lows after Pearl Harbor it sure was a morale booster. I remember when my grandmother was still alive that she spoke of the raid as one of those morale turning points.

    I'd really like the 3" medal myself, along with the Cherokee code talkers medal.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file