Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Updated Quarter Set with Gardner and Pogue pieces

GoBustGoBust Posts: 586 ✭✭✭✭✭
Hey Universe Followers,

I've been enjoying reading the blogs and goings on with review of the Gardner 3 and Pogue 1 sales. The early silver quality in those two sets (especially within one and a half years of the Newman early silver auction) has not been so extensive since the Eliasberg era auctions. So many coins had been directly sequestered in those magnificent sets that it limited opportunities for collectors building in the current generation. I was actually hoping for a little softer competition; however, as usual fresh coins with real quality and originality demanded stretching really into some uncharted territory. The analysis of quality by the "Analyst" has been fun to read as has the articles reviewing rates of return when 'bigger" coins were held for shorter periods of time.

Nonetheless, myself and a number of other pure collector set builders tried to do our homework and then took the plunge at the this months "one in a lifetime" sales.

My updated Capped Bust Quarter set has now added the recent Gardner 3 and Pogue 1 coins. Will take some serious time to reload for sure, as so much quality material has come out IMHO in too short of a span. I put the coins into the PCGS digital album to view as well. My plan is to try to keep the set together for an extended period of time circumstances and life permitting.

It has been so much fun viewing and studying these collections. I am sorry that the Quarters sales are now more or a less only something to think about in the past. But having previewed the Pogue 2 Capped Half Dollars, more fireworks will be on their way soon.

Capped Bust Quarter Set List

Capped Bust Quarter Variety Set Album

Comments

• Options
    KyleKyle Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very Impressive!
    Successful BST Transactions With: tonedase, streg2, airplanenut, coindeuce, vibr0nic, natetrook, Shrub68, golden, Lakesammman, drddm, Ilikecolor, CoinJunkie, wondercoin, lablover
  • Options
    coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,666 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A very big congratulations are in order and such stunning sets, words cannot describe the beauty!

Thank you very much for posting.

• Options
    scubafuelscubafuel Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What an incredible collection. The opportunity to pick and choose early quarters from Newman, Gardner and Pogue is once-in-a-lifetime to be sure. Congratulations!

Thanks so much for displaying the set for us to enjoy. Will you try to fill out the missing large size capped bust quarter varieties as well? Finding coins to match the current ones in your set may take a LONG time.

Best, Matt
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,459 ✭✭✭✭✭
    as nice as the images are, I really like the narrative that accompanies each coin. There is a lot of information there that often gets "lost" as coins change hands. Thanks for keeping that with the coins.
  • Options
    yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,600 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow, thanks for sharing!
    So many stunning coins in that set.
    Nice to see a superb set coming from these big recent sales, instead of the coins possibly being off to several anonymous caches!

[Edit:] Glad to help with the proofreading.
  • Options
    TiborTibor Posts: 3,260 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A truly beautiful set. While you state that "they are fairly common" and that
    "no rarities exist", I beg to differ with you. The level of preservation and strike
    for each piece makes these coins rarities. You have something to be proud of !!!
    CONGRATULATIONS on your set!!!
  • Options
    AblinkyAblinky Posts: 625 ✭✭✭

<< <i>A truly beautiful set. While you state that "they are fairly common" and that
    "no rarities exist", I beg to differ with you. The level of preservation and strike
    for each piece makes these coins rarities. You have something to be proud of !!!
    CONGRATULATIONS on your set!!! >>

+1

Andrew Blinkiewicz-Heritage

• Options
    bluelobsterbluelobster Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭
    Wow...is there a finer bust quarter set anywhere?
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Awesome set - always wanted to do that one!
  • Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,876 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Amazing set! Congrats!
  • Options
    Link - your dedication to your bust quarters and half dollars (and half dimes) is unbelievable. Those are incredible sets, especially some of the rare varieties. I have a focus on the early half dimes and the dimes.
  • Options
    jayPemjayPem Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭✭✭
    OMG ! Go Bust's collections are my all time favorites image
    ( I've noticed that a few of your "dupes" are starting to trickle down...hopefully I can make one or two into newps ! )
  • Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,072 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Holy crap!image
  • Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gobust,

I first want to congratulate you on your acquisitions, once I saw your registry I now know of you. I really admired your 23/2 quarter at Sheridan's table in balt. It was the prior gardner 61. Even though Pogues coin is fantastic, I actually like your coin a tad better. Maybe a touch softer on the reverse , but absolutely lovely IMO.

jim
  • Options
    Thanks everyone for taking a look and your comments.

Few quick replies:

Hi Yosclimber - I have fixed the paragraph duplication on the first coin, thanks for taking the time to point that problem out to me.

Barndog, I agree completely. I also feel strongly that on early silver material that pedigree information is important to maintain and enhances not only collector education and fun, but places the coins in their historical context. Over time I believe this adds to the value proposition (hopefully) as well.

Hi Tibor, those top comments on small sized quarters are from PCGS introducing the series and not my words. I completely agree with you, they are exceptionally rare in this state of aesthetic appeal and preservation.

Jim it was nice to meet you in Baltimore as well. When the 1823/2 crossed at 58+ it was a mild disappointment, I do think its really uncirculated, but to get a gold sticker from CAC on such an ultra rarity was kinda cool after the fact. I think its a little better than the Pogue specimen, but the Pogue specimen was pretty darn nice (and already in a PCGS holder).

Hi TDN, the set doesn't have an 1884 and 1885 trade dollar like your beyond amazing set, but the 1823/2 is OK for quarters! I was thinking it would be nice for PCGS to create a Capped Bust quarter set that also included the Proof only 1827/3 original in silver and restrikes in silver and copper. I think proof only Capped varieties such as the 1827/3 quarters and 1838-O halves are really essential parts of completing the sets of capped Quarters and Capped Half Dollars and I noticed PCGS does have some early copper sets with and without the ultra-rarities or proof only issues. This set in actuality does include the Gardner 1827/3 Original Quarter. Still not and 1885 Trade Dollar!

Hi Jay, yes and more on their way. There will be series of duplicates coming to market in AU to MS64 of some of my early quarters that were just upgraded. I have not figured out yet how those will get from my safe deposit box into the world, have a very busy day job, but I do love this "Hobby of the Kings."

Best to all and thanks for the shout outs!

• Options
    guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,240 ✭✭✭
    Holy WOWZA! Spank me! I simply can't think of anything else to type after looking at that set.

WOW. Stupendous!
    @ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • Options
    TrazTraz Posts: 377 ✭✭✭✭
    Congrats. I was going to buy that 1834 but I was too late. Glad it went to someone who put it in a complete set.
  • Options
    NicNic Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fabulous set! Every issue is rare in true gem.

Unlike the overrated halves. image
  • Options
    jcpingjcping Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭
    3+ points better than all time second finest.
    10+ points better than current second finest.
    WoW WoW WoW imageimage
    an SLQ and Ike dollars lover
  • Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fantastic set and fantastic display of the set. Well done.
    Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options
    jhdflajhdfla Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭
    Wonderful! Thanks for sharing with us.
  • Options
    DonWillisDonWillis Posts: 961 ✭✭✭
    Congratulations Mr. Link! That is a beautiful set.
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,542 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Holy crap! Outstanding set -- the eye appeal is off the charts!!
  • Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,865 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Quite a numismatic accomplishment!

May you hold and gaze upon them a long time. 😊
    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    breakdownbreakdown Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭✭✭
    GoBust,

Thanks for sharing such a great set - inspiring stuff. I will spend more time on your write-ups at some point, but for now I just surfed through the photos a few times. What a pleasure.
    Based on the photos, I would say my favorite is the 1831 Small Letters. I reserve the right to pick a new favorite tomorrow. Congratulations and thanks again for posting.image

"Look up, old boy, and see what you get." -William Bonney.

• Options
    hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Simply stunning! This thread and this set has just become one of my favorites. Love the write ups and love the coins. You should be very proud of what you have accomplished. Well done. image

It is gratifying to find others who appreciate the bust quarter series whether it is highly circulated examples or the finest known.
  • Options
    UltraHighReliefUltraHighRelief Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Only the best of the best of the best quarters!!
  • Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just wanted to add my congratulations.
    Simply amazing collection and thanks for taking the time to show it.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Options
    MarkMark Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What an absolutely, positively stunning set.

I think the only thing that wold make it more awesome would be if the mint would strike a RP bust quarter. THEN the set would truly be amazing!! image So, until then, the set is just incredible!
    Mark

• Options
    1Bustcollector1Bustcollector Posts: 569 ✭✭✭
    GoBust,

What a fantastic set! Remarkable examples!

If you are going to the Chicago ANA Id love to meet up with you. Maybe over time we can add/figure out some additional pedigree information for a few more quarters??

Rory
    Persuing choice countermarked coinage on 2 reales.

Enjoyed numismatic conversations with Eric P. Newman, Dave Akers, Jules Reiver, David Davis, Russ Logan, John McCloskey, Kirk Gorman, W. David Perkins...
  • Options
    mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 5,978 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1821 Finest known (by far).My favorite of these.1823/2 AU 58+ Key to the series.Finest known.GoBust,what an amazing assemblage of Bust Quarters.image

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• Options
    OldIndianNutKaseOldIndianNutKase Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭✭✭
    GoBust,

Thank you for coming to the front to share your collection with us. We always wonder who now owns the great coins of the Pogue and Gardner collections, and I wish you the the same fame that was attributed to them. Your Capped Bust Quarter set is destined to be the best of all time, and sharing it with us with a digital album should encourage others to do the same.

When you have the time, we'd like to hear more of how you assembled such a great collection, from starting motivation to where you are today.

OINK
  • Options
    OperationButterOperationButter Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    just wow. very very nice! thanks for sharing
    Gold is for savings. Fiat is for transactions.

BST Transactions (as the seller): Collectall, GRANDAM, epcjimi1, wondercoin, jmski52, wheathoarder, jay1187, jdsueu, grote15, airplanenut, bigole
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Speechless

Mark
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Magnificent set, really marvelous to view, love the images and presentation. Congratulations, these are amazing coins, truly complement each other, hope they stay together a long long time

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    coinnutcoinnut Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Absolutely amazing sets! I'm speechless.
  • Options
    coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats on the holes filled or upgraded. That is an amazing set. One that you simply admire and set aside as a family treasure.
  • Options
    Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

What lovely coins. On the 1823/22 you have CAC calling it uncirculated with the gold sticker and PCGS giving it as close to an MS grade as is possible. It seems to be a great candidate for reconsider service, assuming you really want it in an MS holder. I was watching some of these sell live online and it is cool to see where they ended up also!
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As an aside, I see new columns in the Registry set - total pop and total pop higher. When did this start?
  • Options
    that set will make headlines someday when it hits the market.
  • Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭✭✭
    RE: 1823/2 I think CL did the right thing by taking it out of the NGC 61 Holder ,and getting it PCGS 58+ cac gold. Absolute show stopper!

I told Sheridan n I damn sell everything I had and buy that coin
  • Options
    AnalystAnalyst Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭

EagleGuy: <<WOW! Incredible!>>

OldIndian: <<Thank you for coming to the front to share your collection with us. We always wonder who now owns the great coins of the Pogue and Gardner collections, and I wish you the the same fame that was attributed to them. Your Capped Bust Quarter set is destined to be the best of all time ...>>

In regard to this set of Capped Bust Quarters, many coin enthusiasts are thinking along the same lines, more or less, as EagleGuy and the Old Indian.

In a recent article, 1820 Capped Bust quarters that were purchased by GoBust at the Pogue I sale are discussed, and GoBust is quoted.

The Marvelous Pogue Family Coin Collection, part 5: 1820 Capped Bust Quarters

insightful10@gmail.com

"In order to understand the scarce coins that you own or see, you must learn about coins that you cannot afford." -Me
  • Options
    EastonCollectionEastonCollection Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wished to be the first to reply to this thread -
    Over the last few years, I enjoyed watching you as you built your set by adding special coins one by one. Its amazing to see that with your dedication to this wonderful hobby that you now hold one of the finest bust quarter collection ever assembled. Each coin is special and knowing you, your not done and some will be upgrading when you see higher quality coins based on originality and eye appeal rather than just plastic grade.
    Congratulations and remember - when you 1823/2 quarter has offspring - you will keep me in mind! LOL (inside joke).
    Text
    Easton Collection
  • Options
    Thanks to everyone for your comments.

To answer a few questions and comments.

i bought the 1834 after the Pogue Auction from the experts at Legend. Laura, George and Bruce from that t op flight crew are super. The proof like surfaces showed myriad fine lines and i was unsure as to whether they are some hairline s or die polishing lines or both. Both Laura and John Albaneese reviewer the coin and they (and another expert i trust) concluded the vast majority were die polishing effects on a very early strike that had likely been dipped in the distance past.

As to my background, I'm a pure collector who loves early silver first and foremost. I've been collecting rare die marriages of capped halves since 1986. Its became a slow process to find upgrades for the half dollar set so i expanded to the smaller pocket change. Ive had die marriage collections of the other capped series for 10 to 12 years. Capped Quarters have been a tough slog. Despite pop reports that show a decent number of gem specimens many are buried as type coins and until Gardner and Pogue it had been very tough to find especially large sized quarters. It was astounding that Within one year that the two finest circulation strike s of 1823/2 came to open auction.

Onward and upward. Hope everyone continue s to have fun learning and enjoying the historic period of coins passing to the next generation. The future awaits!
  • Options
    JJSingletonJJSingleton Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A wonderful collection for sure. image

Joseph J. Singleton - First Superintendent of the U.S. Branch Mint in Dahlonega Georgia

Findley Ridge Collection
    About Findley Ridge

• Options
    Thanks to everyone who voted this set to receive the 2015 PCGS Best Digital Album award. Given how many wonderful albums that are now online many others are of equal or higher quality than this set; however, your votes made the difference for Peter and myself.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file