Home Metal Detecting
Options

Your oldest find.Please post a picture.

mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭✭✭
Here's mine.I found this in an old backyard.Came in as "$1 in the Silver Range" on my Bounty Hunter Landstar.This piece is heavy,747 grains (troy).That would be a little more than 48 grams of copper contained in the one piece.Talk about a pocket hole-maker!

1803 Russia 5 Kopeks

My coin has a hole where one of those what looks like "little targets" appears.I just noticed that all five of these "little targets" were drilled out on the coin used for the image of type on NGC's website.Maybe it was common practice to do this kind of marking (drill a hole out in the soft copper) for some,as yet, unknown reason,on the large coppers circulating in Russia early part of the 19th century? Looks like more research is coming for me...How did it get over here in the United States for me to find one lucky day? I would say it got over here by boat...image

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is an interesting find and certainly begs the question you ask..... likely we will never know, but certainly could have been either an immigrant or darkside collector that lost it... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    demodiggerdemodigger Posts: 1,012
    if you think that's big, go get yourself a 10 kopeck. I have several that I have bought.
    as for my oldest dug, mine is this very worn 1780 1 real:
  • Options
    pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭✭
    A 48 gram copper coin is no joke.

And Demo, nice old silver.

Here is my oldest coin: 1695 - 1698 William III halfpenny

As noted by a member of another chat forum: "...it's clear it's a 1st or 2nd issue William III and a 1600s coin. PS: The issue two would be far less common to dig so you most likely have a 1st issue. I don't recall ever seeing anyone on this side finding a William III with the date in the legend."

The site I was at dates as early as the 1760s, so it was probably pretty slick when it was lost.
  • Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My oldest is a 1776 Spanish 2 reals . This was found at a one room school site which is on top an old Indian site. I hunt on 3 one room school sites that are like that.
  • Options
    Bayard1908Bayard1908 Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭✭
    My oldest find is an 1806 British half penny. I found it in October 2013 and created a thread about it back then.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That 5-kopeck piece is an awesome find. I'll bet it was a real adrenaline rush for you, not to mention a surprise!

My oldest coin find is a circa 395 AD Roman bronze AE2 of the eastern emperor Arcadius. *

You'd think I would have found that when I went detecting in England, but no- it was an eyeball surface find on a colonial site here in Georgia, and based on the context of the area, it was likely dropped there in the late 1700s or early 1800s.

In England, my oldest coin was a circa 1300-1310 Edward I hammered silver penny.

imageimage

Oldest found here in the USA was a circa 1658 Spanish 4-maravedi piece. *

Though closely dateable, none of those have dates on the coin itself.

My oldest coin with a readable date found here in the USA was a 1738 British halfpenny dug here in Georgia.

On the England trip, I dug a 1730 farthing. (The site that produced that farthing also produced a ca. 1640-41 Charles I silver penny, though again, that one is not dated on the coin itself.)

My oldest found artifact is a paleolithic projectile point that is several thousand years old.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.