Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1795 Dollar - Genuine or Contemporary Counterfeit? WARNING LARGE PHOTOS

hiijackerhiijacker Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭
Want to get your thoughts if this is legitimate. It definitely sat in a collection for many years, so would be an old counterfeit if not genuine.

RIM EDGE PHOTOS

Buyer of all vintage Silver Bars. PM me
Cashback from Mr. Rebates

Comments

• Options
    joebb21joebb21 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭✭✭
    may the fonz be with you...always...
  • Options
    looks ok to me
  • Options
    pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭✭
    I vote genuine but cleaned with other damage, and in 3 months, fingerprints image
  • Options
    WinLoseWinWinLoseWin Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭✭✭

Possibly holed and repaired near 12 o'clock?

"To Be Esteemed Be Useful" - 1792 Birch Cent --- "I personally think we developed language because of our deep need to complain." - Lily Tomlin

• Options
    commoncents05commoncents05 Posts: 10,078 ✭✭✭
    The coin has been repaired and polished, but I think it's the real deal. I don't know that I've seen a counterfeit with adjustment marks.

-Paul
    Many Quality coins for sale at http://www.CommonCentsRareCoins.com
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,550 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gut feeling genuine, plugged, screwed, blued and tattooed.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    mbogomanmbogoman Posts: 5,120 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i> Possibly holed and repaired near 12 o'clock? >>

That's what I thought, too. It looks rebuilt and re-engraved around "B E R"...
  • Options

<< <i>Gut feeling genuine, plugged, screwed, blued and tattooed. >>

• Options
    MonsterCoinzMonsterCoinz Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Banged up and bruised, but I like it. Why can't I find these anywhere?
    www.MonsterCoinz.com | My Toned Showcase

Check out my iPhone app SlabReader!
  • Options
    AthenaAthena Posts: 439 ✭✭✭
    Lived a hard life, but is now "affordable" image
  • Options
    BustHalfBrianBustHalfBrian Posts: 4,125 ✭✭✭
    Coin looks kosher but definitely not gradable. Surface dmg. + Environmental dmg.
    Lurking and learning since 2010. Full-time professional numismatist.
  • Options
    TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I vote genuine but cleaned with other damage, and in 3 months, fingerprints image >>

imageimage
  • Options
    Ok thanks guys. Knowing it's real what is a very reasonable price for such a coin?

I need to put a liquid fair value on it for a sale.
  • Options
    mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not in the "it looks real" camp.My old eyes might be off some these days but the first thing I noticed was the date looks "fuzzy" to me.Dates on coins of this era always look "crisp,well-struck" even though other parts of the coin might not be so well-struck up?

Contemporary counterfeit of such a piece could be very deceptive? What is the weight? Diameter? Specific gravity?

"Practice coin.The real date we want to make is 1794."

It would be useful if we had photo of known to be genuine 1795 dollar to look at and compare to.Then I would be able to trust my old eyes a little more at the least.I would be able and willing to say that "she looks real" or "she looks fake" given that I have something to compare to.

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• Options
    I would add that the chunk of edge that is missing has revealed a cavity that looks really grainy...grainy like casted metal might be....

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The coin has been repaired and polished, but I think it's the real deal. I don't know that I've seen a counterfeit with adjustment marks.

-Paul >>

+1

my 2c

although the devices do look a bit uncrisp.

the hole on the edge looks to be near BER which others think may be a repair area.

i don't see the reverse repairing to match BER, so im also considering mount/ring removed which may account for the indent.

it is a good thing the edge devices are as weak as they are because 99% of the early dollar fakes i've seen have crisp, sharp edges despite the low overall

condition. an excellent counterfeit detection tip. if you see a super strong, even and crisp edge, you better be holding a monster of a coin and it may still not

even matter then because high-grade fakes also exhibit this "perfect edge."

i'm with the majority on this one in that i'd be surprised if it were a counterfeit, especially with what appears to be mmam like commoncents05 stated.

btw gratz on 10k+ posts common. i don't recall if there was a celebration thread.

last but not least, excellent overall presentation hijacker. right width, height, clarity and layout of the images.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>It would be useful if we had photo of known to be genuine 1795 dollar to look at and compare to. >>

Here are a couple.

And here is another.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    value is between $1000-$1500

Probably closer to the lower end but still should be at least $1000

• Options

<< <i>value is between $1000-$1500

Probably closer to the lower end but still should be at least $1000 >>

A comparable coin recently sold for $1700 on eBay
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,688 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It looks counterfeit to me.
  • Options
    I just can't get over how crude that date appears to me.Like it was worked on to appear bolder than it really was when it came out of the mold.Worked on in this case resulted in loss of detail.

The chip on the edge could have been caused by an instrument used for prying? The edge inscription presents additional problems for the would-be counterfeiter to address?

The piece should be sent in for authentication/grading.

• Options
    LoveMyLibertyLoveMyLiberty Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭

The coin looks to me as a legitimate piece in very poor
    condition.

It is a B-7, BB-18 three leaf variety. There are only six
    1795 three leaf varieties of the 19 die marriages for this
    year. Here is a copy of another BB-18 for comparison
    found on CoinFacts.

However, as mr1874 said, it never hurts to check it's weight, diameter, etc.
    My Type Set

R.I.P. Bear image
  • Options

• Options
    looks like a match! Note how the lower curl loops and touches the star the same way.
  • Options
    Yes,a match.The date looks off? Note how the '1' on the OP piece flares to the right viewing from the bottom of the '1' to the top.I'm not seeing that in the '1' in the B-7,BB-18 posted by LoveMyLiberty.There the '1' appears to narrow slightly to the left as viewed from bottom to top.

• Options
    EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It went through the Castaing machine twice.

Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • Options
    RonnyRonny Posts: 94

<< <i>Want to get your thoughts if this is legitimate. It definitely sat in a collection for many years, so would be an old counterfeit if not genuine.

RIM EDGE PHOTOS
    image >>

WOWSA! Those are some large photos!

Cheers, RonO
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Then why use the quote function?
  • Options
    winkywinky Posts: 1,671
    Fingerprints all over it but real to me.
  • Options
    Off to the TPG it goes if it's my coin.Would be interesting to see their findings in here.

• Options
    It went through the Castaing machine twice.

Yes.Parts of the edge inscription stamped twice.

• Options

<< <i>It went through the Castaing machine twice.

Yes.Parts of the edge inscription stamped twice. >>

What's a Castaing machine?
  • Options
    ebaybuyerebaybuyer Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭
    holed and repaired at 12:00 (ish) probably had more eye appeal before the repair
    regardless of how many posts I have, I don't consider myself an "expert" at anything
  • Options
    I took "Castaing" to be a misspelling of "casting."

• Options
    stevebensteveben Posts: 4,595 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>It went through the Castaing machine twice.

Yes.Parts of the edge inscription stamped twice. >>

What's a Castaing machine? >>

Castaing Machine
  • Options
    The magic date,1795,jumps out and grabs you on this piece,

Can't say the same for the OP piece.The date is there such as it is but there's no captivation going on.MOFWIW

• Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hard to tell if it's genuine or cast. Send it in for grading.
  • Options
    ebaybuyerebaybuyer Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭
    those who know, have already assured the op that it is genuine, just not original. would be a waste of money to send it in for grading, A it wont grade, B we already know its genuine
    regardless of how many posts I have, I don't consider myself an "expert" at anything
  • Options
    Not a waste of money to send in for authentication.Who cares if it doesn't grade? Is it real or not? We know the Bolender number but that's not proof the piece is authentic.Knowing when made might speak volumes about motive.What would "contemporary" mean for the OP's piece? 1800? 1810? 1820? I would say contemporary as far as they concern flowing hair dollars is probably around 1820-1830.That would have been about the time collectors were taking notice that 1794 dollars were seldom being seen.

Thank you steveben for the link to Castaing machine.

• Options
    RampageRampage Posts: 9,418 ✭✭✭✭
    I say Genuine, but as others have mentioned many times over, much damage.
  • Options

<< <i>I took "Castaing" to be a misspelling of "casting." >>

It's actually a name, IIRC, not a misspelling of the word 'casting'.
  • Options
    It's actually a name, IIRC, not a misspelling of the word 'casting'.

Yes.My apologies to EagleEye for any confusion I may have caused.

• Options
    Hi Hijacker,

This I am going to chime in -- my first post on the CU message boards!

I will cast my lot with the not genuine crowd. Three main reasons and two smaller reasons.

1) The surfaces have the kind of pitting one tends to see with castings. Though I am no uber expert, I just have never seen the kind of pitting you see on the head, above the head and to the right of the ribbon on the reverse but on counterfeit coins.

2) On the edge, there is a very suspicious casting marks (e.g. at 12:30 of the head). I once bought a Japanese "silver yen" coin in Tokyo, only to have my brother tell him the weight was too light. When I started investigating, the discussions mentioned comments that there is almost always an odd point where the casting is either injected or breaks off. Sure enough there is was. That mark on the edge looks very similar.

3) On the edge directly in line with the line of sight, there appears to be an odd planchet separation.

Finally,

4) I don;t line the look of the adjustment marks. I have a 1798 Large Eagle with adjustment marks I bought from the old Stacks store in NY. I love the history of why they are there. They are a simply cross hatch patterns, which makes sense if you think about how the ladies would file. This coin has a radiating pattern. Odd.

5) I do not like the look of the letters and date, but I am more of a Draped Bust guy than Flowing Hair.

But of course it is a 1795 FH. If real, it has taken 220 years of abuse. And of course being a 1795, it is in year two of US mint operations and all the drama and learning curve elements.

But my vote is 85-15 against.

Silly question, but did you weigh it and measure it?

Either way, I hope it worked out.

NIDF

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file