Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Federal Court calls for damages of nearly $1.9 million for misrepresented PCI coins

airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
Link to story

Certainly an interesting case, especially if it sets a precedent for future ones.
JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research

Comments

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,217 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fixed linky

PCI overgraded coins that a sister company sold as investments? image

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm amazed that there's still a PCI. I thought they went under years ago and became DGS...

EDIT: DGS bought what was left of them after they went under. They were not related to PCI other than the holders.
    You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options
    vplitevplite Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭
    Outstanding!
    The Golden Rule: Those with the gold make the rules.
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,565 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Buy the coin, not the holder.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,706 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As far as I know, PCI never became DGS. DGS bought slab molds and such from the then most recently belly-up reincarnation of PCI. DGS likely suffered from guilt by association in the marketplace as a result.
  • Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>As far as I know, PCI never became DGS. DGS bought slab molds and such from the then most recently belly-up reincarnation of PCI. DGS likely suffered from guilt by association in the marketplace as a result. >>

I stand corrected.
    You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options
    PhillyJoePhillyJoe Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭✭
    Look for ebay sellers to put this in the description "PCI graded this one right!" just as you used to see in ACG listings.

Now where did I put my 1964 Kennedy Accented Hair PCI PR69 Deep Cameo? I'll check the junk drawer first.
    The Philadelphia Mint: making coins since 1792. We make money by making money. Now in our 225th year thanks to no competition. image
  • Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
    It would be even better to see these people get jail time. Prison time. Long time.

Any chance of that happening now that fraud has been proven in a court of law?

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,228 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What do I do with PCI in the master list?

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,475 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Buy the coin, not the holder. >>

Excellent advice Tom but these people were buying for investment purposes and really had their full faith in the folks that sold them the coins. And in 2011 no less.

Sad as it is, there is no recourse for the truly ignorant but this case sets a precedent.

I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭
    That makes PCGS a qualified expert in the eyes of the Federal Courts image

I'd never buy any PCI coin that was more than a couple hundred dollars and pretty much disregard their grade.

I understand the over-grading and cleaning, but was surprised about the one counterfeit MS64 $2.50 gold.
  • Options
    DollarAfterDollarDollarAfterDollar Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like they thought they found a sucker (actually, they did) but when he died and the heirs had things appraised, there was something amiss.

Ooopsie.....
    If you do what you always did, you get what you always got.
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,949 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Now all they have to do is collect on the judgment.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,734 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Obtaining a judgment can be very difficult.

Collecting a judgment from a judgment debtor who can not pay or will not pay is substantially more difficult. Many times the judgment creditor has nothing more than a judgment (on a sheet of paper) that can be placed into a frame and hung on a wall.
  • Options
    DavideoDavideo Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Obtaining a judgment can be very difficult.

Collecting a judgment from a judgment debtor who can not pay or will not pay is substantially more difficult. Many times the judgment creditor has nothing more than a judgment (on a sheet of paper) that can be placed into a frame and hung on a wall. >>

Sadly very true. The guilty party could have just blown all their money in Vegas can't/won't pay anything.
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Couple buys investment coins for $800K , worth only $200K. Like shopping on television late at night.
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This should scare the heck out of dozens of other grading companies....

be well,

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,565 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Problem
    Coin
    Inside
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>That makes PCGS a qualified expert in the eyes of the Federal Courts image >>

I do not believe a business can be considered a qualified expert. I am pretty sure it has to be an individual.
    Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Professionally
    Certified
    Ineptitude
  • Options
    CrackoutCrackout Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Primary
    Coin-Grader
    Incompetent
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,994 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>What do I do with PCI in the master list? >>

DELETE DELETE DELETE then DELETE some more!
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good tip from the article:

<< <i>When you’re buying or selling coins, there’s an important lesson for the public to remember. If you don’t know rare coins, you’d better know your rare coin dealer. Members of the Professional Numismatists Guild must adhere to a strict Code of Ethics in the buying and selling of numismatic merchandise. The dealer who sold coins to Ms. Pereida was not a PNG member >>

• Options
    dibdib Posts: 311
    I'd be lying if I said I hated PCI. I've had at least a 1 point upgrade on all the 7 PCI coins I've cracked out and resubmitted to PCGS and NGC, so I can't complain.

But with that being said, yes, the vast majority of PCI graded coins are trash/overgraded, and I have seen a counterfeit or two... or 5. Buy the coin not the holder.
  • Options
    leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,367 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    Good
    Coin

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,504 ✭✭✭
    I have one PCI coin. A 1972 PF 69. Not worth much. something close
  • Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i didn't read all the posts but i do recall a precedent(s) being set for suits against tpg/individuals for improperly grading coins/collectables. - although, perhaps it/they were settled privately.

an archive search may yield results here as i think this is where i read about it/them.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Glad the crooks wrer nailed.
    Ironically, a lot of hassle but turned out to be a fantastic investment after all given the amount of the settlement.
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,039 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One attorney in the case was R. Lyn Stevens of Stevens Baldo Freeman & Lighty in Beaumont, Texas.
    He has a website "www.coinfraud.com" which indicates his specialty.

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options

<< <i>Glad the crooks wrer nailed.
    Ironically, a lot of hassle but turned out to be a fantastic investment after all given the amount of the settlement. >>

This is why lawyers are better investments than coins. image
  • Options
    ScarsdaleCoinScarsdaleCoin Posts: 5,190 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The implication could be stretched to coin dealers that sell raw coins .. but I think this case is the fact of disclosure relating to the fact that the owner of the selling coin company also owned the grading company... as posted this does have interesting implications on many fronts
    Jon Lerner - Scarsdale Coin - www.CoinHelp.com
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice to win the case....however, I doubt if the injured party will ever see a cent of the award. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

from coinfraud

"Some dealers engaging in coin fraud or precious metals fraud grade their coins accurately, but overprice the coins and/or mislead consumers about

the value of the coins. For example, a dealer may charge $2000 for an accurately graded $20 Double Eagle gold coin even though the actual retail value

of the coin may only be $750"

---------------------

that sounds like a margin i've seen some charge and call it retail for an average eye appeal coin or one that is pq, toned, variety or beaned etc. not sure

where fraud/overcharging/retail/premium etc are delineated but 2000 for a 750 in a lot of instances is not fraud, sometimes it is.

i literally had a dealer tell me just last evening that he had a guy came to him at a show a few decades ago, to his booth, (he stated to the dealer at the end

of their conversation) that a collection he put together for give or take $225k, raw, for coins that were purported by the seller to be ms65-ms67 etc and in

reality, they were au/slider/obvious low ms. long-story short, the guy telling me this stated he made an offer only after the gentleman with the coins

absolutely insisted he give the price no matter what it was and was less than 1/10th of what he paid and it was the highest offer of all the dealers he

visited. if all that is true, that is insane. lots to say about the whole thing but i won't go into it this time.

not the first time i've heard stories like this and from what i've seen from a very small handful of dealers/sellers at shows, it doesn't sound un-plausible

to me.

lest us not forget trends, run-ups, subjectivity, objectivity, opinions, various stickers, etc.

sure wish i could be at arms-length from a case like this to evaluate the coins/grades/prices to see what kind of basis is used and just where the lines are

drawn and if it us true, i'm glad for the verdict.

now that i think about it, pci may have been one of the cases discussed here previously. for some reason messy's comment about pci/dgs is ringing a strong bell.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Brings back memories of the Accugrade lawsuits a few years back. IIRC, didn't ACG pretty much sully up the majority of the opposition and walk away the "apparent" winner?

Buy the lawyer, not the holder .
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    raysrays Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Obtaining a judgment can be very difficult.

Collecting a judgment from a judgment debtor who can not pay or will not pay is substantially more difficult. Many times the judgment creditor has nothing more than a judgment (on a sheet of paper) that can be placed into a frame and hung on a wall. >>

I would think the plaintiffs would take into account the defendant's assets when considering to pursue the lawsuit.
  • Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Reading this put a smile on my face that is going to last all weekend! image
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>What do I do with PCI in the master list? >>

DELETE DELETE DELETE then DELETE some more! >>

I'm going to ask for a double and mention the contact info is in Wantagh, NY and they say "under new management" is there a yet another new owner or are these running it now the same people in the suit?

Their "About" page says:
    September 12, 2012 The New PCI

The lawsuit says one defendant sold PCI is 2011. I can't locate records of current officers of PCI.
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭✭✭
    good article, thanks for sharing
    So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,526 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Problem
    Coin
    Inside >>

Darned
    Grading
    Service
  • Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,734 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The information present on the linked CoinFraud website is pretty comprehensive in its description of the types of conduct that takes place in market place that could very well be viewed by a court as "fraudlent".

I expect that much of this conduct takes place, at varying dollar levels. I wonder how the lawyers behind the Coinfraud website ended up practicing in what is a niche area? I also wonder if they handle coinfraud cases exclusively or if they handle other types of legal work? If they handle coinfraud cases exclusively, I wonder what their business model is and if their practice is self sustaining on this type of work alone.

If these lawyers have the skill set necessary to effectively and efficiently get positive results from clients who have lost money due to CoinFraud, they may end up seeing an uptick in their workload as word about them and their successes spreads in the collecting community.

• Options
    Need
    Glasses
    Charlie?

Astigmatism
    Cataracts
    and
    Glaucoma

I
    Can't
    Grade!
  • Options
    Astigmatism,
    Cataracts,
    &
    Glaucoma
  • Options
    bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Note to self.................... don't do any investing with Corpus Christi stockbroker Bonnie Pereida.

If she was inclined to spend 750k on coins she knew nothing about, imagine what the wolves of Wall Street would do to her. image
  • Options

<< <i>The information present on the linked CoinFraud website is pretty comprehensive in its description of the types of conduct that takes place in market place that could very well be viewed by a court as "fraudlent".

I expect that much of this conduct takes place, at varying dollar levels. I wonder how the lawyers behind the Coinfraud website ended up practicing in what is a niche area? I also wonder if they handle coinfraud cases exclusively or if they handle other types of legal work? If they handle coinfraud cases exclusively, I wonder what their business model is and if their practice is self sustaining on this type of work alone.

If these lawyers have the skill set necessary to effectively and efficiently get positive results from clients who have lost money due to CoinFraud, they may end up seeing an uptick in their workload as word about them and their successes spreads in the collecting community. >>

I'm starting to re think my trade. Maybe I should go back to selling cars. People look at me funny when I tell them it's $3 for a presidential dollar. image
  • Options
    FrankcoinsFrankcoins Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭
    In 2010, some coins in fake PCI slabs made to look like the old 10-digit serial number slabs that were strictly graded
    started showing up on eBay from seller NYCOINMART. They were generally cleaned AU better date Morgans and US
    gold coins...carefully chosen to be the coins that jump 10 fold in value from slider to true Unc. Most of them were
    graded MS63 to MS65. While imitating the holders from 1992, the distinctive font -- with the 6 and 9 having straight
    tails -- was incorrect and the security microprinting was indicative of a counterfeit

Real reverse label

Fake reverse label

Real 1993 vintage slab with typical UNDERGRADED coin

Front label of NYCOINMART item

and the supposedly MS65 coin

Photos by John Bradley on vamworld who first reported these

And the proof that these coins and the coins referenced in the lawsuit are from the same source... when these
    were being discussed in rec.collecting.coins someone named "Joey" made this post DEFENDING these overgraded coins

PCA COLLECTABLES 516.833.5695 for all of you PCI needs , I have been
    buying from Anthony Dellauniversipa and everything have been great . I
    bought some ms67 morgan dollars for 1/2 the price they normaly sell
    for . I also understand that his partner Kevin McNerney who also owns
    PCI Grading and NYCOINMART is selling these coins he graded on his web
    site (http://sales.uaamerica.calls.net/) . This guy is legit and has
    been grading coins for years , he usto own NTC and also NAS grading .
    Stop bothering this guy and drop the issue . And if you have any
    qustions just call them up and ask them . So all in all the slabs
    arent fake and I love all the coins they sold me . I mean come on ,
    you dont like ms67 morgan dollars at half price?

When "Longtime owner Kevin" suddenly became "Longtime owner Vince" on the
    NYCOINMART website, "Joey" made one final appearance

(spelling and grammar as written)

Vince is Kevins partner they have been running diffrent coin rooms
    and using diffrent company names for years . Kevin reacently sold
    Sunrise Numismatics inc to his life time buddy Michael Destefano and
    Anthony Dellauniversipa , witch i dont understand , because Anthony
    owns PCA Collectables , so why would you want two companies doing the
    same thing ?? Now another friend of Kevin , Dennis Daidone (grader)He
    is a member of the ANA and a graduate from the ANA grading school in
    Jacksonville Florida. Dennis has worked as an advisor for other major
    grading services and has and eye for perfection."

so I know Dennis did the grading for Kevin when they owned NAS
    Grading , but I dont know if he is inloved with PCI , but from what i
    understand he has been with him since NTC days . I think these guys
    are great! They are doing nothing wrong , I mean is not this how NGC
    and PCGS got started ? Everyone out there who knows coins , knows
    these guys are and they are connected with everyone , they are ok in
    book. A+ guys

Frank Provasek - PCGS Authorized Dealer, Life Member ANA, Member TNA. www.frankcoins.com
  • Options
    GrumpyEdGrumpyEd Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭

<< <i>If she was inclined to spend 750k on coins she knew nothing about, imagine what the wolves of Wall Street would do to her. >>

Ed
  • Options
    PCI has been removed from the list NOT because of the lawsuit. The site was sold. The site even states "new management." This is the reason. They will have to find their way back onto the forum map.

• Options
    djdilliodondjdilliodon Posts: 1,938 ✭✭
    Pathetic
    Coin
    Grading
    Service

All kidding aside, PCI is about 20 min from me and guess what? I've never even noticed lol!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file