Home Buy, Sell & Trade - Cards & Memorabilia

1983 Topps Baseball Michigan CASE BREAK - OPEN TO RESERVE starting WED 8PM Central

OK gang, going to try this again. May not be enough interest, but I'll let it run a couple days and see what happens.

RESERVATION LIMITS: 4 per person for the first 24 hours, may cut this back to 2 if there's more interest than I currently perceive. I do want to break this case, so going to start with 4 per and see what happens, but I'd expect people to be reasonable if interest does turn up.

I've got a 1983 Topps baseball Michigan case, it was consigned to Tom at OPC Baseball a couple months ago. I don't "collect" cases, and would really only like to keep a couple boxes for myself so thought I'd see if there's enough interest to open this thing up.

Here are the details:
PRICE -
$255 per box + shipping

SHIPPING -
$10 up to 2 boxes, $15 up to 4 boxes, check with me if you're interested in more than that

WRAPPING -
Tom as agreed to wrap and mark boxes FASC if so desired, no extra charge

DISCLOSURE -
Tom currently has possession of this case, all payments will go through him and he will be the one shipping product to you. You will NOT be dealing directly with me, although this is MY CASE and I have a "financial interest" in it. I want a couple boxes at least from this case for my collection, so I will be participating in the case break assuming we get enough interest.

TIMING -
1) Reserve by posting in the thread, starting 8PM Central Wednesday.
2) Limit of up to 4 boxes reserved per person for the first 24 hours. May cut this back to 2 per depending on the number of people interested, but so far interest seems slow and I do want to break this case.
3) Tom and I will be at the Tristar Show in Houston this weekend. If we get enough reservations, we'll do a LIVE CASE BREAK at the show. We'll record the break and upload to the internet for "bonus authentication" of the case break.

HISTORY -
For those who don't know a ton about these, Topps tested a different style of pack in 1983. They're made of tamper resistant cellophane instead of the regular wax, similar to what started being used in the mid 90s or so. They're called "Michigan" by the hobby because that's primarily where the distribution of these cases occurred, although there is some speculation that distribution may have been beyond Michigan state borders but still in that area of the country.

Regardless, there's a couple of great features that make these packs more desirable in some people's minds. First, you can't really see through the packs and you can't re-seal them, and that has it's obvious advantages for prevention of searching and cherry-picking. Second, the gum is packed next to a game insert card, thus there should be no wax stains on any of the actual cards. From a "wax" standpoint, these boxes are about as good as you can get for 1983. Here's a link that describes these more if interested:
Michigan Test at Sports Collectors Daily

OTHER -
Ultimately, I need a 15 box commitment to want to bust the case, as I don't want to keep more than 5 boxes. So if you're interested, please post here for now and if it looks like there's enough interest, I will update the thread tomorrow or early Tuesday with the official reservation timing and slots, etc.

RESERVATIONS:
1. mrpeanut39
19. bounce
20. bounce

Comments

• cool boxes for sure...

just some more data...

regular box has 540 total cards (each pack has a gum stain and a wax stained card) that means the michigan boxes have rougly 5 packs more worth of potentially mint cards

based upon sales averages...michigan boxes should sell for about $30 more vs regular boxes due to more potentially mint cards.
  • ConstantineConstantine Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭
    I'd be interested if it were BBCE. I really don't like the label and word OPC over my boxes I think it creates confusion.
  • bouncebounce Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I'd be interested if it were BBCE. I really don't like the label and word OPC over my boxes I think it creates confusion. >>

Let me explain why I don't think BBCE is an option

1) I'd have to ship them the case at a minimum, and that's probably $40 or so at least. Not a big deal, but...

2) I don't have an extensive relationship with Steve, but even if I did I'm pretty sure he won't be interested in "running this" whereby I send him the case, he opens it and wraps the boxes and then ships them back out to everyone else. I'm sure he'll wrap the boxes and return them to me, but...

3) Because of the above, there's an extra 5% ($10-12) to have BBCE wrap them, plus another $40 return shipping to me.

All tolled, that's an another $15+ per box at least to get them ready to go, and probably adds 2-3 weeks on the timeline for delivery since they've got to round trip to BBCE and back to me and then out to everyone else. That's extra travel and potential wear and tear, and not to disrespect my product in any way I'm not sure that these are quite worth enough to justify all that. If they were $500+ type of boxes it's probably a different story.

HOWEVER - If someone wants to "sponsor" this or a group wants to pull the funds together and have a front person to take responsibility, I'm certainly open to it but my responsibility would need to end at BBCE's receipt of the case and I just don't see him going for that.
  • mrpeanut39mrpeanut39 Posts: 841 ✭✭✭
    I'm definitely in for one box. This is a really good price. BBCE offers these at $275 plus shipping. Also, as mentioned, if ripping these are much cleaner cards than regular wax.
    "I think the guy must be practicing voodoo or something. Check out his eyes. Rico's crazier than a peach orchard sow." -- Whitey Herzog, Spring Training 1973

<< <i>I'm definitely in for one box. This is a really good price. BBCE offers these at $275 plus shipping. Also, as mentioned, if ripping these are much cleaner cards than regular wax. >>

The last ones they had at that price were not FASC either, at least not based on what the site said at that time
    Yes that's it - trying to get some additional pictures added to his site today.

As far as your comment on "heavy creasing" and "informed decisions", how about we wait to the get the additional pictures up first? Jeez...

<< <i>

<< <i>As far as your comment on "heavy creasing" and "informed decisions", how about we wait to the get the additional pictures up first? Jeez... >>

Come on, man! You (anyone) should put pictures up BEFORE soliciting money...especially in lieu of your last unsuccessful GROUP BREAK! >>

djr - seriously man, enough. the drama and commentary isn't welcome.

to be technically accurate, i haven't solicited any money yet from anyone. i've posted to try and see if there's interest in the case, i put it in the BST forum which is probably where it belongs and per the forum rules i posted a price. it doesn't say "or best offer", it doesn't say "price negotiable", it's the price. if there's enough interest at that price then the case will get broken, if not then it won't. i'd LIKE to break it, but i don't NEED to break it.

as far as your request for more pictures, that is certainly reasonable and it's something i'm trying to get. i had some pictures of it from before, but was trying to get current ones from Tom.

the real issue i have is the WAY you ask - you put your own personal commentary and opinion in there before i even get a chance to do anything.

all you had to do was say "hey i might be interested, any chance you've got some more photos of the case so we can see what kind of condition it's in"? you could even say "hey it looks like there might be some issues with the case, any concerns there might be damaged boxes and what happens if there are?", anything along those lines would be fair and reasonable questions that i'd be happy to answer.

isn't that a much better way to try and do things? but that's not your way - you've got to try and create issues or controversy instead of genuinely seeking additional information that might help you decide.

And just so everyone knows, you're carrying on with this in the thread WELL AFTER you sent me PMs with your requirements for your involvement, which i answered directly back and said wasn't possible.

so we've established you're not interested, and yet here you keep going - what's the point of continuing here instead of via PM for a product you aren't even interested in?

if you have a problem with me, then either start a new thread and let's hash it out for everyone to see, or you can send me PMs to discuss it fi you want. but you've already indicated you don't want to participate if i don't meet your conditions, i've said i won't meet them, thus there's no reason for you to keep carrying on. just move along.

it's this sort of behavior and rhetoric that's slowly ruining this board. people don't want to login and see all this kind of stuff - they want their time on the board to be fun and informative and enjoyable, and sifting through these kinds of flame wars isn't how anyone wants to spend their time.

and YES, i realize the apparent hypocrisy of the previous statement in view of this response, however THE PROBLEM IT CREATES FOR ME is that i can't just ignore it, because if i don't say anything then i get accused of not answering questions.

and i suppose every time i do anything on the board going forward you're going to bring up the previous break attempt, and mullins will chime in on the 1986 fleer break right?

i've already apologized for some oversights relative to that break, maybe i should make that part of my signature so that's always there to remind everyone? i've tried to address some of those specific issues in this case break, i honestly don't know what else would be expected of me but if you've got some suggestions and want to make them in a reasonable manner then i'm happy to consider them.

FOR THE RECORD, in both the previous instances people who ordered got EXACTLY what they ordered, they got it for FAIR PRICES, they got it QUICKLY and WELL PACKED and there WAS NOT A SINGLE COMPLAINT.

and that's exactly what i'd expect this time - great product at fair prices delivered fast and no complaints.
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,479 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bounce, please keep in mind the forum rule of one bump per day for any B/S/T thread...you already have 5 posts in this thread in less than 24 hours.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.

<< <i>Bounce, please keep in mind the forum rule of one bump per day for any B/S/T thread...you already have 5 posts in this thread in less than 24 hours. >>

I'm not bumping it. All my posts ex the original one are either answering questions or responding/clarifying other comments.

There's a difference, hopefully now you understand it.

Happy to add you to the list of people who seem to have a bone to pick with me, you just let me know.
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,479 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Bounce, please keep in mind the forum rule of one bump per day for any B/S/T thread...you already have 5 posts in this thread in less than 24 hours. >>

I'm not bumping it. All my posts ex the original one are either answering questions or responding/clarifying other comments.

There's a difference, hopefully now you understand it.

Happy to add you to the list of people who seem to have a bone to pick with me, you just let me know. >>

No need for a sarcastic response~you could simply wait 24 hours and respond to all questions/posts at that time (or simply use PM) instead of bumping the thread any time someone posts a question.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • jfkheatjfkheat Posts: 2,721 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have to agree with bounce. If someone asks a question or posts comments like djr did bounce should be able to answer or respond. I know I would answer asap.
    James
  • swartz1swartz1 Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭
    Bump

Looking for 1970 MLB Photostamps
    - uncut

Positive Transactions - tennesseebanker, Ahmanfan, Donruss, Colebear, CDsNuts, rbdjr1, Downtown1974, yankeeno7, drewsef, mnolan, mrbud60, msassin, RipublicaninMass, AkbarClone, rustywilly, lsutigers1973, julen23 and nam812, plus many others...
    Gonna open this for reservations and see what happens

Starting 8PM Central time tonight, if you're interested please post

We'd like to try and do a live case break at the show on Saturday or Sunday latest, but just have to see how things go

I'm only willing to keep up to 5 of these boxes, so that's 15 slots minimum. I will definitely keep two, so there's 3 "swing" boxes in there

Please PM me any questions/concerns - thanks
  • mrpeanut39mrpeanut39 Posts: 841 ✭✭✭
    Looks like a lost cause at this point, but mark me down for one box.
    "I think the guy must be practicing voodoo or something. Check out his eyes. Rico's crazier than a peach orchard sow." -- Whitey Herzog, Spring Training 1973