Home Metal Detecting
Options

May 17, 2015: 19 Silvers!! And 1845 Large Cent!

pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,261 ✭✭✭✭
5/19/15 UPDATE: The one ring I thought was silver, isn't. Sounded like a silver tone, but it didn't clean up like silver, and the silver test kit does not turn red. So make it 18 silvers for May 17th.
5/19 2nd UPDATE: Back to 19, found a merc while going through the other change. Also, the total Buffalo nickel count was 3.

Got back to the place that's yielded 24 pieces of silver over the previous 3 hunts. Had about 8 hours to hit it hard. Since this is a beachy area, I've been a bit more aggressive on super iffy targets. About 10 minutes into the hunt, got a slight blip. Barely anything... but eventually dug down to a layer of clay and got out and at first looked like maybe a clad quarter or half dollar. Thought, "there's no way clad is this deep." Upon inspection I was floored to see a large cent come out of here! Nothing prior has been this old. Seems like everything else has been dropped in the 1900s. Will take it.

Things were slow for a bit after then it picked up nicely! Ended the day with 19 pieces of silver including:

1 Walking Liberty Half
2 Standing Liberty Quarters
4 Silver Washington Quarters
4 Mercs
1 Silver Roosevelt
2 Wartime nickels. Now you'll notice they look much different than the rest of the dug silvers. I actually think that all of the silver has been leached from them. So even though they probably have no silver left, still calling them silver, because they originally did, haha.
1 Sterling ring
2 Sterling Catholic pendants
1 Sterling religious pendant (I'm assuming it's silver, but there's a chance it's not. it's the small round one on the bottom left of photo)
1 Sterling flatware piece. This is on my Top 10 want list. But I wanted a whole piece. Not sure it's coming off the list just yet

Also got two or three buffalo nickels, possible lead Catholic Mary pendant, and that heart pendant. It sure looked good coming out, but it's either plated, or something going on with it. Will look into it further. Also got plenty of wheat cents, but will check them later.

Unfortunately, most of these coins look like crap. This environment kills them, and they're probably half weight, or less. But, sure beats a day of a couple zincolns.

HH all!

Everything in one pile
All of the cookie objects ready to be opened. Yes, I broke the spoon while trying to break the cookie stuff.

Comments

• Options
    mariner67mariner67 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭
    Checking for your weekend posts is now something I regularly look forward to!
    Great finds and thanks for sharing PCGS69, really enjoy seeing what you find!
    Successful trades/buys/sells with gdavis70, adriana, wondercoin, Weiss, nibanny, IrishMike, commoncents05, pf70collector, kyleknap, barefootjuan, coindeuce, WhiteTornado, Nefprollc, ajw, JamesM, PCcoins, slinc, coindudeonebay,beernuts, and many more
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Incredible group of finds... that site is amazing... too bad it is so hard on coins... still worth it though. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm with mariner67. Can't wait to see wait to see what you will find next. I'll bet that you will be back to that spot😃
  • Options
    Bayard1908Bayard1908 Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭✭
    I'd like to see you experiment with conservation techniques on your salt water finds. You might be pleasantly surprised by the results.
  • Options
    I've always wanted to try electrolysis. Might be worth a shot checking out some videos and building a small system
  • Options
    WhiteTornadoWhiteTornado Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭
    You are just killing it! 2015 is turning out to be a great year for you.
  • Options
    Be careful with electrolysis... it can work really fast in some cases. Probably you know this... just an input.. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    I started reading a bit about it yesterday. Seems like you need to keep an eye on it if you use it on coins. Does anyone else have any other suggestions on what to try? I used a brillo pad on the spoon and it worked reasonably well. Guess there's not much risk to damaging anything at this point.

Also, UPDATE: The one ring I thought was silver, isn't. Sounded like a silver tone, but it didn't clean up like silver, and the silver test kit does not turn red. So make it 18 silvers for May 17th.
    5/19 2nd UPDATE: Back to 19, found a merc while going through the other change. Also, the total Buffalo nickel count was 3.
  • Options
    image Down one, up one.... you have good luck with silver even when sorting... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    luckybucksluckybucks Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭
    Now that is one heck of a haul !!