Home U.S. Coin Forum

The largest coin ever minted

No, it's the a $50 Pan Pacific. It is from down under.

On May 3, 2007, the Royal Canadian Mint unveiled a 220-pound, 99.999 percent pure gold coin at the mint in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada. At the time, It was the biggest and purest gold coin ever made and carried a face value of C$1 million ($900,000 in U.S. dollars).

In 2012, the Perth Mint beat that record, casting the largest ever coin -- weighing one ton and measuring 31.4 inches in diameter.

Comments

• Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow, I'll need bigger pockets !!! :-)
    Timbuk3
  • KyleKyle Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Australian coin has a strange finish, I prefer the look of the Canadian coin.
    Successful BST Transactions With: tonedase, streg2, airplanenut, coindeuce, vibr0nic, natetrook, Shrub68, golden, Lakesammman, drddm, Ilikecolor, CoinJunkie, wondercoin, lablover
  • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,674 ✭✭✭✭✭
    the RCM has a video showing them tooling and polishing.

I personally would wait for one with original surfaces.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,711 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm pretty sure the Yap stone currency are larger.
    Whether they are "coins" or were "minted" is debatable.
  • OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,971 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Any chance they'll get it slabbed? image

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Would love to see the dies and press used!
  • Coins101Coins101 Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭
    Wasn't there talk of Obama having a Trillion dollar coin minted? It was going too be minted out of platinum. Now, would there really be a trillion dollars worth of platinum in it? I doubt it. At today's prices, it would have to have approx. 869,565,217 oz of platinum. Then again, it could have just one oz of platinum but say on it, "ONE TRILLION DOLLARS - IN GOD WE TRUST"
  • LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Depends or how the term "Minted" is defined.

• 3stars3stars Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Australian coin looks like a Nilla Wafer with a gold sticker on it.
    Previous transactions: Wondercoin, goldman86, dmarks, Type2
  • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,674 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The Australian coin looks like a Nilla Wafer with a gold sticker on it. >>

and the image looks like someone tried to make a sock puppet out of an oversized leather glove.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • GritsManGritsMan Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭
    Actually, the Australian coin is made out of sponge cake.
    Winner of the Coveted Devil Award June 8th, 2010
  • CurrinCurrin Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would like to see that one in a PCGS holder.
    My 20th Century Type Set, With Type Variations---started : 9/22/1997 ---- completed : 1/7/2004

My 20th Century Gold Major Design Type Set ---started : 11/17/1997 ---- completed : 1/21/2004
  • SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I would like to see that one in a PCGS holder. >>

Right on.
    And then I'd like to see Lance's video on how to straighten it in the slab. image

The entertainment can never be overdressed....except in burlesque

• FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭
    Wow, now I feel like I'm slummin with my manhole covers collection. If I was a multimillionaire I could add a spot of
    class to the old iron disc hoard.
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,880 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>No, it's the a $50 Pan Pacific. It is from down under. >>

I think you intended to include "not" in your opening post. Actually, as far as legal tender US Mint produced coins go, the 5 oz ATB coins weigh twice what the $50 Pan Pacs weigh and are far larger.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

• DeepCoinDeepCoin Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭
    Perhaps the better question is what is the largest coin that has been pulled from circulation. That eliminates all the one off coins as well as the commemoratives. (Yes, I know some comms got into circulation, but I mean coins specifically minted for circulation).
    Retired United States Mint guy, now working on an Everyman Type Set.
  • SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,512 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a Swedish plate 4 daler, but I consider it a piece of money and NOT a coin persay - but they did circulate.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
    The $50 gold slugs produced during the gold rush era circulated as evidenced by the low grades of most of the surviving specimens.

"Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

• rec78rec78 Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just exactly what are the governments trying to prove by minting those coins? Just another waste of taxpayer money in my estimation. No one will ever be able to own one.
    Maybe the US should mint a trillion dollar coin as suggested by president Obama, just to be the most valuable coin ever. Silly, silly, silly goings on.

<< <i>Just exactly what are the governments trying to prove by minting those coins?. >>

It's a publicity stunt. Both of these mints sell millions of overpriced collector coins world wide. They also do contract minting for other countries. They are both profit making enterprises.

• goldengolden Posts: 9,400 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I saw the Canadian coin at the FUN or ANA show one year.
  • 19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,490 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>No, it's the a $50 Pan Pacific. It is from down under.

On May 3, 2007, the Royal Canadian Mint unveiled a 220-pound, 99.999 percent pure gold coin at the mint in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada. At the time, It was the biggest and purest gold coin ever made and carried a face value of C$1 million ($900,000 in U.S. dollars).

In 2012, the Perth Mint beat that record, casting the largest ever coin -- weighing one ton and measuring 31.4 inches in diameter.

image >>

If folks want to refer to these publicity monstrosities as "coins", then I suppose they could be considered the "largest" ever "made" but these were never really "minted".
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>If folks want to refer to these publicity monstrosities as "coins", then I suppose they could be considered the "largest" ever "made" but these were never really "minted". >>

Why wouldn't they be minted?
  • DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    None of these are coins.......just bullion.
  • GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 17,071 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>None of these are coins.......just bullion. >>

This

<< <i>None of these are coins.......just bullion. >>

They most certainly are coins and one doesn't necessarily preclude the other. Bullion frequently comes in the form of common date .900 silver coins frequently traded in $1000 face value bags. Common date circulated double eagles and silver dollars trade as bullion and they are also considered to be coins.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PerryHall is correct...they are coins. The 'bullion vs. coins' debate is nugatory at best.... Cheers, RickO
  • 19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,490 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>If folks want to refer to these publicity monstrosities as "coins", then I suppose they could be considered the "largest" ever "made" but these were never really "minted". >>

Why wouldn't they be minted? >>

Because they are not minted. They are cast then polished.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,285 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

Because they are not minted. They are cast then polished. >>

I'm not familiar with the production techniques used on these two pieces. but I suspect that the Canadian one was produced by directly machining a large piece of gold, followed by polishing, and then parts were masked off and the remaining exposed surfaces were sandblasted.
    The Australian one looks like it was cast in a mold, and then selectively polished.

So doubt that either one was actually struck by dies.
  • LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,710 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>image >>

Are we entirely certain that this isn't just a large wheel of cheddar cheese with an image of some woman on it?
  • DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    >>>They most certainly are coins and one doesn't necessarily preclude the other. Bullion frequently comes in the form of common date .900 silver coins frequently traded in $1000 face value bags. Common date circulated double eagles and silver dollars trade as bullion and they are also considered to be coins. <<<

They most certainly are NOT coins.......They ARE bullion!
  • mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 6,193 ✭✭✭✭✭
    wrong thread

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 6,193 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are we entirely certain that this isn't just a large wheel of cheddar cheese with an image of some woman on it?

Make no mistake.That is the Queen.

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

Because they are not minted. They are cast then polished. >>

I'm not familiar with the production techniques used on these two pieces. but I suspect that the Canadian one was produced by directly machining a large piece of gold, followed by polishing, and then parts were masked off and the remaining exposed surfaces were sandblasted.
    The Australian one looks like it was cast in a mold, and then selectively polished.

So doubt that either one was actually struck by dies. >>

Does Minted = Struck?

<< <i>No, it's the a $50 Pan Pacific. It is from down under.

[...]

[...] >>

With both coins carrying a $1M face value, the Canadian one is worth more at current exchange rates.
  • DavideoDavideo Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>>>>They most certainly are coins and one doesn't necessarily preclude the other. Bullion frequently comes in the form of common date .900 silver coins frequently traded in $1000 face value bags. Common date circulated double eagles and silver dollars trade as bullion and they are also considered to be coins. <<<

They most certainly are NOT coins.......They ARE bullion! >>

How do you define coins? It seems the dictionary definition would likely include most bullion. It seems like the question is whether bullion can be used as money. Normal bullion can be, these big pieces make for a slightly more difficult argument.

<< <i>

<< <i>>>>They most certainly are coins and one doesn't necessarily preclude the other. Bullion frequently comes in the form of common date .900 silver coins frequently traded in $1000 face value bags. Common date circulated double eagles and silver dollars trade as bullion and they are also considered to be coins. <<<

How do you define coins? It seems the dictionary definition would likely include most bullion. It seems like the question is whether bullion can be used as money. Normal bullion can be, these big pieces make for a slightly more difficult argument. >>

Normal bullion, like Kruggerands and bars don't have legal tender value, but NCLT does.
  • DavideoDavideo Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭✭
    Legal tender is different than money.
  • lavalava Posts: 3,286 ✭✭✭

<< <i>image
    I'm pretty sure the Yap stone currency are larger.
    Whether they are "coins" or were "minted" is debatable. >>

Q: May I break this for change?

A: You must buy something.
    I brake for ear bars.

<< <i>Legal tender is different than money. >>

My point was that most people don't use bullion as money today.
  • illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

How do you define coins? It seems the dictionary definition would likely include most bullion. It seems like the question is whether bullion can be used as money. Normal bullion can be, these big pieces make for a slightly more difficult argument. >>

Normal bullion, like Kruggerands and bars don't have legal tender value, but NCLT does. >>

Actually, Krugerrands are legal tender even though they do not have a face value on them. The legal tender value of a Krugerrand is equal to the current gold value.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file