Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

1950s BABE RUTH Foundation Sportsmanship Award Plaque displayed in schools - Update: The Boxed Awar

Hi everyone

I like to pick up pins/awards but the plaque that goes with the Ruth "award" has eluded me for years. I sniped one a few years ago and it didn't go thru - very rare and disappointing.

A little background.

In May of 1947, Mr Ruth established and made the first contribution to the Babe Ruth Foundation, Inc.; an organization whose resources were to be devoted to the interests of unprivileged youth. A large chunk of his estate went to the foundation when he died in 1948.

In fact, in September of 1947, he returned to Yankee Stadium for anOld-timer’s Day Game. It included such immortals as Ty Cobb, Tris Speaker, Cy Young, George Sisler, Waite Hoyt, Bob Meusel and Chief Bender. With the Babe looking on (very ill with cancer), the vets played a two inning game. The entire day’s receipts were turned over to the foundation.

This pic is dated Sep. 1947:

In the early 50s, the foundation created the Babe Ruth Foundation Sportsmanship Award. Over 2000 schools around the country participated. One girl and one boy were selected by the school to receive the award. The main purpose of the program was to promote good sportsmanship and honesty around the country among children. I’m assuming that the foundation felt kids needed this type of encouragement, which emphasized strong family ties e.g.

The winners of the award were given a medallion, manufactured by Balfour (who also makes WS Press Pins and Championship Rings e.g.), and their names were placed on a plaque which was displayed in the school.

I’ve included a copy of a newspaper article and a photo from another paper showing two youths receiving the award.

Here's an awarded Medal I picked up a while back - it was awarded to L. Hackett in 1954.

And here's the plaque that arrived yesterday. These hung in High School trophy cases all over the US. The award is still being given today - the plaque is a little different.

It's well made - 10X14" - unused. What would've been the odds of getting one with L. Hackett?

The Ruth medallion on the plaque is about 5" in diameter and a work of art.

The company placard on the back is also very nicely made:

This will make a very nice display - but more importantly for me - it's a piece of history.

To add, over the years the award plaque has changed - here's a pic from a 2013 "foundation award" ceremony:

IMO, the "old" plaque is nicer looking.

As always, thanx for viewing. This display sure took me a long time to complete but well worth it. Since I'll never have the money to afford anything directly "Ruth" - this is a really nice approximation for me - it's part of his legacy. image
Mike

Comments

• esquiresportsesquiresports Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭
    Awesome pick-up and a great story. Congrats! The version you tracked down is obviously much nicer aesthetically than the current one. I like how yours has a medallion that mimics the actual award.
    Always buying 1971 OPC Baseball packs.
  • DanBessetteDanBessette Posts: 6,422
    Wow, Mike, awesome write up. Thank you for that. What a unique item for your collection!
  • dennis07dennis07 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭
    Awesome that you collect these. Thanks for posting as I had no idea they even existed.
    Collecting 1970 Topps baseball
  • jmaciujmaciu Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭
    Congrats on another treasure, Mike. That would have been a cool award to win back in the day.
  • Great stuff, Mike. We need more threads like these.
  • WhiteTornadoWhiteTornado Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭
    Neat story, thanks for sharing. I also like the older plaque with the pseudo-medallion on top.
  • tsalems1tsalems1 Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭
    That is nice

Great pick up!
    www.OPCBASEBALL.com

Email: OPCBASEBALL@YAHOO.COM

Follow OPCBASEBALL.COM on Facebook
  • Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanx for the kind words guys!

I've always been intrigued by the "story" behind players and I actually find these things out by accident.

As I "search" for games, I come across these items.

I sure appreciate the kind words you give me - sharing is better part of collecting for me.

Ya know? It's not the size of a collection or the value that I appreciate - but rather the "interest and passion" behind the collector that attracts my attention - I believe many share this with me.
    Mike
  • WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Very nice Mike. Thanks for sharing.

Good for you.
  • PiggsPiggs Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭✭
    Great item Mike. Such a well made plaque and you're right, they don't make them like they used to do they? Thanks for sharing. Doug
  • Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi everyone

Have been waiting for one of these to show up for years and years!

The original Balfour Box and Award given to kids in schools all over the US - still active today!

This will make a nice display down the road along side my Babe Ruth Quaker cereal premiums and Kellogg's Shredded Wheat baseball rings. image

If there's any interest? I'll post on the Quaker premiums - I've got quite a few now.

Mike
  • BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 7,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice score. I enjoyed this thread when first posted by you. Great historical items. Always sad to see the Babe in a photo (above) when he was suffering from cancer. I for one would like to see the Quaker Premiums. Thanks.
    Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭
    Love this collection Mike and would love to see the Quaker Premiums.
    Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com
  • Show me the Quakers!!