Home Precious Metals
Options

What percentage of "premium" precious metals do you like to keep?

jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,380 ✭✭✭✭✭
If you're into bars, what % of your holdings are something more than just bullion?

If you stack coins, how heavy do you get into the Mint's "collector bullion" issues?

I try to keep a fairly even mix. I don't particularly like paying the premiums, but when metals decide to travel back up the price curve, I've always found that the premiums on collector bullion increase quickly as well.

One last side question - I know that many posters here like foreign issues of precious metal bullion bars & coins. Do you ever sell, and how easily have you been able to liquidate at reasonable levels?

Your thoughts?
Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.

Comments

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,849 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like to trade so I have enough of each shape for calling customers.

Yesterday I got a call for ""SILVER BULLETS" . I tried to talk her into eagles.
  • Options
    rawteam1rawteam1 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭
    Werewolf sightings?...
    keceph `anah
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I keep proofs and business strikes.... also have novelty items like silver bullets, silver skulls and other bullion pieces.... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    OperationButterOperationButter Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    70% collector and 30% bullion, more weighted in gold than silver than I would like. Think my ratio is roughly 17:1.

No foreign coins for me really.

Right now it seems that coins under $250 are selling much faster than coins over that benchmark on ebay. More scarce coins have the most views/watchers though. All sales have been at retail pricing.
    Gold is for savings. Fiat is for transactions.

BST Transactions (as the seller): Collectall, GRANDAM, epcjimi1, wondercoin, jmski52, wheathoarder, jay1187, jdsueu, grote15, airplanenut, bigole
  • Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have stuff from everywhere. I generally don't buy the foreign bullion unless a sale is popping and the spread is similar to eagle or maples or less. If it's the same buck or 2 over on something I'll bite to keep the pirate chest full of variety. And I have a good bit of variety.
  • Options
    joefrojoefro Posts: 1,872 ✭✭
    If I see a piece of fancy bullion I like at a price I like, I buy it.

If I see a piece of generic bullion I like at a price I like, I buy it.

Quotas, ratios, and budgets be damned!

Over the years I'd have to guess it has come out to around 50/50 (value-wise, not price-wise). Definitely not very heavy on one or the other.
    Lincoln Cent & Libertad Collector
  • Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The goal for me is to acquire pieces with a perceived premium without paying for that premium.

If I can get old Engelhards at or near melt, I'm all about it. Ditto classic gold in nice condition.

It doesn't happen very often. It might require a little extra legwork. Or you might have to wait until that moment when the market fluctuates in such a way that what usually has a premium doesn't at that point in time. But you know you'll make that effort back when it comes time to sell.
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    seebelowseebelow Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭
    in general i just buy AGEs and then bullion etc when the price is right/better at that time...it seems that percentage is greatly increasing faster than i would want. meaning id rather have more AGEs vs...
    Interested in higher grade vintage cards. Aren't we all. image
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,849 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Werewolf sightings?… >>

LOL… Sons who are hunters, sport's enthusiasts.
    I tried to downplay the "one" for the other.
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,209 ✭✭✭✭✭
    99% American Eagles.
    Silver - 99% bulk bullion eagles, 1% ATB pucks bullion issue
    Gold - 60% graded W eagles, 40% graded and ungraded bulk bullion eagles

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,667 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The goal for me is to acquire pieces with a perceived premium without paying for that premium.

If I can get old Engelhards at or near melt, I'm all about it. Ditto classic gold in nice condition.

It doesn't happen very often. It might require a little extra legwork. Or you might have to wait until that moment when the market fluctuates in such a way that what usually has a premium doesn't at that point in time. But you know you'll make that effort back when it comes time to sell. >>

Ditto.

Spot + $1.25 back when it was $9 per oz.
  • Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,504 ✭✭✭
    I usually collect "collector bullion".