Home Metal Detecting
Options

May 6, 2015: Four coins, and the newest is 1875-CC dime!

pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭✭
edited to fix a typo that was bothering me

Found a new area today. For the first 4 hours or so, it was slooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooow. Managed a couple of buttons, some musketball-like things and other lead objects, and a fatty IHC. Unfortunately can't get a date off it, but it weighs 3.5 grams. Tried the larger of two sections first, and just figured I would go quickly around the small section at the end of the hunt. I was tired and didn't really feel like going much longer. Then got some kind of copper! Got a couple more round balls. Then got a nice solid signal. Out pops a seated dime! Then a few minutes later another copper. Should have started with this section first! It was getting dark so I had to leave.

Got home, and the first copper is unfortunately toast. The second copper looks to be a KG II. Can make out a few outlines. The dime is an 1875-CC! Looks to have some meat left on it, but the coloration isn't pretty. Any suggestions? Or just leave as-is?

Might have to get back out there tomorrow. HH all!

Comments

• Options
    Bayard1908Bayard1908 Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭✭
    I don't think dipping that dime would make it look any worse.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't think dipping would do much of anything to that dime, at least not with regular old EZ-Est commercial coin dip. That's got a pretty thick "skin" of patination on it.

Might be worth trying the peroxide treatment or electrolysis, but I dunno.

Congrats on a CC coin!

<< <i>For the first 4 hours or so, it was slooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooow. Managed a couple of buttons, some musketball-like things and other lead objects, and a fatty IHC >>

Crispy critter or not, a fatty copper-nickel IHC would make my day, as I still have yet to find one of those, or any Flying Eagles.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice finds..that area will require some more time... I would soak the dime in Ezest....then roll a Qtip across the surface a few times and resoak... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>For the first 4 hours or so, it was slooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooow. Managed a couple of buttons, some musketball-like things and other lead objects, and a fatty IHC >>

Crispy critter or not, a fatty copper-nickel IHC would make my day, as I still have yet to find one of those, or any Flying Eagles. >>

I found a couple of them last year in roll searches - one was in a customer wrapped roll, the other in a bank wrapped roll. The first was barely identifiable - but the second is probably VG-8 or so.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You must have hit some sort of camp site with all of those musket balls. Are some of them mini balls
  • Options
    WhiteTornadoWhiteTornado Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭

<< <i>You must have hit some sort of camp site with all of those musket balls. Are some of them mini balls >>

Great finds! Per PPC's question, did you find any black glass fragments while digging? That could be another sign of finding an encampment site.
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,503 ✭✭✭✭✭
    neat scores. i like the 1875 dime best
  • Options
    demodiggerdemodigger Posts: 1,012
    Finding 1700's coppers out here is a rare thing. I've only found a few in the past 30 years.
    As for cleaning silver I use olive oil and salt. Put oil on coin and rub salt on it with fingers. It should clean it and leave no scratches
  • Options
    pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the info Demo. Will have to try it out on some recent silvers to see how well it works. Then work up to the CC dime.

Certainly no complaints here on the east coast for being able to find older coppers. CA does have some pretty good stuff too though.