Home Precious Metals

Is this APMEX 5 oz Silver Bar Fake?

GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,460 ✭✭✭✭✭
The font appears to be different than what is currently shown on The APMEX Site. image

Below is a bar photo taken from APMEX Site for comparison. Putting the photos together it appears that the 1st bar is different.

REAL 1 OZ APMEX BAR

Thanks, GrandAm image
GrandAm :)

Comments

• BlackBeardBlackBeard Posts: 1,064
    Not sure, but anytime you get a bar in a hard plastic case be on alert. One of the signs of the fake bars is a smaller radius on the corners than the real thing. The radius does appear a bit smaller on the first bar but I can't say for sure.

Edit: More noticeable on the inside of the corner edge, if that makes sense.
    Witty sig line currently under construction. Thank you for your patience.
  • rawteam1rawteam1 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭
    In plastic = fake...
    keceph `anah
  • OPAOPA Posts: 17,118 ✭✭✭✭✭
    chances are good that the bar is a fake, although our "friends" only have the 1 oz fakes and no 5 oz APMEX fakes on their site.

fake APMEX
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>In plastic = fake... >>

This
  • GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,460 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>In plastic = fake... >>

-----------------------------

That is what first caught my attention,,, I have read that here before.

That is what caused me to check at APMEX. Also I then noticed the difference in the font on the two bars and I also have read here about the corners before and noticed that.

Much easier to see when both bars are together to compare them.

Thanks for the replies, GrandAm image
  • GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,460 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>chances are good that the bar is a fake, although our "friends" only have the 1 oz fakes and no 5 oz APMEX fakes on their site.

fake APMEX >>

----------------------------------------------------

My bad image

In checking the auction closer it was for (5) 1 oz bars,,,,,, I misread it and thought is was (1) 5 oz bar,,,,,

GrandAm image
  • Booger9989Booger9989 Posts: 407 ✭✭✭
    As others have said..... run and run as fast as you can! I fear for people who bought these over the years that when it's time to sell then will be very upset.
    Positive BST Deals as a seller : Wondercoin, Chumlee, Jerster, Perry Hall , DMarks, MWK, drewsef, SoCalBigMark, Lakesammman, Nurmaler
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,918 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It may very well be fake but you can buy plastic capsules for silver bars from internet coin supply sites and from major bullion dealers so the capsule alone doesn't automatically make it a fake.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

• MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,712 ✭✭✭✭✭
    can you post up an authentic 1oz for comparison?

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • BlackBeardBlackBeard Posts: 1,064

<< <i>It may very well be fake but you can buy plastic capsules for silver bars from internet coin supply sites and from major bullion dealers so the capsule alone doesn't automatically make it a fake. >>

I was wondering if their sales of the plastic holders are down to collectors as they are now often associated with fakes. I wouldn't try to sell a bar in a hard plastic holder.
    Witty sig line currently under construction. Thank you for your patience.
  • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,712 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just looking at the corners and border, I'd say fake

The border is too thick and the corners too tight.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>It may very well be fake but you can buy plastic capsules for silver bars from internet coin supply sites and from major bullion dealers so the capsule alone doesn't automatically make it a fake. >>

I was wondering if their sales of the plastic holders are down to collectors as they are now often associated with fakes. I wouldn't try to sell a bar in a hard plastic holder. >>

Pretty much every listing I've seen on alibaba for these things have the plastic capsules around the bars. While yes, you can buy the capsules, I wouldn't buy a modern bar of silver in a hard plastic case ever.
  • ashelandasheland Posts: 23,039 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll add that I don't like the look of it.