Home Precious Metals

100 oz Silver Bar from 1960s San Fran Mint

I have come across a bar that came from the SF mint/assay office in the 60s. Its about 100oz. I didnt take the official weight but for the sake of discussion lets say its 100oz. Silver certs were redeemed for it back in the 60s from this collector, original owner, but no other documentation comes with it. Anyone have any additional information on these type of bars. What kinds of premium and collectiblity are associated with it?

I dont have access to it so no pics, sorry!

From what Ive found online, if one converted a lot of silver certs they would get it in bar form. It was grease pencil marked and wrapped in a paper bag then taped shut. This bar still had the markings on it, but they were faded and smeared a bit.

Any info or links would be greatly appreciated.
Gold is for savings. Fiat is for transactions.

BST Transactions (as the seller): Collectall, GRANDAM, epcjimi1, wondercoin, jmski52, wheathoarder, jay1187, jdsueu, grote15, airplanenut, bigole

Comments

• derrybderryb Posts: 36,118 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rare or not, if it didn't have some type of permanent marking, I wouldn't want the hassle of trying to resell it.

The decline from democracy to tyranny is both a natural and inevitable one.

• OperationButterOperationButter Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    It looks just like this bar with the stamp on it.

Link

BST Transactions (as the seller): Collectall, GRANDAM, epcjimi1, wondercoin, jmski52, wheathoarder, jay1187, jdsueu, grote15, airplanenut, bigole
  • derrybderryb Posts: 36,118 ✭✭✭✭✭
    cool bar, shame they didn't stamp the weight, but no biggie.

The decline from democracy to tyranny is both a natural and inevitable one.

• LukeMarshallLukeMarshall Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In my experience, the San Francisco Assay bars are quite collectable and sell for many multiples of spot... depending on the weight.

As I understand, and with most collectable bullion, the smaller size bars, in particular the 5oz or close to thereof are highly desirable and can sell for thousands of dollars.

The larger bars, ie 100, 200+ oz do not fetch nearly as high a premium, but can and will sell over spot. This is true of the New York assay office bars as well.

If nothing else your friend has a wonderful piece of history and in a well promoted auction, may be surprised at the price realization.

It's all about what the people want...

• piecesofmepiecesofme Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭
    What LukeMarshall said. I recently sold a 5.13 oz'er locally for $1700.
    The one you're talking about wont go for near that premium, but it will have a premium of at least 20-30% over Spot i'd wager.
    To forgive is to free a prisoner, and to discover that prisoner was you.
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Likely the best premium will be achieved through an auction - professional auction...but then there are the fee's... Cheers, RickO
  • rawteam1rawteam1 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Likely the best premium will be achieved through an auction - professional auction...but then there are the fee's... Cheers, RickO >>

Lol, then it's a wash selling at spot here or anywhere else non auction ....
    keceph `anah
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,301 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've read a few times in the past that San Francisco Mint silver bars are being counterfeited in various sizes so be very careful. Not sure where to go to get one authenticated.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• piecesofmepiecesofme Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭
    I've read a few times in the past that San Francisco Mint silver bars are being counterfeited in various sizes so be very careful. Not sure where to go to get one authenticated

The site the OP provided showing the example of the bar seems to be a very good place to start. The problem is, I don't see any way to contact the guy via the site.
    To forgive is to free a prisoner, and to discover that prisoner was you.
  • OperationButterOperationButter Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    appreciate the feedback, if you guys find more let me know. thanks

• Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sweet, thanks for the info guys !!! :-)
    Timbuk3