Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

German States (Saxony): copper 2-pfennig, 1869-B

German States (Saxony): copper 2-pfennig, 1869-B

Another recent German pickup (from a German dealer).

It's a nice Brown UNC with attractive, satiny toning. I was thinking it was a larger coin, for some reason, forgetting that a 2-pfennig piece is only about 19 mm, so about the size of a US cent rather than quarter- or half-dollar sized as I'd had it in my head. But that's OK. Even if it's a little smaller than expected, it's still a nice coin with that faint hint of color.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

Comments

• ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • brg5658brg5658 Posts: 2,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lovely coin! That's the kind of copper look I LOVE!
    -Brandon
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
    My sets: [280+ horse coins] :: [France Sowers] :: [Colorful world copper] :: [Beautiful world coins]
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

• GreigGreig Posts: 89 ✭✭
    Very pretty! My suspicion is that, eventually, all copper/bronze coin will oxidize to brown (even in slabs, I believe), which means that, in say 2500, most all of the fully red coins in existence today will end up looking brown. However, your coin has terrific luster and, with good care, should keep that for a very long time, I hope!!

Nice going.
  • BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>My suspicion is that, eventually, all copper/bronze coin will oxidize to brown (even in slabs, I believe), which means that, in say 2500, most all of the fully red coins in existence today will end up looking brown. >>

Lets all remember to come back to this thread in 485 years and see if Greig was right imageimage

Your post reminded me of this song Zager & Evans - "In The Year 2525"
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,209 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nicely done!

Looks 66RB from my screen image
  • GreigGreig Posts: 89 ✭✭
    Well, I (for one) plan to be around in 2500. Of course, not sure what my degree of consciousness will be...

I would be curious if other agree that, over the long haul, no copper/bronze coin can be preserved as red. I am not a chemist, but absent some form of inert atmosphere (slabs with argon or nitrogen gas?), I don't see how oxidation can be prevented. My comment about the year 2500 was sort of aimed at drawing folks out on that question...

Anybody knowledgeable in this area?
  • SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,445 ✭✭✭✭
    I can't pretend to be knowledgeable, but I too love this color on copper coins.Very pretty and a 66BN IMHO. image
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Nicely done!

Looks 66RB from my screen image >>

I would say BN rather than RB, but 66 would be nice! image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,209 ✭✭✭✭✭
    well my screen shows some red on this one so I suppose I'll go with 66BN for now - either way it sweet! image
  • PatARPatAR Posts: 347 ✭✭✭
    Very attractive copper, Lord M!