Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The history of the $4 Stella

In 1879, John A. Kasson serving as the United States minister to Austria believed it would be in the best interest of the United States to participate in a European program set to standardize world gold coinage and proposed a metric coin. It was determined that the Three Dollar gold coin was too light and the Five Dollar gold coin was too heavy to fall within the proposed European Standard, which was based on the French franc. With the world in economic turmoil over the gold market and the new silver strikes in Nevada, lobbyists for both gold and silver mining, began to come to blows over the proposed metric coinage.

After a number of pattern metric coins were reviewed, the most palatable to Congress was that of a Four Dollar gold coin. Charles E. Barber, Chief Engraver, and George T. Morgan, Assistant Engraver, for the United States Mint, were tasked to offer designs for the new Four Dollar gold coin.

It was decided that the Star was a recognizable American symbol; it would be used in the design on the Four Dollar coin for overseas trade. Thus the name for the coin became Stella, the Latin word for Star. Charles E. Barbers design for the obverse of the Four Dollar gold coin featured a flowing hair Miss Liberty.

At the six o'clock position of the coin is the date and encircling the image of Liberty the inscription: *6*G*.3*S*.7*C*7*G*R*A*M*S*. The central feature of the reverse is a five-point star. In the center of the star is the legend ONE STELLA 400 CENTS. The outer perimeter inscription: UNITED STATES OF AMERICA FOUR DOL. The outer inscriptions are: E PLURIBUS UNUM (in many, one), and DEO EST GLORIA (God is glorious).

There were a mere fifteen Flowing Hair Stella Four Dollar gold pattern coins minted for this date in this metallurgic composition Gold (85.71%), Silver (4.29%), and Copper (10%). The United States government never became part of the European 'Common Market,' and consideration for a standard gold coin was discontinued. Catalog references: Judd 1635a, Pollock 1832, Adams-Woodin 1575.

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the history and the pictures...... where are the fifteen coins?? Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    StaircoinsStaircoins Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Thanks for the history and the pictures...... where are the fifteen coins?? Cheers, RickO >>

One of them is in the Simi Valley Dump, I believe, Rick. You might ask FW for the particulars. image

• Options
    DentuckDentuck Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭
    John Kasson was U.S. envoy extraordinary and minister plenipotentiary to Austria-Hungary.

• Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did you mean to post the 1880 instead of the 1879??

I bought the coin below because of the beautiful toning that resulted in part from the silver content. The Silver % is hidden by the CAC sticker but you can do the math. image

Roger Burdette has written a lengthy article (150 pages or so) on bimetallic/goloid/metric coins in the Journal of Numismatic Research, including the Stella.

Fascinating reading. It is sold through Wizard Supply, only $20.

Wizard Supply page to order article.

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,072 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Did you mean to post the 1880 instead of the 1879??

I bought the coin below because of the beautiful toning that resulted in part from the silver content. The Silver % is hidden by the CAC sticker but you can do the math. image

Roger Burdette has written a lengthy article (150 pages or so) on bimetallic/goloid/metric coins in the Journal of Numismatic Research, including the Stella.

Fascinating reading. It is sold through Wizard Supply, only $20.

Wizard Supply page to order article.

image >>

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,523 ✭✭✭✭✭
    the $4 stellas are really neat to look at fwiw image
  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Research the history of the flowing hair Liberty design.

Charles Barber designed this flowing hair Liberty on a 1878 dated $5 pattern shortly before he died.

Charles Barber merely copied his father's great work.

A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Did you mean to post the 1880 instead of the 1879??[/.q]
    I don't own a Stella (I chose to buy a house instead) so I pulled a photo from the Internet. The 1879 picture was huge, so I edited it for a smaller photo instead.
    Your 1879 is awesome beyond words. Thanks for sharing it.

• Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lakes' Stella is the most beautiful coin I have ever had the pleasure to study in hand.
    The toning is gorgeous and so is the unique design.
  • Options
    pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭
    beautiful coins! What does the left lettering on the obverse mean?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file