Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

PCGS New Certification Verification Page

PCGS has updated their certification verification landing page. Looks good!

Link

Comments

• Options
    StuartStuart Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree and also like the new look! image

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

"Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity"
  • Options
    MonsterCoinzMonsterCoinz Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It broke my app but it looks nicer now!
    www.MonsterCoinz.com | My Toned Showcase

Check out my iPhone app SlabReader!
  • Options
    lavalava Posts: 3,286 ✭✭✭
    It helps when the coin is worth 25k.
    I brake for ear bars.
  • Options
    CuKevinCuKevin Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭✭
    Great update!
    Choice Numismatics www.ChoiceCoin.com

CN eBay

All of my collection is in a safe deposit box!
  • Options
    brg5658brg5658 Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't see any substantive improvements. Looks to be solely cosmetic...am I missing something?

And, here we sit, replying on a forum using 1999 technology! lol
    -Brandon
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
    My sets: [280+ horse coins] :: [France Sowers] :: [Colorful world copper] :: [Beautiful world coins]
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

• Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They show the population which is fine and has always been shown but without any context it really does not mean much.
    It would be nice if they showed how many examples have been graded higher and how many have been graded across
    all grades and then maybe estimated surviving examples if they have that data. Just a couple more data fields that they have.

This idea would be a big help so that we don't have to jump through hoops of fire going to other resources looking up this
    commonly desired information.
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options

<< <i>They show the population which is fine and has always been shown but without any context it really does not mean much.
    It would be nice if they showed how many examples have been graded higher and how many have been graded across
    all grades and then maybe estimated surviving examples if they have that data. Just a couple more data fields that they have.

This idea would be a big help so that we don't have to jump through hoops of fire going to other resources looking up this
    commonly desired information. >>

BUT, they want you to pay for that information (estimated survivors) via CoinFacts subscription...
    -Brandon
    My sets: [280+ horse coins] :: [France Sowers] :: [Colorful world copper] :: [Beautiful world coins]

• Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>They show the population which is fine and has always been shown but without any context it really does not mean much.

commonly desired information. >>

BUT, they want you to pay for that information (estimated survivors) via CoinFacts subscription... >>

Oh, my bad. What about the other? Pop graded higher and total graded. That would be helpful to put things into context.
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    cointimecointime Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks ok to me. I did notice something was left out. Before, if the coin is in a Secure Plus holder and you also had a TV taken, both photos where available. Now it looks like if there is a TV the security scan is not available.

1964 Quarter
  • Options
    stealerstealer Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭✭
    Yuck it looks tacky. The old version was very basic, but professional.
  • Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I now have to scroll down to bring the data entry form into view. That should be at the top of the page,
    or at least near the top. As someone noted, this appears to be strictly a cosmetic change, and the
    ergonomics are worse.
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The placeholder image is a bit disorienting since it doesn't match the coin type being searched. It would be cool if the "No Image Found" placeholder image matched the coin type.

For example SCD PCGS 31775278:

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just noticed that. Threw me off for a second.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    fastfreddiefastfreddie Posts: 2,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I now have to scroll down to bring the data entry form into view. That should be at the top of the page,
    or at least near the top. As someone noted, this appears to be strictly a cosmetic change, and the
    ergonomics are worse. >>

+1 Why oh why is it at the bottom. If there is one thing I cannot stand is additional keystrokes or mouse movements or resizing. I realize not everything can always fit but the top would be much more convenient but then most would probably never see the bottom of the page then.

On the plus side, If you didn't see the very bottom there is a free 10 day trial to Coinfacts!!

Freddie
    It is not that life is short, but that you are dead for so very long.
  • Options
    commoncents05commoncents05 Posts: 10,078 ✭✭✭
    I agree it is irritating that it is at the bottom of the page. Also, on the old page you could just start typing the cert number, but now you have to scroll down, click in the box, and then start typing. I'll never get those two seconds of my life back...

-Paul
    Many Quality coins for sale at http://www.CommonCentsRareCoins.com
  • Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I agree it is irritating that it is at the bottom of the page. Also, on the old page you could just start typing the cert number, but now you have to scroll down, click in the box, and then start typing. I'll never get those two seconds of my life back...

-Paul >>

Liked the number entry on the top and ready to go.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ya kinda cool buy ATS if you look up a new cert a photo of the holder pop's up on all the new holders new that's very cool. image

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,915 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I agree it is irritating that it is at the bottom of the page. Also, on the old page you could just start typing the cert number, but now you have to scroll down, click in the box, and then start typing. I'll never get those two seconds of my life back...

-Paul >>

Liked the number entry on the top and ready to go. >>

Ditto...put the certification number back on top. Other than that it is...ok, but I prefer the old versus the new.
    oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭
    Verification of certification numbers on the PCGS Certification Database does not eliminate the risk of buying counterfeit and altered coins. Though uncommon, counterfeiters may also counterfeit PCGS grading inserts using actual certification numbers derived from public sources.

As a general rule, PCGS encourages the purchase of PCGS verified coins from PCGS Authorized Dealers.

I guess they couldn't come out and say "Don't buy fake Chinese coins on eBay"
  • Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sweet, I like it !!! :-)
    Timbuk3
  • Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,876 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If it works and is easy to use, its fine by me
  • Options

I want to thank you all for your suggestions on our new Cert Verification page. I agree with the members about having the cert input box at the top (as well as the bottom of the page) and we will work on adding back this functionality in the very near future along w/ the cursor being focused in it so that member commoncents05 can have his 2 seconds of life back. image

Also, we will probably change the image not found image to prevent any user confusion that the image was intended to be that coin. As far as the suggestion of Pop graded higher and total graded being shown I will see what can be done about adding it.

Thanks,

Mike Provencio
    PCGS Software Project Manager
  • Options
    Mike, Thanks for acting on our feedback and also for taking the time to post a status update here.

• Options
    We have updated the cert verification with the input box on the top w/ the focus being set into it. This will allow you to enter a new cert w/o having your hands leaving the keyboard. Also, the image not found thumbnail placeholder has been updated to be a non-identifiable coin to avoid any confusion. Thanks again for your feedback and hope you like the changes.

Thanks,

Mike Provencio
  • Options
    Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just tried it and it is working great and looks great. Thanks!
  • Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice work Mike.
    Very slick now. image

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Options
    OperationButterOperationButter Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    Very nice update, thanks Mike.

Gold is for savings. Fiat is for transactions.

BST Transactions (as the seller): Collectall, GRANDAM, epcjimi1, wondercoin, jmski52, wheathoarder, jay1187, jdsueu, grote15, airplanenut, bigole
  • Options

<< <i>We have updated the cert verification with the input box on the top w/ the focus being set into it. This will allow you to enter a new cert w/o having your hands leaving the keyboard. Also, the image not found thumbnail placeholder has been updated to be a non-identifiable coin to avoid any confusion. Thanks again for your feedback and hope you like the changes.

Thanks,

Mike Provencio
    PCGS Software Project Manager >>

Can you add back the functionality to world coin look-ups that used to take you directly to the population data for a coin?

With these new "updates" that no longer works. On the old version, anytime I would certification-verify a world (non-USA) coin, I could click on a link right there and it would bring up the full population data and any CoinFacts images of examples of the type if they existed. This was ALWAYS free and not a part of a (for a fee) CoinFacts membership. Now it's gone...sadly.

For example, here is one of my coins. I used to be able to click into the populations direct from the Cert lookup page... and it would take me here.
    -Brandon

• Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

Can you add back the functionality to world coin look-ups that used to take you directly to the population data for a coin?

With these new "updates" that no longer works. On the old version, anytime I would certification-verify a world (non-USA) coin, I could click on a link right there and it would bring up the full population data and any CoinFacts images of examples of the type if they existed. This was ALWAYS free and not a part of a (for a fee) CoinFacts membership. Now it's gone...sadly.

For example, here is one of my coins. I used to be able to click into the populations direct from the Cert lookup page... and it would take me here. >>

Yes, please put back those links not only on the World Coins, but all other US issues that aren't part of the regular CoinFacts like tokens and medals... PCGS has the data for these issues and the World coins too and it was very convenient to access it that way.
  • Options

<< <i>We have updated the cert verification with the input box on the top w/ the focus being set into it. This will allow you to enter a new cert w/o having your hands leaving the keyboard. Also, the image not found thumbnail placeholder has been updated to be a non-identifiable coin to avoid any confusion. Thanks again for your feedback and hope you like the changes.

Thanks,

Mike Provencio

Thanks. I've noticed a couple of other subtle changes too. Hopefully nothing else changes for a while image

• Options
    @brg5658,

That was a good catch. I'm having a developer look into this issue. If it was in the previous version it should be available in this current version. I apologize for the inconvenience and will hopefully have it resolved shortly.

Thanks,

Mike Provencio
  • Options
    greenwrgreenwr Posts: 69 ✭✭
    How do you look up the Wells Fargo certs ? I remember it is add a letter or drop a number

• Options
    @brg5658,

We have added back the functionality of our value view for world coins. So, if you now go back the link of the cert you used as an example you will have a link to view the details of the coin. I apologize for the inconvenience it has caused anybody. I'm trying to do my best to give you a positive experience using our site.

Thanks,

Mike Provencio
  • Options

<< <i>@brg5658,

We have added back the functionality of our value view for world coins. So, if you now go back the link of the cert you used as an example you will have a link to view the details of the coin. I apologize for the inconvenience it has caused anybody. I'm trying to do my best to give you a positive experience using our site.

Thanks,

Mike Provencio

THANK YOU! image
    -Brandon

• Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks,

Mike Provencio

You're doing great, Mike. Thank you for these changes. I love the display of images (when available), the link to Coinfacts, and the auction results and links. Very cool.

FWIW, at the NGC cite you can't even paste-in a clipboard-copied cert#. You have to type each number individually. Dumb. Good thing I don't have to use it much.
    Lance.
  • Options
    @androiddev

It would also be really nice (as other TPG's have) to include a data point for Date Graded. It's certainly in a table somewhere, but it would be a helpful piece of information to know.

• Options

<< <i>@androiddev

It would also be really nice (as other TPG's have) to include a data point for Date Graded. It's certainly in a table somewhere, but it would be a helpful piece of information to know. >>

This information is kept secret intentionally, and probably for good reason.

What other TPG cites the date graded?
    Lance.
  • Options
    I know ICG does. Why would that be kept secret? You can get a ballpark idea of when it was just by looking at the cert # or plastic.

• Options

<< <i>

Thanks,

Mike Provencio

You're doing great, Mike. Thank you for these changes. I love the display of images (when available), the link to Coinfacts, and the auction results and links. Very cool.

FWIW, at the NGC cite you can't even paste-in a clipboard-copied cert#. You have to type each number individually. Dumb. Good thing I don't have to use it much.
    Lance. >>

Lance, this isn't an NGC problem. I paste in cert numbers on the NGC site all the time. Sounds more like a problem with whatever software you're using -- or maybe you're on an iPad or some other quasi-pseudo-computer gadget? It works just fine on an actual computer or laptop.
    -Brandon

• Options
    Thanks for that, brg5658.

It doesn't work on my desktop Mac using Safari. Nor a Macbook Pro or Macbook Air. Maybe a browser issue? But you'd think it would be tested for such a common platform.

Here is the link to the page I use.
    Lance.
  • Options

<< <i>Thanks for that, brg5658.

It doesn't work on my desktop Mac using Safari. Nor a Macbook Pro or Macbook Air. Maybe a browser issue? But you'd think it would be tested for such a common platform.

Here is the link to the page I use.
    Lance. >>

Works perfectly well on Firefox/Windoze 7. FYI.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file