Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

USPS is having issues lately

I have been a staunch USPS supporter for many years years and until recently(2015) they were my first choice for shipping coins. However, this year they started closing Sort facilities across the country which has had a devastating effect on their service. I have talked to several other people on this Board who have also noticed a huge drop off in service levels. Express is becoming two day service and Priority is turning into a week long wait in some cases. Registered has also been slow ( which is expected) but this is out of control:

Tracking Number:rb36742xxx1us
Tracking history
4/29/15 12:38 AM NEW YORK, NY 10199 Arrived at USPS Facility
4/24/15 9:29 PM KEARNY, NJ 07099 Arrived at USPS Facility
4/24/15 4:42 PM BEDMINSTER, NJ 07921 Departed Post Office
4/24/15 3:21 PM BEDMINSTER, NJ 07921 Acceptance

5 days to go 27 miles. I urge those who have had issues to write or call their Congressman or Senator. I am a small fry compared to some here but i do ship 5-10 things per week usually. I have kept a log and have been told by my local Postmaster that the only way things will improve is if you complain to USPS!! I suspect writing/calling your elected rep. will work better. Anyone else care to share your shipping experiences this year??? End of rant.......

Comments

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    you should probably contact your Senator or Congressman.

many people are under the misguided impression that the USPS gets Federal funds, they don't. they are self-funded. the current problems are the result of Congress forcing the USPS to fund their Pension Fund for a 75 year period within five years and it has put a burden on the best bargain in the land. I suppose that Congress has done this so they can figure out a way to raid the Pension just as they have raided Social Security.
  • Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>you should probably contact your Senator or Congressman.

many people are under the misguided impression that the USPS gets Federal funds, they don't. they are self-funded. the current problems are the result of Congress forcing the USPS to fund their Pension Fund for a 75 year period within five years and it has put a burden on the best bargain in the land. I suppose that Congress has done this so they can figure out a way to raid the Pension just as they have raided Social Security. >>

I heard rumors to the effect that lobbyists for UPS or Fedex instigated this
  • Options
    that may or may not be true but Congress passed the requirement.
  • Options
    bestdaybestday Posts: 4,220 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>that may or may not be true but Congress passed the requirement. >>

If Congress didn't require the yearly pension funding .. the P.O would a too big to fund failure down the road, that would be have to bailed out by Taxpayers..
  • Options
    the problem is that they were required to fund for 75 years within a five year period. something like that would put a strain on even the most successful and solvent private company.
  • Options
    hammer1hammer1 Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They will fund themselves like they always do, by increasing first class postage. With this new mandate, it will soon cost $2 to mail a letter.
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,209 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>5 days to go 27 miles. >>

Isn't that a registered tracking number?

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,166 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sad fact is that the ORIGINAL mandate to serve every address is the US means that their fixed costs don't drop in parallel with the drop in the number of 1st class letters being handled. You still have to drive a truck to every single address every single day, just to drop off the junk (3rd class or 'standard mail' as it's now known, a/k/a adverts). Yet when was the last time you received a real letter?

FYI - the junk travels at rates from 29.5c down to 15.3c per piece. 8.7c for a non-profit

-----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
  • Options
    GotTheBugGotTheBug Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 4, 2019 1:17PM
  • Options
    USMoneyloverUSMoneylover Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    I have had several packages sent out recently (some to forum members) that took up to 4 days just to make it to the sort facility after it's scanned at my local PO. Fortunately for me, everyone has been patient so far, but I always include tracking info too.
    Finest Coins and Relics
  • Options
    DavideoDavideo Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭✭
    Their pricing scheme for letters, while simple, doesn't make any financial sense. If I drop off a letter at the post office, it costs the same to deliver to a PO Box at that same post office as it does to deliver to Barrow Alaska. (And no, I don't live anywhere near Barrow)

It's also interesting to note that for packages they don't do "dimensional weight" like FedEx and UPS. So you can ship an empty refrigerator box for the 5 lb rate.

I want to see the post office be successful, but a lot of things don't make financial sense and it being run as a quasi-governmental organization I'm sure doesn't help.
  • Options
    FlatwoodsFlatwoods Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Sad fact is that the ORIGINAL mandate to serve every address is the US means that their fixed costs don't drop in parallel with the drop in the number of 1st class letters being handled. You still have to drive a truck to every single address every single day, just to drop off the junk (3rd class or 'standard mail' as it's now known, a/k/a adverts). Yet when was the last time you received a real letter?

FYI - the junk travels at rates from 29.5c down to 15.3c per piece. 8.7c for a non-profit >>

This isn't totally accurate. Lots of addresses cannot receive mail.
    I can't get mail at my home address.
  • Options
    I have a first class package on the truck for delivery today ( Chicago) shipped from California Monday. Priority service for first class cost.
  • Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Their pricing scheme for letters, while simple, doesn't make any financial sense. If I drop off a letter at the post office, it costs the same to deliver to a PO Box at that same post office as it does to deliver to Barrow Alaska. (And no, I don't live anywhere near Barrow)

It's also interesting to note that for packages they don't do "dimensional weight" like FedEx and UPS. So you can ship an empty refrigerator box for the 5 lb rate.

I want to see the post office be successful, but a lot of things don't make financial sense and it being run as a quasi-governmental organization I'm sure doesn't help. >>

They certainly do charge dimensional . Try sending priority in a box bigger than 12x12x12 beyond zone 5 image
  • Options
    DavideoDavideo Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Their pricing scheme for letters, while simple, doesn't make any financial sense. If I drop off a letter at the post office, it costs the same to deliver to a PO Box at that same post office as it does to deliver to Barrow Alaska. (And no, I don't live anywhere near Barrow)

I want to see the post office be successful, but a lot of things don't make financial sense and it being run as a quasi-governmental organization I'm sure doesn't help. >>

They certainly do charge dimensional . Try sending priority in a box bigger than 12x12x12 beyond zone 5 image >>

Ah, you are quite correct. Odd, that they don't for the other zones and only just charge extra for longer distances (though they do have balloon prices where you get charged for 20 pounds if it is really big for shorter distances).
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sure know that last year it did not take a week to get coins from David Lawrence. image
    Tracking says it will be here today ordered on the 22nd.
  • Options
    OperationButterOperationButter Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    my last 2 day priority mail took 8 or 9 days to get to the person that lived 2 states away. usps is full of fail.
    Gold is for savings. Fiat is for transactions.

BST Transactions (as the seller): Collectall, GRANDAM, epcjimi1, wondercoin, jmski52, wheathoarder, jay1187, jdsueu, grote15, airplanenut, bigole
  • Options
    3stars3stars Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had a large painting shipped from Northern Virginia to Alaska parcel select and it took 4 days to get here. Guess I got lucky.
    Previous transactions: Wondercoin, goldman86, dmarks, Type2
  • Options
    BigABigA Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭✭
    This Monday at noon I sent two 8.5 lb. boxes (over 12" long) Priority (for $9.52 each) from MA to Baltimore and Falls Church VA and they were both delivered an hour ago...(exactly 2 days)
  • Options
    fishcookerfishcooker Posts: 3,446 ✭✭
    I just shipped 2 boxes 1700 miles and it only took 2 days. Ordinary flat rate Priority.
  • Options
    TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭
    I have the same kind of issue, but with 1st class packages.
    Mine used to go to San Diego and then leave that day but now they go to a facility up north out in the boondocks where they sit for a couple of days.

I talked to the guy in charge of my PO and he said he didn't have any control over that and I should call the Consumer Affairs line (you can find yours here)

It turns out that office is run by government workers who don't care. image
  • Options
    RampageRampage Posts: 9,418 ✭✭✭✭
    I must be lucky, as I have had no problems. Very efficient service here.

• Options
    FlatwoodsFlatwoods Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have been mailing several packages each week priority mail. I ship Monday and they are always delivered Wednesday.
    This week I sent 6 packages on Monday. None of them were delivered on Wednesday.
  • Options
    lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,785 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If only 27 miles, and it was from CAC,
    You might like to drop off and pick up personally, I would prefer that myself.
    LCoopie = Les
  • Options
    VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I shipped an eBay sale on Monday and it was delivered Tuesday - 150 miles away. 1st Class package in less than 24 hrs.
  • Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't really worry about USPS shipping times as long as there is tracking. Once coins are shipped to customers it is out of my control - some things get there fast, some don't. They can check the tracking number to see where it is. I do insure almost all packages as breakage can occur not just theft.

For the most part items arrive in 2-3 days 1st class. Some metro areas are simply bad places to ship to or from. Even service in the same city can vary as the people working behind the counter at one PO can be much sharper and experienced than the ones working behind the counter at another who have problems even processing a simple, repetitive transaction.
    So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    NapNap Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I get annoyed when packages get tied up for long periods of time in sort facilities, or get routed across the country by mistake, but I'm still happy as long as they arrive safely. I buy a lot from overseas sellers, and the sort facility delays pale in comparison to the weeks that packages sometimes get caught up in customs.
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It may only have gone 27 miles but it's across state lines for one. And NY can be a black hole for REG mail, especially over a weekend. I've had REG packages sit in Jamaica Plains, NY for up to 5-7 days before they were sent on their way to me. One of those was from NGC in Florida. 4 days to NY, 5 days in Jamaica Plans, NY, then 2 more days to get to me. 11 days total. These days, I'm just happy IF it arrives. Been losing non-REG packages as of late.
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    3sidesofsilver3sidesofsilver Posts: 269 ✭✭✭
    Interesting. A recent shipment from Ian at GC took 3 days to go from Irvine to Anaheim, then 2 days to Harrisburg, PA. 3 days to cross the street, but 2 days to cross the country. Hmmm.
    --Craig
  • Options
    ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭
    I appreciate all the experiences posted. I've seen the same thing happen with shipments being good and VERY bad. But the bad now outweighs the good. Sad to see it headed south so fast this year.
  • Options
    pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭
    I have had no problems at all and am very satisfied with their service.
  • Options
    LALASD4LALASD4 Posts: 3,602 ✭✭✭
    The problems is with the new people at the sorting facilities and having too few sorting facilities. Everything that gets deliver to the local post offices gets deliver the save day.
    Coin Collector, Chicken Owner, Licensed Tax Preparer & Insurance Broker/Agent.
    San Diego, CA

• Options
    MoldnutMoldnut Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I have had no problems at all and am very satisfied with their service. >>

Derek

EAC 6024
  • Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,504 ✭✭✭
    I've noticed when I request signature confirmation, both electronic and the one that requires the pink form, I never get it when the item is delivered. It has happened about 2 times already in the past year. Never had that problem before. Dangerous when you do ebay which requires the signature confirmation. So far my buyers have been honest.
  • Options
    ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I have had no problems at all and am very satisfied with their service. >>

Good for you! You are lucky to have not yet seen the results of the cuts yet!
  • Options
    BigABigA Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>3 days to cross the street, >>

Heavy Traffic?
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

image >>

Likewise...image
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    GrumpyEdGrumpyEd Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭
    For years I've thought they should reduce delivery to 3 or 4 days a week instead of 6 days a week.
    Reduce waits at the PO and cut costs.

I'm ok to wait an extra day to get coins in the mail.
    Ed
  • Options
    LALASD4LALASD4 Posts: 3,602 ✭✭✭

<< <i>For years I've thought they should reduce delivery to 3 or 4 days a week instead of 6 days a week.
    Reduce waits at the PO and cut costs.

I'm ok to wait an extra day to get coins in the mail. >>

Mondays are 10+ hour days already, cutting deliver days will just increase overtime.
    Coin Collector, Chicken Owner, Licensed Tax Preparer & Insurance Broker/Agent.
    San Diego, CA

• Options
    Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

The question was asked, is that a registered package? If it is, not a fair comparison. My CAC packages take forever and they always arrive safe, but they are registered mail.

I dropped a first class packaged coin in the mail Saturday at 4 PM in WI and it was delivered on Maui that Monday morning. That is amazing to me.
  • Options
    from the replies it seems that service varies depending not so much on service type but on geographic location and staffing at sorting facilities. overall I think the USPS does a good job when you consider what they are required to do.
  • Options
    Just had one first class package take 6 days to go 10 miles, though there was a Sunday thrown in there.

April 20, 2015 , 7:42 am

Delivered

PLAISTOW, NH 03865

Your item was delivered at 7:42 am on April 20, 2015 in PLAISTOW, NH 03865.

April 20, 2015 , 7:36 am

Sorting Complete .

PLAISTOW, NH 03865

April 20, 2015 , 7:33 am

Arrived at Post Office .

PLAISTOW, NH 03865

April 15, 2015 , 10:27 pm

Departed USPS Facility .

BOSTON, MA 02205

April 15, 2015 , 6:03 am

Arrived at USPS Origin Facility .

BOSTON, MA 02205

April 14, 2015 , 6:15 pm

Shipping Label Created .

METHUEN, MA 01844

April 14, 2015 , 5:46 pm

Departed Post Office .

METHUEN, MA 01844

April 14, 2015 , 4:42 pm

Acceptance .

METHUEN, MA 01844

April 14, 2015

Pre-Shipment Info Sent to USPS .

• Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The PROBLEM is that nearly every state is beginning to MANDATE efiling of personal and business returns!!!

The various states should be ASHAMED of themselves.

They are going to kill off the post office system in every small town and as a result, destroy the small towns in every state and destroy the tax generating backbone of every state.

Governments killing off USPS by MANDATES!!!!

They want us to do their work!!!

A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    DBSTrader2DBSTrader2 Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭✭
    Not coins, but I sent my son an important package with an item he needed before leaving on a trip.

PA to DE.

Small padded envelope with 1-day Priority Mail.

Small enough to fit in his apartment building's standard, in-the-wall locked mail boxes.

Took 2 days to get there. Then tracking indicated a note was left and the package taken back to the local P.O. because there was "no secure location to leave the package".

Son went to P.O. next business day & found out that it had been delivered after all earlier that day...... waste of a trip, even though instructions said would remain at P.O. for his pick-up..........

HOW was a mailbox not a secure location in the first place, but then was the second time around?

What a joke...... I've now had SEVERAL packages sent 2-Day Priority that took longer, and no refund/recourse.... So what exactly are we paying a premium for?image
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,542 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow for me first class takes two days, sometime one throughout the Northeast. I think part of that reason is the Springfield, MA sort facility seems to be pretty efficient.

Something fishy is going on in New Jersey methinks.
  • Options
    agentjim007agentjim007 Posts: 6,256
    After sticking up for the PO twice my latest first class going out went from my PO to sort facility only to retun to my PO two days later. Now after a week it is in Chicago, about 40 miles away.
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,209 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When one considers the volume of items handled by USPS is it really fair to expect 100% perfection? I find their margin of error to be acceptable.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,992 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The question was asked, is that a registered package? If it is, not a fair comparison. My CAC packages take forever and they always arrive safe, but they are registered mail.

I dropped a first class packaged coin in the mail Saturday at 4 PM in WI and it was delivered on Maui that Monday morning. That is amazing to me. >>

Several weeks ago my mailperson picked up a first class package from my mailbox in Ames, IA at noon on a Tuesday and it was delivered in Honolulu on Friday evening.
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,218 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The PROBLEM is that nearly every state is beginning to MANDATE efiling of personal and business returns!!!

The various states should be ASHAMED of themselves.

They are going to kill off the post office system in every small town and as a result, destroy the small towns in every state and destroy the tax generating backbone of every state.

Governments killing off USPS by MANDATES!!!!

They want us to do their work!!! >>

they better find a way to make submission free for the masses then.

My tax software wanted $20 to efile state, so I printed it and mailed it in. I think the refund check came in 5 weeks. I'm not paying $20 to do something that should be much lower cost.

Also, for those looking to protest these mandates, one idea is simply to ask the tax software people to print a barcode of all the data on each page. The paper return could then be scanned in with little chance of error.

Although I'm not sure how this would work on fed forms. Think of all the data on a sched d page.

While I have noted my nearby sort facility has been slipping of late, it appears to have found an stopping point in its slide. Only some of the express mail is getting stuck for a day.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file