Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Interesting Odd Liberty Nickel Error

JeffMTampaJeffMTampa Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭✭✭
I recently purchased a 1894 Liberty Nickel in a NGC MS 63 holder; I plan on crossing it at PCGS. There's a very interesting error on the reverse I'm having a difficult time figuring it out:

There's a gouge in the fields through the word CENT. I'm guessing it was from a defective planchet. The odd thing is how perfectly struck the "E" is bridging over this gouge. When the coin was struck why did the metal flow so fully into the "E" but not fill the gouge? Has anyone encountered this before? Or am I getting this all wrong? image
I love them Barber Halves.....

Comments

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,566 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My guess would be a blob of hardened grease on the die that was only on the field. Whatever caused the smear, the metal motion in and out of the letters during previous strikes erased the grease from the lettering.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That certainly is different...have not seen that effect before. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fred will know. To me it looks like a gas bubble on type 1 planchet before polishing, then struck over with dies
  • Options
    The depression in the field has a granular appearance, as though it's raw unrolled/ unstruck metal. It doesn't look like something struck the planchet to cause the depression. But I also can't understand how the perfect looking "E" could bridge the gap if this were the case.

I can't imagine it's PMD unless someone very skillfully removed the metal (which it does not look like).
  • Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a 1999 silver proof set the reverse of the Lincoln showing the
    same thing (under the n on one) I think it's a planchet flaw , the
    bubble being there than collapsed after being struck.JMO
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ive never seen anything like that before.
  • Options
    I took z look with a 16X loop tonight- the depression is about 1/16" deep on the top side and slopes up to flush on the bottom. The "E" flows down to the bottom of the trough and the top of the letter looks to be at the same height as the adjacent digits.

I'm still puzzled how this happened; maybe I need to get a life.....image
  • Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fred, where are youimage
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd have said "definite planchet flaw", but you're right- it's bizarre how that well-struck "E" bridges the chasm perfectly.

Who's the member who posts those amazing microphotographs of Lincoln cent mintmarks in amazing detail that looks like Martian terrain? I'll have to go look at one of the old C4TW threads to see. That person could take some fascinating pix of this. (Y'all know who I'm talking about.)

Edit- aha- rpmsrpms was the person I was thinking of.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    There's an 1893-CC Eagle on Ebay (not mine) with the same type of planchet defect where one of the stars is struck over the flaw.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've seen this phenomenon before, once or twice, but never really knew how to classify it or what to call it.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    I'll see if I can get better pics of it this weekend. I doubt this error has value, but I really would like to know what happened. Perhaps David Blaine is involved somehow? image
  • Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,726 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mornin' guys -

Interesting area, that's for sure.

Tom (the Captain) has a good possibility,
    and here's another:

There was a thin small laminated area on
    the planchet before it was struck. The
    striking pressure was sufficient for the
    metal to move into the lettering, but it still left
    part of the 'void' on original laminated planchet.

Notice how the bottom left of the "N" is a bit
    soft/unformed - might that not be the deepest area on
    the planchet?

Anyway, that's my first thought when I saw the
    photos this morning when I clicked this thread.
    Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options
    I have a couple of quarter eagles in my eBay store that exhibit similar effects, except that the planchets were either gouged or scratched through areas where lettering ultimately raised up while the flaws remained in the fields.
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,566 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The pressure is greater where the field meets the planchet than in the depths of the lettering.

If it was a void in the planchet and the striking pressure was not enough to obliterate the void at the level of the field, it would not obliterate the void at the level deeper in the die.

I do not know if my theory is correct, but so far it is the only one I have seen that might work.

TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭
    Maybe the planchet had a divot before it was struck?
  • Options
    morgandollar1878morgandollar1878 Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Certainly an interesting error, I have never seen one like that before. My first thought was a strike through, but that makes no sense to me because my thought is the letters that should be affected would not be there or would be super mushy. So, like Fred W and a couple others have described it as being a planchet flaw makes the most sense to me.
    Instagram: nomad_numismatics

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file