Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Good sources for Jefferson Indian Peace Medal Replicas?

GritsManGritsMan Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭

Hey Everyone,

I may be interested in trying to obtain about 20 of the Mint's small-size Jefferson Indian Peace Medal replicas, and am wondering if there might be any good dealers or other sources that may carry this in larger quantities and at prices close to issue price? I see a few on eBay, but don't really know anything about the collectability of these, or their availability now that they are no longer available from the Mint.

Thank you!

Sneed
Winner of the Coveted Devil Award June 8th, 2010

Comments

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think that you are going to have a hard time finding these mainly because of a lack of interest. I would think that most of the pieces extant would be in the Lewis and Clark coin sets that contained the commemorative silver dollar. That is a nice looking set, and I for one would never break my set up for any reason. In addition I think that the set as a whole is worth more than the parts.

You might do better if you were to look for the "yellow bronze" Jefferson medals that are three inches in diameter. The mint sold those for many years. The trouble is they now sell for around $40 apiece, which more than you probably want to pay, and they big and heavy. There were also the presidential miniature medals that the mint sold with younger collectors in mind years ago. Once more these are sort of like "junk box" items that are not worth enough money for a dealer to go out of his way to stock them.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    Thank you for the reply, Bill. I feared this might be the case, but thought maybe someone carried large stocks--the APMEX of medals or something like that image
  • Options
    I would contact the US Mint gift shop. They have sold them for many years -and probably have extras. Last price I saw was $3.50, but the current medals of this size sell for about $6.00.
  • Options
    Good suggestion! Thanks!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file