Home Metal Detecting

My first outing this year (actually first in a while)...

Was real excited to get out early this year after having only gone a few times last year and getting no silver (my best finds last year were a 2 cent piece (1865)-never thought I'd find one of those and a large masonic penny and a pre-1900 V nickel). Went back to the same park that last year yielded the 2 cent piece and masonic penny (they are doing some construction work and some dirt is moved occasionally). First signal out was a strong one and I came so close to finding a key date coin- an 1876 indian penny- just one year newer. I hunted the next couple of hours with not much luck- a few zincolns and other memorials. As I was ready to quit and going back over the area near where I started the day by the indian cent find- got another strong signal in 25c range- and although beat and not pretty it looks like I found my oldest identifiable coin- an 1770-1775 George 3rd half penny!.
No silver though and I was beat and quit for the day except when I got back home and was fooling around with the detector a bit after the winter thaw (yes, we had snow last week) and found a 2 quarter spill near the edge of my driveway and as was about to quit- found a very beat 1930 Mercury dime by edge of road/driveway (only time the soil is soft enough to dig by roadside is in spring of year).
I was thinking about getting a new detector this year, but after this last outing that lasted nearly 3 hours my shoulder, knee and hands are quite sore-age catching up I guess, turning 48 in couple of months and not sure if detecting is going to be that much fun anymore.
Oh forgot to post some pictures...

Comments

• Bayard1908Bayard1908 Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭✭
    That's a nice mix of finds. I'm a couple of years older than you and can swing my Etrac all day long. You're definitely not too old for this hobby.
  • mariner67mariner67 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭
    These are wonderful finds!
    Stick with it.....seems your current detector works fine and the age thing.....don't let it get to you.
    Take it easy, go slow and enjoy!
    Successful trades/buys/sells with gdavis70, adriana, wondercoin, Weiss, nibanny, IrishMike, commoncents05, pf70collector, kyleknap, barefootjuan, coindeuce, WhiteTornado, Nefprollc, ajw, JamesM, PCcoins, slinc, coindudeonebay,beernuts, and many more
  • JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like you had a very nice hunt, congratulations.

Though sore now, you can whip yourself into tip top shape with just a few more detecting trips, the first few of the season are always the most painful.

You'd be surprised how quickly the pain goes away as the silver comes out of the hole. image
  • pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭✭
    congrats on some sweet finds!

That 1876 IHC should clean up nicely. and the planchet qualify on the KGIII looks solid - no real corrosion.

I've been talking with Pocketpiececommems (PPC), and he's mentioned the great benefits of knee pads. I will be picking some up shortly because the ground is killer. Might have to pick up some baseball gloves as he mentioned in another thread. Those should help a little with the aches.

Keep us posted on any cleaning and/or future finds
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice finds...that site has more potential. First outing...that is why you have some aches.... get in shape... 48 is young.... Cheers, RickO
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,411 ✭✭✭✭✭
    nice finds and i like the copper one image
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    King George copper and IHC! Sweet! image

You mentioned a 2c piece last year. I still have yet to find one, in 20+ years of hunting, though twice I've seen buddies right next to me dig them.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.