Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

1975 Topps box: $11K with the juice!

Comments

• esquiresportsesquiresports Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭
    I expected $9-11K. A good price, but doesn't strike me as overly high. I was more impressed by the $13K+ for the 1972 wax box.
    Always buying 1971 OPC Baseball packs.
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,480 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Much tougher box than the mini version. 11K is a strong price but reasonable if box is intact and original.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • gemintgemint Posts: 6,066 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dang, it makes me more ill as time goes on. I paid $6k for a run of 1972-76 wax boxes, '75 regular included, about 15 years ago. That would be worth about $30k at today's prices.

<< <i>Dang, it makes me more ill as time goes on. I paid $6k for a run of 1972-76 wax boxes, '75 regular included, about 15 years ago. That would be worth about $30k at today's prices. >>

15 years ago is like prehistoric times for vintage wax, John, lol..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • DragnetDragnet Posts: 635 ✭✭✭
    I expected $9-11K. A good price, but doesn't strike me as overly high.

<< <i>I was more impressed by the $13K+ for the 1972 wax box. >>

Especially when a 5th/6th series box went for 2K less -- in an auction ending the exact same day no less.

1972 5th/6th Series Wax Box
  • gemintgemint Posts: 6,066 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Dang, it makes me more ill as time goes on. I paid $6k for a run of 1972-76 wax boxes, '75 regular included, about 15 years ago. That would be worth about $30k at today's prices. >>

15 years ago is like prehistoric times for vintage wax, John, lol.. >>

True. I remember just 40 years ago I was buying those '75 packs for $0.15 each!
  • seebelowseebelow Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭
    I think its a strong fair price...a lot probably due to that one hasn't been around for 2-3 years (that I've seen)

...please no more stories of past prices..its hurting my head...ha,,kidding
    Interested in higher grade vintage cards. Aren't we all. image
  • packCollectorpackCollector Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭
    I don't know , I can't come up with any dimension where 75 topps packs should be selling for $300 a piece. The economics and rational of scarcity just doesn't currently add up in my head and probably will never
  • mikelowell25mikelowell25 Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I don't know , I can't come up with any dimension where 75 topps packs should be selling for $300 a piece. The economics and rational of scarcity just doesn't currently add up in my head and probably will never >>

Ditto duncan
  • lahmejoonlahmejoon Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I expected $9-11K. A good price, but doesn't strike me as overly high.

<< <i>I was more impressed by the $13K+ for the 1972 wax box. >>

Especially when a 5th/6th series box went for 2K less -- in an auction ending the exact same day no less.

1972 5th/6th Series Wax Box >>

I wonder if it has anything to do with the new BBCE wrap on the box, or more exposure on REA, or both. But, that price for 3rd series is a bit of a head scratcher to me.
    As an unopened collector, I can say that REA consistently commands stronger prices than most any other venue.

At over $550 a pack, the 72 3rd series box trumps the 75 box, imo, at least when you compare values of graded single packs, and isn't as scarce as the 75 box, either.

<< <i>As an unopened collector, I can say that REA consistently commands stronger prices than most any other venue.

At over $550 a pack, the 72 3rd series box trumps the 75 box, imo, at least when you compare values of graded single packs, and isn't as scarce as the 75 box, either. >>

another one that makes no sense to me , I bought a 59 fleer pack, 61 topps cello, 59 football cello with a rookie on top and a 64 giants pack for an average of 420 bucks a pack. how can those packs sell for less than 72 topps and almost on par with 75 topps packs. to each his own I guess

<< <i>

<< <i>As an unopened collector, I can say that REA consistently commands stronger prices than most any other venue.

At over $550 a pack, the 72 3rd series box trumps the 75 box, imo, at least when you compare values of graded single packs, and isn't as scarce as the 75 box, either. >>

another one that makes no sense to me , I bought a 59 fleer pack, 61 topps cello, 59 football cello with a rookie on top and a 64 giants pack for an average of 420 bucks a pack. how can those packs sell for less than 72 topps and almost on par with 75 topps packs. to each his own I guess >>

Market demand for a full box. A full box, especially for the 72s, go for several multiples what you'd get if you broke the box down for individual packs from that same year.

• mikelowell25mikelowell25 Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i> >>

another one that makes no sense to me , I bought a 59 fleer pack, 61 topps cello, 59 football cello with a rookie on top and a 64 giants pack for an average of 420 bucks a pack. how can those packs sell for less than 72 topps and almost on par with 75 topps packs. to each his own I guess >>

If I was a jerk and decided to throw in another bid on that lot at 5 am on sunday morning you wouldve paid more than 420 per pack lol!!image

<< <i>Market demand for a full box. A full box, especially for the 72s, go for several multiples what you'd get if you broke the box down for individual packs from that same year. >>

This is a new phenomena in the last year that I have a hard time understanding. for as long as there has been in a niche in unopened packs , the packs always sold for more than the box. if you went to bbcexchange a year or 2 years ago at the most and found a box and a nm/mt pack, the pack was always selling for more than the box. almost any time a major dealer received a box from say the 50's or 60's those boxes were parted out. same goes for the 70's. sometime around 2004ish, a dealer in pennslyvania had tons of these 72 boxes. they were sold through mastro and on ebay. there was no premium for the boxes and any of the boxes that were bought by other dealers were parted out. same for the late 70's stuff. why there is such a premium for a full box makes zero logical sense considering any full box can be pieced together and no one would be the wiser if it was done with some common sense. and as far as the FASC designation which was recently created, this is an incredible stroke of marketing , similar to the PSA 10 in my opinion.

I guess it all comes down to if you have more money than sense , then go for it. as for me , I doubt I will be owning any new 70's boxes anytime soon
    The vast majority of the public would say anyone spending the money we do on pieces of cardboard have more money than sense to begin with, Duncan, lol..

• addicted2ebayaddicted2ebay Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭✭
    Man I thought I got a good price at $6k for my 72 box last summer. Guess I was wrong.
  • lahmejoonlahmejoon Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Market demand for a full box. A full box, especially for the 72s, go for several multiples what you'd get if you broke the box down for individual packs from that same year. >>

On the other hand, though, there's no way to know if that box is a truly original box or if it was pieced together over time by a collector. I could see paying a premium for a truly original box, but I don't know how you would substantiate it other than the FASC designation or provenance (i.e. came directly from Fritsch vault or another huge unopened collector).

<< <i>

On the other hand, though, there's no way to know if that box is a truly original box or if it was pieced together over time by a collector. I could see paying a premium for a truly original box, but I don't know how you would substantiate it other than the FASC designation or provenance (i.e. came directly from Fritsch vault or another huge unopened collector). >>

The FASC acronym wouldn't apply for an issue like 72 Topps baseball as a sealed case has never surfaced, at least in the last 15-20 years that I've been actively collecting unopened. It would be very difficult to piece a box like that together, as well, as all packs would have to be from same series to begin with, though it certainly is possible.

<< <i> It would be very difficult to piece a box like that together, as well, as all packs would have to be from same series to begin with, though it certainly is possible. >>

Tim , even many of the boxes that appear to be original were pieced together. A bulk of the 72's around came out about 10 years ago including all the 5th/6th boxes that are around. Even those boxes were partially put together as some of the packs were damaged. The seller had also sold some of the packs with stars clearly showing separately.

how about the 71 wax boxes, how do we know any of those are truly original. Hunt had about 8 clean boxes and another 100+ packs of water damaged packs from the same case. your telling me some of those boxes didn't have substitutions or were not the culmination of the good packs from several damaged boxes? This is why I can't accept that there should be such a premium for a complete box

<< <i>

<< <i> It would be very difficult to piece a box like that together, as well, as all packs would have to be from same series to begin with, though it certainly is possible. >>

Tim , even many of the boxes that appear to be original were pieced together. A bulk of the 72's around came out about 10 years ago including all the 5th/6th boxes that are around. Even those boxes were partially put together as some of the packs were damaged. The seller had also sold some of the packs with stars clearly showing separately.

how about the 71 wax boxes, how do we know any of those are truly original. Hunt had about 8 clean boxes and another 100+ packs of water damaged packs from the same case. your telling me some of those boxes didn't have substitutions or were not the culmination of the good packs from several damaged boxes? This is why I can't accept that there should be such a premium for a complete box >>

I generally agree with you, Duncan~that's why I said in my post above that it is certainly possible, though at this point in time it would be more difficult to do than it was 10-20 years ago. As an unopened collector, my primary concern is that the packs are authentic. As cases from this era are non-existent, I know going in that the box, even complete, may not necessarily be original from 1971 or 1972. It's a moot point to me, as I'm not in the market for a full box from those years at these prices, in any case. I'm content with my selection of individual packs from those years, sans the boxes.