Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Orioles / White Sox game will be closed to the public

This is absolutely crazy. The Orioles will face the White Sox to a completely empty stadium - has this ever happened before?

LINK
My eBay Store =)

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." Dr. Seuss

Comments

• Options
    curchcurch Posts: 590 ✭✭✭
    I would love to watch this game on tv. You would actually be able to hear all the sounds of the game without the screaming fans.
    Always looking for vintage wax boxes!
  • Options
    rcmb3220rcmb3220 Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭✭
    Well that will make that 1979 a's game seem like standing room only.
  • Options
    WhiteTornadoWhiteTornado Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭
    This game was advertised as "no admittance":

• Options
    It really is a shame but I don't think they have a choice.
    The city is in chaos and putting the fans at risk again isn't worth it. It is really sad...
  • Options
    wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭
    Perhaps Charlie Sheen will attempt to get in so he can catch a home run ball........
    BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sad state of affairs.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    ROCKDJRWROCKDJRW Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭
    Will be like a home game for my Sox!
    Collect Ozzie Guillen Cards
    Unique Chicago Cards
    Wrestling Cards
  • Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭
    More financial drain on a city that can't afford it. I wonder what the tax impact is since there will be no ticket or concession sales.
  • Options
    mtcardsmtcards Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭
    Is truly a sad state of affairs. Not going to comment further as I do not wish to be banned for speaking the truth
    IT IS ALWAYS CHEAPER TO NOT SELL ON EBAY
  • Options
    vols1vols1 Posts: 768 ✭✭✭
    The O's are going to have to pull a Braves and move out of downtown area.
  • Options
    SumoMenkoManSumoMenkoMan Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭
    This is crazy!! Hopefully they get this straightened out. Any reason why they wouldn't have postponed and just made it a double header later on?
  • Options
    seebelowseebelow Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭
    Being closed to the public has never happened before.
    Interested in higher grade vintage cards. Aren't we all. image
  • Options
    swartz1swartz1 Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭
    Really? What's going on in Baltimore?

Looking for 1970 MLB Photostamps
    - uncut

Positive Transactions - tennesseebanker, Ahmanfan, Donruss, Colebear, CDsNuts, rbdjr1, Downtown1974, yankeeno7, drewsef, mnolan, mrbud60, msassin, RipublicaninMass, AkbarClone, rustywilly, lsutigers1973, julen23 and nam812, plus many others...
  • Options
    skrezyna23skrezyna23 Posts: 908 ✭✭✭

<< <i>This is crazy!! Hopefully they get this straightened out. Any reason why they wouldn't have postponed and just made it a double header later on? >>

The White Sox will makeup the double header in Baltimore on May 28th.
  • Options
    WhiteTornadoWhiteTornado Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭

<< <i>It should be a unique experience.

I'm curious to see how the Maryland Deathfest (music festival) will be affected if these riots continue into the upcoming weeks. >>

Are you talking about the M3 Festival? If so, that's in Columbia, 20 miles away.
  • Options
    totallyraddtotallyradd Posts: 928 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Does this mean Take Me Out to The Ball Game during the 7th inning stretch is cancelled ?

How about the Star Spangled Banner ? I'm guessing they'll still do that. >>

Those were my exact questions as well. If they do the SSB it would be prerecorded, right? Will there be walk up music? Will regular employees (ushers, concessions, etc) be allowed into the game? I won't be able to see it because of work, but I'm looking forward to seeing some highlights. It'll be interesting for sure.
  • Options
    alnavmanalnavman Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭
    The way the Indians are playing they need to close their games to the public.........yet my daughter wants to go to this Sunday's game for her birthday. what's a person to do
  • Options

<< <i>Does this mean Take Me Out to The Ball Game during the 7th inning stretch is cancelled ?

Thank God I'm a Country Boy is played in the 7th inning.
  • Options
    totallyraddtotallyradd Posts: 928 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

Thank God I'm a Country Boy is played in the 7th inning. >>

Really? If I lived in the area, that alone might tip me enough to be a Nationals fan. *puke*
  • Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    Watching the game for free on MLB.com... it's really strange to watch a home team player smack a 3-run homer and have no cheers. You can hear every thought from the players. The players can hear the play-by-play guys in the press box. Insane.
  • Options
    Game over - took 2:03 to play. Did they have TV timeouts like they normally do on the broadcast? Did the players rush through the game just to get it over with? Or is it the teams can play short games when they want to? I seem to recall a meaningless late season game a couple years ago somewhere that was the same deal - game was over in 1960's speed because the two teams wanted out of Dodge.

FWIW - ESPN box score is showing an attendance of 1. Does their box score program not allow a zero attendance? Or do they count the scout? MLB.com isn't showing an attendance. I thought maybe because game just ended, but the attendance for the other two early games is posted and not for BAL-CHW. What's wrong with posting 0? It's not a big secret - and not a 1979 A's crowd.

(edited for clarity on MLB.com attendance)
    Collecting Topps Baseball: 1966-present base sets
    Topps/OPC Hockey 1966-Present base sets
  • Options
    mlbfan2mlbfan2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Game over - took 2:03 to play. Did they have TV timeouts like they normally do on the broadcast? Did the players rush through the game just to get it over with? Or is it the teams can play short games when they want to? I seem to recall a meaningless late season game a couple years ago somewhere that was the same deal - game was over in 1960's speed because the two teams wanted out of Dodge. >>

There were TV timeouts, as usual. They may have played at a quicker pace, but 2:03 isn't all that unusual. It's not the shortest game of the year so far. The pace of the starting pitchers plays a big part in the game length.
  • Options
    Maybe I find it odd because I am a Red Sox fan and every game seems to last as long as a screening of Gone With the Wind.............................
    Collecting Topps Baseball: 1966-present base sets
    Topps/OPC Hockey 1966-Present base sets
  • Options
    skrezyna23skrezyna23 Posts: 908 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Game over - took 2:03 to play. Did they have TV timeouts like they normally do on the broadcast? Did the players rush through the game just to get it over with? Or is it the teams can play short games when they want to? I seem to recall a meaningless late season game a couple years ago somewhere that was the same deal - game was over in 1960's speed because the two teams wanted out of Dodge. >>

There were TV timeouts, as usual. They may have played at a quicker pace, but 2:03 isn't all that unusual. It's not the shortest game of the year so far. The pace of the starting pitchers plays a big part in the game length. >>

I think the BOT 1st took 1:30 to play.