Home Metal Detecting
Options

Last 2 hunts: 15 silvers

pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭
Got out the past couple days to a new area. Yesterday started out quickly with a sterling ring, but then slowed down quite a bit. Figure I'd give this spot an hour or so, then if nothing, move on. About a half hour in, a few wheats show up in a very small area. Alright, might be onto something! Then got a green Roosevelt. Didn't think anything of it, but a few minutes later, got another green one. For kicks I rubbed the edge and saw it was silver. Figured the other one was silver too. Never seen a green silver coin before. Then soon got a merc, then #500 since 2009 comes out! It's a 1917 mercury dime! Also got a sterling Pandora bracelet. Ended with 4 silver coins, 2 pieces of silver jewelry, and 23 wheat cents. Also got two buffalo nickels and a 1907 IHC.

Got back out today and got 14 more wheat cents, silver Washington, 2 silver roosevelts, 4 mercs, and a Wartime nickel. Was really hoping for a piece of gold, but unfortunately that didn't happen. Will have to hit this place again shortly.

HH all!

all wheats combined

can't see much detail, but maybe an ancient coin??

cookie coins

they're not pretty, but they're silver

neat look to it - 1912 I believe. I thought it was Great Britain, but apparently not. Anyone recognize the reverse?

Comments

• Options
    JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice hunt congratulations on your 500TH and the other nice finds.
    That Pandora looks pretty fresh. Box it up for Mother Day image
  • Options
    Bayard1908Bayard1908 Posts: 3,987 ✭✭✭✭
    That's some rough soil. I presume it's either swampy or full of fertilizer.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That one big, irregularly round crusty critter is very intriguing. A lot of diggers will toss stuff like that into their "junkers n' clunkers" jars, but me, I always spent hours trying to tease out some small detail for an ID. From the faintest ghost of a bust on one crusty copper I found on a colonial road, I was able to tell (mostly) that I had a French sou of Louis XV... or so I'm reasonably sure, anyway. Never mind that it will never again be anything but a worthless slug- I felt like I HAD to get some sense of that coin's identity so it could tell me part of its story. Not being able to ID a coin drives me mad, because I am such a coin geek first and foremost. (It is, after all, why I took up detecting in the first place.)

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is one awesome site you are working.....I am constantly amazed by the great spots you find .... congratulations... and thanks for posting all your great finds... really makes for interesting reading/viewing....Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks guys!

These were found in a salt water environment, so you never know what the coins will look like in the end. LordM, I'm the same way. I look for any vestige of detail, and try to at least ID what it can be. The bust on that one coin is quite worn, but reminds me of some ancient Roman coinage. Of course it'd be a recent drop as everything at this site has dated 1900+.

The Pandora bracelet was a recent drop, like that day, or the day prior. Got the signal and then saw part of the chain sticking out of the ground. Snatched that right up!

The sand did a good number on my hands, and it's time to take a couple days off. They are sore and red, and it was some hard digging at this spot.

I took a video opening up a couple of the cookie coins. Anyone interested in having it posted?
  • Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I still say that people knew you would be detecting and just threw their money out for you to find years ago. They had ESP image

You need to get a pair of knee pads and batting gloves. The batting gloves will really protect your hands from the dirt etc.
  • Options
    zippcityzippcity Posts: 888 ✭✭✭✭
    great spot you got there. I would like to see the video.
    Save our Country. Positive BST: Collectorcoins- Mariner020648- profharoldhill- coppertoning- agentjim007- cucamongacoin- ElKevo- mercurydimeguy- Utahcoin-AJAAN-AUandAG- surfinxhi- ZoidMeister- TwoSides2acoin-
  • Options
    luckybucksluckybucks Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭
    Holly smokes. Whatever those coins were buried in, it did a number on them.
  • Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Neat !!! :-)
    Timbuk3
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes! Post the video!

Ashamed to say, I haven't watched your last video yet, or ANY videos from you. (But I will!). It seems I'm always either at home on a miserable connection, or at work without speakers. I'll bring some earbuds to work so I can watch the videos, though.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    WhiteTornadoWhiteTornado Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭

<< <i>You need to get a pair of knee pads and batting gloves. The batting gloves will really protect your hands from the dirt etc. >>

Great finds as always! You're hitting some great territory these days. I will second the suggestion of gloves. I usually use gardening or workman's type gloves.