Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

OT- interesting event at work tonight

I just had the opportunity to evict a live rattlesnake from our hotel lobby when I came in tonight.

My female coworker had called Security, who declined the invitation and passed it off to Engineering. Both of them were off site and would've taken a while to get here, anyway.

Some loudly drunk bar patrons were poking at it with a golf umbrella and wanted me to kill it, but I'm too softhearted when it comes to critters (even snakes), so I threw a towel over it, carried it outside, and tossed it into the woods by the marsh.

I wouldn't have attempted that if it had been a big one, but this was just a little guy. Dunno if it was a pygmy rattler or a baby diamondback, but rattlesnake it was.

I have informed all of my coworkers that they may now respectfully refer to me as "The Snakemaster". image

To make this topical, post your coins with snakes on 'em. I can't think of any in my personal collection, but I know there are a lot of cool ancients with snakes, and some modern NCLT comes to mind as well.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

Comments

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,217 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh, I've got one, after all. A Feuchtwanger cent from my old Holey Coin Vest collection.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    TIF2TIF2 Posts: 233
    Excellent wrangling, Snakemaster! Good job returning it to the wild.

I have one rather crummy Feuchtwanger. While I've been selling my non-ancient coins, this one will probably stay. They're pretty cool image

• Options
    TIF2, I happen to know you've got some cool "snakey" ancients, too, so show 'em off!

• Options
    SmEagle1795SmEagle1795 Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Glad to hear your snake charming didn't result in you becoming even more holey! image

I have two snakes on coins, the first from Elis, minted for the 112th Olympics:

and then on my Sikyon stater (the tail ends in the head of a snake):

Learn about our world's shared history told through the first millennium of coinage: Colosseo Collection
  • Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    harashaharasha Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I could not find an image of the medal that I really wanted to post, referencing a folk tale about allowing a snake into your home. I could not find the actual medal. So:

Reverse of Anne Coronation medal -

and the reverse of an Elizabeth II coronation medal from South Africa -

Honors flysis Income beezis Onches nobis Inob keesis

DPOTD
  • Options
    Wow, there are some fantastic snake coins in this thread!

LordM is correct, I do have a few more image

Celtic snake, biting an automaton-ish figure on the nose:

A snake-charming nymphs (Sicily, Selinos AR litra)

Sikyon stater. The chimera's snake-head is off flan image

Snake-on-stick-on-flying snake: a provincial of Caracalla featuring Asklepios.

• Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lord of the Snakes has a nice ring to it.
  • Options
    OriginalDanOriginalDan Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like a fun night, LM. You were like the eagle on this reverse.

• Options
    bronzematbronzemat Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have several ancients with snakes but too lazy to upload and post them.

I wouldnt have chanced grabbing it. I thought the baby rattle poison is worse then the adult?
  • Options
    Just as OT as my snake story, but interesting to tell, I had a cool encounter in the hotel tonight. Some musicians came back in late from a gig at our swanky five-star sister resort, The Cloister. They wanted some help microwaving their box lunch sandwiches, so I let 'em into the kitchen where the microwave is, and we shot the breeze a while their food was reheating. It turns out they are both singers. One used to be with Kansas and the other with Journey, and one was for a time the frontman of one of those famous classic bands! That was pretty cool. I can't tell you their names due to our guest privacy and nondisclosure policies, but suffice it to say that both are famous enough to have Wikipedia entries under their names.

Though this is a very quiet and mostly solitary job, it can be interesting at times. But I'll take Rock & Roll royalty over rattlesnakes any night of the week. image

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,695 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rob, when I was working at the Doubletree Hotel in Biltmore, the actor that played Candyman stayed there one night on my shift!
    You never know who will be there! image
  • Options
    brg5658brg5658 Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭✭✭
    All hail the snakemaster! image

===========================

-Brandon
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
    My sets: [280+ horse coins] :: [France Sowers] :: [Colorful world copper] :: [Beautiful world coins]
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,695 ✭✭✭✭✭
    brg5658:
    That Mexican copper is superb!
  • Options
    TookybanditTookybandit Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭✭
    We had a scorpion at work when I was in Chula Vista, CA (South of San Diego). It was one of those fierce little yellow green ones that could send you to the E.R. I kept it as a pet in a terrarium for over a year ...until it had a whole bunch of babies all by itself! image

• Options

<< <i>We had a scorpion at work when I was in Chula Vista, CA (South of San Diego). It was one of those fierce little yellow green ones that could send you to the E.R. I kept it as a pet in a terrarium for over a year ...until it had a whole bunch of babies all by itself! image >>

Scorpions and big spiders freak me out far worse than snakes do, for some reason. Ugh.

Fortunately scorpions are fairly rare here, at least in my experience.

• Options

<< <i>Scorpions and big spiders freak me out far worse than snakes do, for some reason. Ugh.

Fortunately scorpions are fairly rare here, at least in my experience. >>

Snakes, no problem. Big spiders, no problem. Scorpions though... SHRIEK! I find them in my home every week or two. On the floor, in the washing machine, in the sink, in drawers. image
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,125 ✭✭✭✭✭
    TIF2, what kind of scorpions? Desert? or the kind found in humid areas like we had in Thailand.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options

<< <i>TIF2, what kind of scorpions? Desert? or the kind found in humid areas like we had in Thailand. >>

I'm not sure of the genus and species but not the giant ones. I'm in a semitropical climate, probably similar to Thailand.

Most of the scorpions I find look more or less like this:

I've never been stung by one and that is part of my fear... the unknown. I hope to keep it that way though.
  • Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭

Some loudly drunk bar patrons were poking at it with a golf umbrella and wanted me to kill it, but I'm too softhearted when it comes to critters (even snakes), so I threw a towel over it, carried it outside, and tossed it into the woods by the marsh.

Good job Rob. It's bad karma to kill a living being without a valid reason.

Funny that in every single coin posted, the snake is captured by an eagle or other bird.
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options

<< <i>
    Funny that in every single coin posted, the snake is captured by an eagle or other bird. >>

Not so... go back and review the ancient coins I posted on page one. Snakes are common on ancient coins and as often as not they are depicted in a positive manner, often as an adjunct to a deity.
  • Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭
    Oops, you're right.image Sorry.
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3