Home Metal Detecting
Options

April 23, 2015: EVIL Sterling Squirrel and King George Copper!

pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭
My mind kept telling me to get back out there, dummy. So I gave into temptation and got out for a couple hours. Within 15 minutes or so a nice deep solid signal came up. Turned out to be a King George II copper! The reverse is corroded, but at least it can be identified. There is a boat load of iron at this site so going slow is the only way to fly here. Just have to wonder how much is being missed due to the iron. Will have to try a function on the CTX that is similar to Two Tone Ferrous on the e-trac. Essentially what you can do is have no discrimination at all on the detector. Then you give iron one tone. With the e-trac, all other targets give one different tone (hence two tone...). The CTX I believe you're allowed 3 additional tones in addition to the iron tone. I played around and set a program up for it, so this might be the next step.

Sometime in the hunt a wheat cent-ish signal came up. The detector messed up the pinpointing so I don't know how deep it ended up being. But what came out will probably give me nightmares... check out this evil squirrel! Turns out to be Sterling. The bar itself isn't silver, and surprising it hasn't rusted away. Any ideas on age?

Also in the hunt there was an odd mix of signals. Dug deep to find an iron nail/spike. Scanned the dirt that was out of the plug and got a really neat button. It has 8 large domes on the front, with maybe a flower in the center. It was a lower tone so it was a freak find as it didn't signal. Re-scanned the dirt with the pinpointer and got a rusted belt buckle.

Also got a couple oddball things like spoon pieces, maybe an old brass pin?, and some flat thing. Ended with 8 old buttons. Would have taken JohnnyCache, but it's not the weekend yet!

HH all!

Comments

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Love that squirrel!

That's George II on that halfpenny, so it's circa 1727 to 1760. I dug a 1738 halfpenny down here years ago, and a George II farthing (1730, I think) while I was in England.

Man, the sheer variety (and awesomeness) of your sites and finds never ceases to amaze me. I wish I could get my detector fixed and pack my van and head up there to visit you! Always talked about doing that with Tim Buck (aka the late, great "phut"), but that never happened. He did get down here once and ran circles 'round me on some of my sites.

His hunts and yours seem to have a marked similarity, now that I think of it. Were you here when he posted those THREE Massachusetts "trees" in his last summer of hunting? That was a crowning acheivement to wrap up his life as a digger. I miss him. He was too young to go so suddenly.

Forgive me for not responding to your last couple of threads. Three silver halves in a day, and one of them Seated? Wow. That is truly amazing. I love how you get out and put the coil to the soil every week, too. Of course if I had sites anywhere as near as rich as yours, I would, too. Maybe I'd work off at least a little bit of this huge mass of blubber that way.

Oh... I am sure it's been said before, but it bears repeating...

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    luckybucksluckybucks Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭
    Sweet :c)
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Amazing..... this new area you are searching is really rich in targets...I expect some real treasures (even beyond the great stuff you have already found) will be showing up.... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How did Mister Squirrelly get that cool looking two-tone coat? Are the edges gilt or something?

That's a really neat little piece.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭
    Its coated with some kind of clear coat on the dark area. Not sure if it's worn away on the areas that are now bright or if it was intentionally made to look two tone. Almost looks intentional to be one evil squirrel!
  • Options
    JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oooh you dirty dog, a Thursday hunt. LOL

Wicked nice stuff. I think the sheer variety of the finds is what makes it so exciting.

It seems as if just about anything has a possibility of popping up, and that makes for really fun hunting.

Congratulations!

JC

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sweeet finds.....

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com