Home Metal Detecting
Options

April 21, 2015: 3 coppers including 1801 DBLC, 7 IHCs, V nickel!

pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭✭
Video added: Youtube Video Here!

Was super anxious to get out detecting again after the last few hunts. The first spot was a place that had teased about holding older goodies by previously yielding a 3 cent silver, couple seated times, and some Barbers. Seems like most of the coins though were late 1800s and early 1900s, so I wasn't expecting much older than that. As always, this place seems to spit out IHCs like they're going out of style, and at least 5 came out there (could be 6 but I don't recall). Also got a 1906 V Nickel. Later into the hunt I was very slowly working my way back to the car when a solid quarter signal came up. I was super hopeful for a barber quarter, and expecting a possible silver dime, but it turned out to be a later-date large cent! Very unexpected. Unfortunately can't get a date, but at least it can be identified.

Finally got around to spot two, which has yielded some nice goodies in the past. Pretty slow to start and eventually got a couple of wheat cents, and one or two IHCs. As it was getting dark I got a higher tone and was expecting maybe a wheat cent. But, another copper comes out! I thought it was too thin to be a large cent, but upon getting it home, it was an 1801 Draped Bust!!

A few minutes later, another high tone comes through. But, what pops out is half a copper? Fairly certain it's half of a King George II copper. There is a head outline on the obverse, and what looks like the standard reverse design with the line at the bottom.

Man, why can't all hunts be like these???? Hoping to get back out there again soon. Gotta love spring detecting!

The white fingers is what you get when you dabble your fingers in hydrogen peroxide for too long. I promise I'm not diseased!
Only used a toothbrush on the 1801 Draped Bust. Not chancing it.

Added cleaned pics of the 1801 LC. There is rust or some sort of corrosion on the reverse.

Comments

• Options
    Bayard1908Bayard1908 Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭✭
    Buy yourself some olive oil.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow... some nice finds there.... those are some super, apparently unsearched, sites.... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭✭
    I do have some EVOO, and some mineral oil. Might have to give them a soak for a bit.

RickO, the funny thing is I hit the exact same spots hard last year, with both the e-trac and the CTX. The Hard times token was in a spot I hit probably 4 times. The half real I was over that spot several times. And the seated half? At least twice...how do you miss a half dollar??? I imagine it was either covered with iron previously and the frost pushed something free, or it was on edge and the frost moved it to be flat - maybe both scenarios happened. And, I know I'm not the first to hit this place. I was speaking with someone last year, and he mentioned one of the other metal detectorists found some "big pennies" so this place has probably been hit for years. The IHC spot is massive, so either no one has touched those areas, or they just dug the higher tones and left the lower tones, which could explain the abundance of IHCs. Also, much of the time last year, the ground was dry, and with the spring thaw, a nice moist ground helps considerably.

• Options
    luckybucksluckybucks Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭
    Outstanding !!.
  • Options
    mariner67mariner67 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭
    More GREAT finds PCGS69!
    I really enjoy your posts, thanks.
    Successful trades/buys/sells with gdavis70, adriana, wondercoin, Weiss, nibanny, IrishMike, commoncents05, pf70collector, kyleknap, barefootjuan, coindeuce, WhiteTornado, Nefprollc, ajw, JamesM, PCcoins, slinc, coindudeonebay,beernuts, and many more