Home Metal Detecting
Options

Last 3 hunts: Three silver half dollars, 1797 half real, 1837 Hard Times Token, 2 silver rings, and

pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭✭
Alright, where to start? I guess by saying it's been a few pretty good hunts, with some unexpected goodies coming out.

First hunt was at an older location with a lot of land. Started in an area that had some promise, and shortly after, a silver Roosevelt dime came out. Six inches over, another silver popped out. Wasn't sure what it was at first, but turned out to be a Franklin Half dollar! Also got an IHC in the area, but haven't checked it out yet. Later on in the hunt, a nice heart sterling ring came out. Also, what I believe is some kind of sterling lid, or maybe a big thimble? The silver test solution turned red, so that should indicate it's silver. Not sure what it could have been used for. Almost thought thimble, but it seems too big.

Second hunt was at the same spot. This place was larger than I originally thought, and I tried another section. Got some wheats, then got a shallow screamer of a signal. Turned out to be a WLH! Later on in the hunt a merc makes a welcomed appearance. Also got a sterling ring. Looks like something like initials were soldered on the top originally. Odd that two days in a row a silver half, silver ring, and silver dime were found.

Hunt three was checking out a new area. Within 20 minutes a deep 11-39 rang up on the detector. After the dirt was on the cloth with the item, I was soooo close to making it a live dig, but unfortunately it didn't happen. Turns out to be a half real! Looks like 1797. It's still pretty crusty, so might have to soak for a while in oil or some HP. Also ended up with several buttons, one with a neat design. Later on in the hunt I got deep high tone. After getting it out, it looked like a large cent planchet. Upon inspection I had no idea what it was. Turns out to be an 1837 Hard Times token. Guess that can be called the first copper of the year, right? Toward the end of the hunt I tried an area I hit before, and within a few minutes I got a screamer of a signal. After getting the plug out, it was still in there. Swiped the pinpointer a few times, and a large silver was at the bottom. I said, "you've got to be kidding me." NEVER expected that to come out. It's my first! Probably in the VG range.

What a crazy few hunts...almost seems like a dream. Hopefully the edited pics rotate properly for you. Took some misc videos. Will try putting one big video together for you.

On that note, now's a good time to get in your guesses (if you haven't already) for what silver coin 500 will be. I believe I'm only four away now.

WLH

Half Real

Comments

• Options
    Bayard1908Bayard1908 Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭✭
    Lots of great finds, especially the Seated half.
  • Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,741 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What, No Barber halfimage If you don't deserve a "You Suck" award for these hunts then nobody will ever get one.image
  • Options
    mariner67mariner67 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭
    Congratulations PCGS!
    Thanks for sharing!
    Successful trades/buys/sells with gdavis70, adriana, wondercoin, Weiss, nibanny, IrishMike, commoncents05, pf70collector, kyleknap, barefootjuan, coindeuce, WhiteTornado, Nefprollc, ajw, JamesM, PCcoins, slinc, coindudeonebay,beernuts, and many more
  • Options
    zippcityzippcity Posts: 886 ✭✭✭✭
    great finds, still waiting for my first silver.
    Save our Country. Positive BST: Collectorcoins- Mariner020648- profharoldhill- coppertoning- agentjim007- cucamongacoin- ElKevo- mercurydimeguy- Utahcoin-AJAAN-AUandAG- surfinxhi- ZoidMeister- TwoSides2acoin-
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow....super finds.... and that does look like a thimble.... could be a thumb thimble...three silver halves - zowee... hunts like that can really get the excitement up.... congratulations... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    WhiteTornadoWhiteTornado Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭
    Wow, what a bonanza! You must have been floating on a cloud by the time it was all over. Thanks for sharing.

Does that thimble thingy have threads near the bottom? It looks that way in the picture. If so, maybe it was a screw-on cap/stopper of some sort.
  • Options
    luckybucksluckybucks Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭
    Great day indeed. image
  • Options
    Video finally up and running! See what you think... Video Here . Been trying a bit to make the videos a little better. That free Windows Movie Maker program is pretty decent.

Thanks everyone for your comments. Spring hunting seems to release some of those deep finds that aren't available the rest of the year. I believe the saturated ground from the melted snow makes the detector's signal more potent than usual.

PPC, thanks for the potential "You Suck" award! It's not often that gets offered!!

WhiteTornado, you're probably right. Due to its thin structure, it's probably not a thimble after all. It may be more of some kind of lid. Someone suggested trying to pry it apart to look for any stamps, but I fear that it'll just break apart if I tried.

Happy hunting all!

• Options
    JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Posts: 1,669 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dude, your killing it!

Follow Lord M's move and buy a quick pick because you are on fire.

Great hunts - Super Pictures.

Congratulations
  • Options
    winkywinky Posts: 1,671
    Hard to believe. Very nice finds. image
  • Options
    JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Posts: 1,669 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey did I mention I'm free to go detecting on Saturday's and Sunday's. image
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,498 ✭✭✭✭✭
    congrats on the scores
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    WOW!!! A Seated half!!! I have yet to dig a single one. I've gotten one Seated quarter in 20 years. I know of one half that was found here (by my Jedi-class digger pal Billy, of course).

That HTT looks pretty sharp for a dug copper, too, all things considered. And I like the old keys.

It's blatantly obvious that these are virgin sites you're hunting, to find so many big coins and hot targets like that.

I'm insanely jealous.

Again...

Mark my words... you're gonna pop a gold half-eagle before it's all said and done. Or something VERY interesting in the Draped Bust or Flowing Hair silver department. Something that looks like your avatar coin. On super sites like this, as often as you get out? I can't wait to see it happen.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,455 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    element159element159 Posts: 493 ✭✭✭
    I *love* the token with the turtle!
  • Options
    SoCalBigMarkSoCalBigMark Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The thimble thing looks like a Tea steeper missing the lid. Cool finds!
  • Options

<< <i>WOW!!! A Seated half!!! I have yet to dig a single one. I've gotten one Seated quarter in 20 years. I know of one half that was found here (by my Jedi-class digger pal Billy, of course).

That HTT looks pretty sharp for a dug copper, too, all things considered. And I like the old keys.

It's blatantly obvious that these are virgin sites you're hunting, to find so many big coins and hot targets like that.

I'm insanely jealous.

Again...

Mark my words... you're gonna pop a gold half-eagle before it's all said and done. Or something VERY interesting in the Draped Bust or Flowing Hair silver department. Something that looks like your avatar coin. On super sites like this, as often as you get out? I can't wait to see it happen. >>

The funny thing is that I personally had previously detected many of these spots, pretty hard too. I'm sure others have detected these areas too. Talked to a walker (to clarify, not a zombie) last year, and he mentioned he saw a detectorist who had found some "big pennies", so these may just be the scraps that are left! Can only imagine what the first guy must have found. I know I had been over that Seated Half section at least several times prior. But I believe the really moist soil and frost have something to do with these finds. Just goes to show there are plenty of finds still out there.

If your detector totally out of commission, or does it need just a small piece or two?
  • Options

<< <i>WOW!!! A Seated half!!! I have yet to dig a single one. I've gotten one Seated quarter in 20 years. I know of one half that was found here (by my Jedi-class digger pal Billy, of course).

I'm insanely jealous.

Again...

Mark my words... you're gonna pop a gold half-eagle before it's all said and done. Or something VERY interesting in the Draped Bust or Flowing Hair silver department. Something that looks like your avatar coin. On super sites like this, as often as you get out? I can't wait to see it happen. >>

The funny thing is that I personally had previously detected many of these spots, pretty hard too. I'm sure others have detected these areas too. Talked to a walker (to clarify, not a zombie) last year, and he mentioned he saw a detectorist who had found some "big pennies", so these may just be the scraps that are left! Can only imagine what the first guy must have found. I know I had been over that Seated Half section at least several times prior. But I believe the really moist soil and frost have something to do with these finds. Just goes to show there are plenty of finds still out there.

If your detector totally out of commission, or does it need just a small piece or two?

SoCalMark, that's interesting. I'll go back and take a look to see if that could be it!