Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Langbords win.

1181920212224»

Comments

• Options
    SteveSteve Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭
    Thanks Steven for the above input.

My understanding has been that the coin sold at auction for $7.5 million on July 30th, 2002 WAS sold to an anonymous buyer. This "person" or "people" or "corporation" has managed to remain "unknown" to the hobby now for 13 years. AMAZING!
    But, the hobby MUST have an identifier for a "famous" coin, so the hobby calls this old King Farouk coin the FENTON coin as if Mr. Fenton owns it. Somebody MUST know the current status and whereabouts of this coin, don't you think? Steve image
  • Options
    mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 5,978 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The owner of the ex Farouk piece collects only the one coin.The coin is in the custody of a numismatic organization (ANS?) IIRC.

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think some hallucinogens are working on a few of you guys. Trippin' out, in fact.
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,994 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Question though. How much of the "info" as in appeals statements, previous decision/s would the en banc panel read or have to read in order to decide to hear the appeal?
  • Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,736 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The entire panel of justices sitting on the 3rd Circuit Court Of Appeals (13 or 14 of them?) are provided with copies of all briefs filed by both sides in the appeal, plus copies of the "Record On Appeal" [which consists of copies of the transcripts of hearings and trial in the district court case plus copies of many of the documents filed in the district court case, including pleadings, motions, briefs, rulings, orders and judgments].

Thus all of the justices will have everything that was reviewed by the 3 justice panel that heard the appeal and issued the now vacated decision of 4-17-2015.

The only question is whether the full panel of justices will decide to have a hearing at which time the attorneys for both sides would reargue the case, or whether they will decide to not have a hearing and will simply issue a decision of the full panel.

If I had to guess, I would suspect that the full panel of justices will decide that it would be appropriate to have a hearing. In that case the attorneys can reargue the appeal. The transcript of a rehearing would be as interesting to read/hear as the transcript of the hearing before the three justice panel last November.
  • Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,039 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are 23 judges on the 3rd circuit court, including Judge Maryanne Trump Barry who has a famous little brother.

14 are active and 9 are "senior" including Judge Barry.

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,994 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The entire panel of justices sitting on the 3rd Circuit Court Of Appeals (13 or 14 of them?) are provided with copies of all briefs filed by both sides in the appeal, plus copies of the "Record On Appeal" [which consists of copies of the transcripts of hearings and trial in the district court case plus copies of many of the documents filed in the district court case, including pleadings, motions, briefs, rulings, orders and judgments].

Thus all of the justices will have everything that was reviewed by the 3 justice panel that heard the appeal and issued the now vacated decision of 4-17-2015.

The only question is whether the full panel of justices will decide to have a hearing at which time the attorneys for both sides would reargue the case, or whether they will decide to not have a hearing and will simply issue a decision of the full panel.

If I had to guess, I would suspect that the full panel of justices will decide that it would be appropriate to have a hearing. In that case the attorneys can reargue the appeal. The transcript of a rehearing would be as interesting to read/hear as the transcript of the hearing before the three justice panel last November. >>

How much of that documentation do you suppose would be required perusing in order to decide to hear the case?
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,543 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Any new developments on this? Is the US Government appealing?
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,566 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Connecticoin

Any new developments on this? Is the US Government appealing?

This old thread was abandoned and a new one started here:

https://forums.collectors.com/...&keyword1=Langbord
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    $1153.00 per ounce.

Any others care to use this thread to guess the price of gold, when the Langbords take back possession. image

Winners usually get trophies.
  • Options
    mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 5,978 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ttt

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file