Comments

• Options
    halfhunterhalfhunter Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭

<< <i>"Who can be unhappy with the arrangements such as seen above?"

I can think of two:

#1.The Government; and

#2. The Langbords.

image >>

I think that this is an all or nothing deal. Even if the Langbords wanted to deal, I don't think that the government would.
    Need the following OBW rolls to complete my 46-64 Roosevelt roll set:
    1947-P & D; 1948-D; 1949-P & S; 1950-D & S; and 1952-S.
    Any help locating any of these OBW rolls would be gratefully appreciated!
  • Options
    howardshowards Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭

<< <i>"Who can be unhappy with the arrangements such as seen above?"

I can think of two:

#1.The Government; and

#2. The Langbords.

image >>

And the owner of the Farouk specimen.
  • Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>And the owner of the Farouk specimen. >>

This person will have a dilemma if the Langbord coins go to the family. The Farouk coin owner has carefully guarded his identity, but will have to go public if they wish to litigate against the government for violating the terms of sale.
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,149 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>And the owner of the Farouk specimen. >>

This person will have a dilemma if the Langbord coins go to the family. The Farouk coin owner has carefully guarded his identity, but will have to go public if they wish to litigate against the government for violating the terms of sale. >>

The Government promised no others would be monetized. I see no reason for them to again put on the charade of collecting $20 at the sale. They can easily keep that promise.
  • Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>This person will have a dilemma if the Langbord coins go to the family. The Farouk coin owner has carefully guarded his identity, but will have to go public if they wish to litigate against the government for violating the terms of sale. >>

The Government promised no others would be monetized....They can easily keep that promise. >>

Regardless of what was put into writing, the Farouk buyer had a reasonable expectation that the coin would remain "unique." Whether that can be enforced I am not sure, but there is no doubt it can be litigated, probably for a long time.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>This person will have a dilemma if the Langbord coins go to the family. The Farouk coin owner has carefully guarded his identity, but will have to go public if they wish to litigate against the government for violating the terms of sale. >>

The Government promised no others would be monetized....They can easily keep that promise. >>

Regardless of what was put into writing, the Farouk buyer had a reasonable expectation that the coin would remain "unique." Whether that can be enforced I am not sure, but there is no doubt it can be litigated, probably for a long time. >>

The only uniqueness was the monetization - there are others in the Smithsonian
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,000 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

Regardless of what was put into writing, the Farouk buyer had a reasonable expectation that the coin would remain "unique." Whether that can be enforced I am not sure, but there is no doubt it can be litigated, probably for a long time. >>

The only uniqueness was the monetization - there are others in the Smithsonian >>

If the coins passed assay muster [which I believe they did] and the results forwarded to the coiner at the Philly mint then they are already monetized, just as all previously struck DEs were. Nobody has apparently answered my previous query about whether the coins had to be released for/to circulation in order to complete the monetizing process.
  • Options
    howardshowards Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭

<< <i> Nobody has apparently answered my previous query about whether the coins had to be released for/to circulation in order to complete the monetizing process. >>

It's my understanding that the concept of "monetizing" didn't exist when the '33 double eagles were minted (the concept may have been invented as part of the Farouk specimen deal).

So I think the question is unanswerable in the context of standard practice when the '33 double eagles were minted.
  • Options
    TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Langbords win. >>

I dunno. It sure doesn't seem that way.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Langbords win. >>

I dunno. It sure doesn't seem that way. >>

They haven't lost yet either.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i> Nobody has apparently answered my previous query about whether the coins had to be released for/to circulation in order to complete the monetizing process. >>

It's my understanding that the concept of "monetizing" didn't exist when the '33 double eagles were minted (the concept may have been invented as part of the Farouk specimen deal).

So I think the question is unanswerable in the context of standard practice when the '33 double eagles were minted. >>

According to member Deepcoin, they were monetized. All DEs struck and put into circulation were monetized, it was just never stated as such.

Also, since none were ever reported to be missing I'd say it's a strong possibility that the mint got their $20 in exchange for the ones that got out.

From Merriam-Webster........

Monetize

1 : to coin into money; also : to establish as legal tender
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,892 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Monetizing image
    I am so sorry to laugh, or scoff at this word. Assigning a value is what the U.S. Treasury did after requiring all gold coinage to be turned in except for those "collectibles" which were already monetized, but collectible. The government is trying to skirt ex post facto laws with writers for them , doing a great job of suggesting that COIN DEALERS are to blame.

$20 minted on these specimens is monetization. What's done is done. What's out is out.
    A little off topic, but hey….. Let's burn a confederate flag today .
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,599 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>Langbords win. >>

I dunno. It sure doesn't seem that way. >>

They haven't lost yet either. >>

They are leading in the home stretch.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,044 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Many more innings to go.

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options
    Bottom of the Eighth, and the Mint is trying a suicide squeeze!
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,044 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "It ain't over till it's over" - Yogi Berra

An who will play King Farouk in the film?

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options
    mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 5,980 ✭✭✭✭✭

My film only references Farouk.Farouk is important to the story.Really,a big story within a much bigger story.

Besides,do you have any idea how much it costs to shoot a movie in Egypt?image

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• Options
    SteveSteve Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭
    Quiet time is almost over. The Langbords response to the government's petition is due by this Monday, July 20th. I'll be interested in what it says, particularly if it will vigorously be defending the CAFRA decision of the panel and pointing out that there is NO proof that the coins were stolen from the US Mint. Steve image
  • Options
  • Options

<< <i>"It ain't over till it's over" - Yogi Berra

image >>

Sydney Greenstreet. And if he is not available, Victor Buono.

• Options

Sydney Greenstreet. And if he is not available, Victor Buono.

I did a double take there captain.I thought you wrote Victor (D) Brenner playing King Farouk.

if it will vigorously be defending the CAFRA decision of the panel and pointing out that there is NO proof that the coins were stolen from the US Mint

For gov,the Langbord case has overwhelming circumstantial evidence resulting in a preponderance going for it.Do you know if those 10 Langbord pieces were dusted when gov got ahold of them?

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• Options

<< <i>
    if it will vigorously be defending the CAFRA decision of the panel and pointing out that there is NO proof that the coins were stolen from the US Mint

For gov,the Langbord case has overwhelming circumstantial evidence resulting in a preponderance going for it.Do you know if those 10 Langbord pieces were dusted when gov got ahold of them? >>

Not relevant as the courts have already decided [whether anyone else agrees with them or not] that the coins were stolen. The government improperly confiscated the coins without due process. Funny thing about technicalities is that they're great when they work for you but suck when they work agin ya. Methinks that in spite of previous rulings that the Government could not meet the burden of proof in order to prevail in a CAFRA hearing.
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,296 ✭✭✭✭✭
    their response should be an interesting read

I wonder if they get into the theft and hearsay aspects or just stick to the 4.5 years and CAFRA.

They could likely stick to just CAFRA, but if I had room in the 15 pages, I'd throw all I could in there.

and this is going to be the same deal as the gov't request. they have until midnight Monday, barring tech problems, to e-file.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    The gov did use some pretty blunt language in their last petition.I was expecting their petition to be less aggressive than it was.When it comes to spinning a yarn the gov has a huge advantage over Langbords.Really,there isn't much of a story for the Langords to tell.I'm confused about what kind of box the coins were found in.I thought for the longest time the coins were discovered in a bank safety deposit box.

The coins were found in the jewelry shop? I was reading that the shop is junky and cluttered.Izzy could have had more than one hiding place.The bench should be checked thoroughly.There are many hiding places in the bench.

• Options

<< <i>The gov did use some pretty blunt language in their last petition.I was expecting their petition to be less aggressive than it was.When it comes to spinning a yarn the gov has a huge advantage over Langbords.Really,there isn't much of a story for the Langords to tell.I'm confused about what kind of box the coins were found in.I thought for the longest time the coins were discovered in a bank safety deposit box.

The coins were found in the jewelry shop? I was reading that the shop is junky and cluttered.Izzy could have had more than one hiding place.The bench should be checked thoroughly.There are many hiding places in the bench. >>

I was under the impression that Joan Langbord visited the SDB numerous times. The coins may well have been in the SDB and she played musical hiding places.
  • Options
    THE CLOCK STOPS TICKING AGAIN AT MIDNIGHT TONIGHT. Yes, the second of the 15 days of quiet time is quickly coming to an end. The 3rd circuit appeals court gave the government the required 45 days after the panel's decision to appeal. Then, at the governments request, the appeals court gave the government 30 more days to officially file their appeal. Now the Langboards are on the last day of their 14 days in which to file their response to the governments appeal. And so we have a little over a quarter of a year gone by since the April 17th decision. Those here with access to PACER, please send us a link to the Langboards response so we can again enjoy the back and forth arguments of the lawyers. I do wonder how long it will be AFTER today, before we hear again from the appeals court with their BIG decision. Do they support the CAFRA law and therefore reaffirm the Langboard WIN? Or do they say lets hear more arguments in which case I predict it is a indication that the court will ultimately reverse the panels decision. WE SHALL SEE! Steveimage
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,892 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's a good thread title, nonetheless.
  • Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,770 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As expected the Langbords filed their answer to the petition for rehearing yesterday. Will follow up after I have read it.
  • Options
    Skimmed the Langbords' answer to the government's petition for rehearing.

It opens by stating:

"It is often said in legal circles that when the facts are against you, pound the law; when the law is against you, pound the facts; and when the facts and the law are against you, pound the table. The government's Petition For Rehearing (the "Petition") contains much table pounding. Along the way , the government omits critical facts and misstates others, presents an inaccurate, distorted and misleading picture of the law, and improperly raises new arguments and cases not presented to the original Panel."

The answer asserts that the Petition For Rehearing should be denied. It asserts that the Petition For Rehearing does not meet the standards required for such a Petition (the standards are set forth in the 3rd District Court Of Appeal Local Appellate Rules, Rule 35.1 which states:

L.A.R. 35.0 DETERMINATION OF CAUSES BY THE COURT EN BANC

35.1 Required Statement for Rehearing En Banc

Where the party seeking rehearing en banc is represented by counsel, the petition must
    contain, so far as is pertinent, the following statement of counsel:
    "I express a belief, based on a reasoned and studied professional judgment,
    that the panel decision is contrary to decisions of the United States Court of
    Appeals for the Third Circuit or the Supreme Court of the United States, and
    that consideration by the full court is necessary to secure and maintain
    uniformity of decisions in this court, i.e., the panel's decision is contrary to
    the decision of this court or the Supreme Court in [citing specifically the case
    or cases], OR, that this appeal involves a question of exceptional importance,
    i.e., [set forth in one sentence].")

The Langbords answer asserts that nothing in the majority opinion of the court issued on 4-17-2015 is “contrary to decisions of the United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit or the Supreme Court of the United States” (a basis under Rule 35.1 for en banc review).

The Langbords answer also asserts that nor is “consideration by the full court [] necessary to secure and maintain uniformity of decisions in this court,” (a basis under Rule 35.1 for en banc review); and that the government concedes as much by failing to specify the required case citations in its L.A.R. Rule 35.1 statement.

The Langbords answer asserts that the 4-17-2015 decision will not cause the sky to fall in the world of forfeiture or prevent the government from recovering its own property in future cases and thus does not involve a "questions of exceptional importance under L.A.R. Rule 35.1; and further asserts that to the extent that the government is blocked, IN THIS CASE, from seeking certain remedies it is because of the government's own, intentional, knowing behavior in this case (unconstitutionally seizing the ten double eagles and then refusing to commence a judicial forfeiture proceeding on the preposterous theory [rejected by the trial court judge and by the majority decision of the court of appeal] that the government may simply help itself, and need not follow the law, whenever it acts to confiscate what it believes to be stolen government property.).

The answer then proceeds to present detailed legal arguments on various topics as to why the 4-17-2015 decision is correct and why rehearing is not necessary.

The tenor of the answer focuses on the Mint's decision to not file a forfeiture proceeding against the recommendation of multiple other government agencies and to refuse to comply with the obligations placed upon it by Congress when it enacted CAFRA; that the government should be required to follow the law; and that the government should be subjected to the consequences of not following the law.

The answer, in a footnote, briefly responded to the government's characterization of Mr. Switt as a thief in its Petition. The Langbords answer cites to government reports which do not support the characterization of Mr. Switt as a thief; and points out that they argued in their appeal that the jury verdict should be overturned because of trial court error in admitting hearsay and other objectionable material into evidence that should have been excluded.

It will be interesting to see how the court rules on the Petition For Rehearing. Statistically very few of these petitions are granted. If the Petition is denied then the next stop (if the government decides to press on) is a Petition by the government to the US Supreme Court requesting that it review the case. If the Petition For Rehearing is granted further proceedings will take place before the full panel of Justices on the 3rd Circuit Court Of Appeal. I do not know what those further proceedings will consist of but presume that they would include at least one hearing before the court where the attorneys would present oral argument. They may even include a further round of briefing.

If anyone wants a copy of the answer send me a PM with your email.

• Options
    Love the opening comment!
  • Options
    shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    BAJJER I think it was admitted that the Langbords lied about the SDB, but that wasn't relevant to the case. Supposedly the coins sat in an SDB that was 10 years old for 50 years. That makes as much sense as anything else in this shebang.
    ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • Options
    12-4574
    IN THE
    United States Court of Appeals
    FOR THE THIRD CIRCUIT
    ROY LANGBORD, DAVID LANGBORD, JOAN LANGBORD
    Plaintiffs-Appellants,
    —v.—
    UNITED STATES DEPARTMENT OF THE TREASURY, UNITED STATES BUREAU OF THE
    MINT, SECRETARY OF THE UNITED STATES DEPARTMENT OF THE TREASURY,
    ACTING GENERAL COUNSEL OF THE UNITED STATES DEPARTMENT OF THE
    TREASURY, DIRECTOR OF THE UNITED STATES MINT, CHIEF COUNSEL UNITED
    STATES MINT, DEPUTY DIRECTOR OF THE UNITED STATES MINT, JOHN DOE NOS. 1
    TO 10 “John Doe” Being Fictional First and Last Names, UNITED STATES OF AMERICA,
    Defendants-Appellees.
    TEN 1933 DOUBLE EAGLE GOLD PIECES,
    ROY LANGBORD, DAVID LANGBORD, JOAN LANGBORD,
    Third Party Defendants,
    ROY LANGBORD, DAVID LANGBORD, JOAN LANGBORD,
    Appellants.
    FOR REHEARING EN BANC
    BARRY H. BERKE, ESQ.
    ERIC A. TIRSCHWELL, ESQ.
    ROBINWILCOX, ESQ.
    KRAMER LEVIN NAFTALIS
    &FRANKEL LLP
    1177 Avenue of the Americas
    New York, New York 10036
    (212) 715-9100
    Attorneys for Plaintiffs-Appellants

Case: 12-4574 Document: 003112022832 Page: 1 Date Filed: 07/20/2015

It is often said in legal circles that when the facts are against you, pound the law;
    when the law is against you, pound the facts; and when the facts and the law are against
    you, pound the table. The government’s Petition for Rehearing (the “Petition”) contains
    much table pounding. Along the way, the government omits critical facts and misstates
    others, presents an inaccurate, distorted and misleading picture of the law, and
    improperly raises new arguments and cases not presented to the original Panel.
    The Petition should be denied. The Panel majority recognized that this case is
    about an unconstitutional abuse of power and holding the government accountable for
    its unlawful acts. The majority opinion is a meticulously reasoned, logical, and correct
    application of the clear dictates of the Civil Asset Forfeiture Reform Act (“CAFRA”).
    Nothing in it is “contrary to decisions of the United States Court of Appeals for the Third
    Circuit or the Supreme Court of the United States,” nor is “consideration by the full
    court [] necessary to secure and maintain uniformity of decisions in this court,” 3d Cir.
    L.A.R. 35.1 (2008); indeed, the government concedes as much by failing to specify the
    required case citations in its L.A.R. 35.1 statement.
    The government’s table-pounding notwithstanding, the decision will not cause
    the sky to fall in the world of forfeiture or prevent the government from recovering its
    own property in future cases, and thus does not involve a “question of exceptional
    importance” under L.A.R. 35.1. To the extent the government in this case is blocked
    from seeking certain remedies, it is because of the government’s own intentional,
    knowing behavior in this case – i.e., unconstitutionally seizing the 1933 Double Eagles
    (the “Coins”), and then refusing to commence a judicial forfeiture proceeding on the
    preposterous theory, rejected by the District Court and the Panel majority and dissent

Case: 12-4574 Document: 003112022832 Page: 2 Date Filed: 07/20/2015
    - 2 -

alike, that the government may simply help itself, and need not follow the law, whenever
    it acts to confiscate what it believes to be stolen government property.
    The Government’s Unconstitutional Conduct. We begin with the central findings
    – never mentioned in the Petition – that were unanimously agreed on by the District
    Judge, the Panel majority and the dissent (and which the government chose not to
    cross-appeal): the government seized the Co/u]ins from the Langbords, and in doing so,
    the government violated their constitutional rights. (Maj. Op. 14 (“the Government’s
    seizure of [the Double Eagles] was unconstitutional, as the District Court determined”);
    Diss. Op. 1 (“The Government . . . acted unconstitutionally when it seized the ten Golden
    Eagle coins . . .”)). This illegal act by the government followed the Langbords’ decisions
    to (a) voluntarily come forward in 2004, knowing 1933 Double Eagles had been the
    subject of controversy, (b) apprise the government that they had found the ten Coins, (c)
    turn the Coins over (at the government’s request) for the limited purpose of
    authentication while reserving all rights, and (d) explore whether an agreement could be
    worked out, perhaps along the lines of the settlement the government had recently
    entered into with another owner of a contested 1933 Double Eagle. (Maj. Op. 6-7
    (describing the 2002 Fenton settlement, where one 1933 Double Eagle was auctioned
    and the proceeds split evenly between the owner and the government)).
    Once the Coins were authenticated, instead of discussing the issues and a
    possible resolution with the Langbords, the government instead unilaterally decided to
    confiscate and keep the Coins – without following the law or affording the Langbords
    any process whatsoever. Why? Because the government believed (but had not proven)
    that the Coins had somehow been “taken out of the United States Mint in Philadelphia

Case: 12-4574 Document: 003112022832 Page: 3 Date Filed: 07/20/2015
    - 3 -

in an unlawful manner” in the 1930s (JA143-44; JA 823).
    When the United States Mint made this intentional, unlawful and
    unconstitutional decision not to seek forfeiture in court or pursue any other lawful
    avenue to retain the seized Coins – even after the Langbords submitted a “seized asset
    claim” under 18 U.S.C. § 983(a)(2)(A) – it knew that it was flouting the requirements of
    CAFRA because its actions contradicted the advice of senior legal officials from “‘[a]ll
    the agencies involved,’” including the U.S. Attorney’s Office, the Treasury Executive
    Office for Asset Forfeiture, and the Secret Service, which were “‘in favor of pursuing
    forfeiture’”; only the U.S. Mint wanted to try to keep the Coins “‘without the need for
    forfeiture.’” (Maj. Op. 7 (quoting JA818)). In other words, as the Panel majority wrote,
    the record shows that “the Government knew that it was obligated to bring a judicial
    civil forfeiture proceeding or to return the property, but refused to do so.” (Id. at 27).
    As a result, the government violated not only CAFRA, but the Fifth Amendment as well.
    The government’s failure to even acknowledge its own unconstitutional actions is
    no immaterial omission. It is the inconvenient truth that the government cannot avoid,
    and the answer to many of the government’s fallacious arguments.1

1Although not directly relevant to the issues in the Petition, the government’s repeated
    references to Israel Switt as a “thief” – and its claim that the Langbords “never
    challenged” this point on appeal – demand a response. (Pet. 1-2 & n.1). As its own
    reports make clear, the Secret Service investigation in the 1940s did “not conclusively
    establish when, how, or by whom the coins found in circulation were taken from the
    Philadelphia Mint, although the evidence pointed very strongly toward [former Mint
    cashier] George A. McCann….” (JA4928; JA5007). Switt was identified not as the thief
    but as the source of 1933 Double Eagles sold to various collectors. (JA22-23; JA4928).
    While the jury’s 2010 forfeiture verdict may have reflected a determination that the
    Coins were stolen from the Mint, there was no specific finding that Switt was the “thief.”
    Moreover, the Langbords argued at length in their appeal that the jury’s verdict should
    be overturned because, inter alia, the District Court erred in admitting a large volume of
    inadmissible, unimpeachable hearsay and other unfairly prejudicial material, and had
    erroneously instructed the jury on various key issues. (Appellants’ Br. 40-70). Although

Case: 12-4574 Document: 003112022832 Page: 4 Date Filed: 07/20/2015
    - 4 -

Declaratory Judgment. The government begins by trying to resuscitate its
    declaratory judgment claim, arguing that the Panel majority “erred in not recognizing
    that the government acted in this case not as law enforcer, but as property owner.” (Pet.
    3-4). That is simply false. The government here seized the coins, it did so
    unconstitutionally, and it is precisely because the government acted as law enforcer, and
    did so illegally, that certain consequences follow. Having seized the Coins and notified
    the Langbords of its intention to keep them, the government cannot now cry foul
    because the panel majority held it to the timelines Congress put in place through CAFRA
    to protect individuals from whom the government seizes and confiscates property.
    The government continues to peddle the fiction that “[w]hen the government
    finds and recovers actual property stolen from it (as opposed to proceeds), it does not
    ‘forfeit’ it. It instead acts to recover it.” (Pet. 4). It is difficult to understand what this is
    supposed to mean – but what is clear is that in this case the government did not “find”
    or “recover” the Coins, it unconstitutionally seized them, and then made a decision to
    permanently keep them without affording the Langbords any process whatsoever. The
    Panel majority therefore correctly rejected the government’s argument that “stolen
    government property falls outside the protections of CAFRA,” explaining that “Congress

footnote 1 continued
    it did not reach any of these trial error issues, the Panel majority agreed with the
    Langbords that the District Court had erred in admitting into evidence multiple layers of
    hearsay from the Secret Service reports from the 1940s. (Maj. Op. at 10-11 & n.5). In
    sum, to this day there is no reliable verdict as to how these Coins left the Mint.
    In that regard, the government continues to misstate and oversimplify the facts when it
    claims that President Roosevelt “directed that the 445,500 1933-dated Double Eagles
    that had recently been minted in Philadelphia not be issued.” (Pet. 1). In fact, for
    several weeks after President Roosevelt took office, the Mint was authorized to release
    gold coins in exchange for gold deposits. (See Appellants’ Br. 5).

Case: 12-4574 Document: 003112022832 Page: 5 Date Filed: 07/20/2015
    - 5 -

has specifically enumerated theft or embezzlement of government property [under 18
    U.S.C. § 641] as one of the crimes to which CAFRA applies.” (Maj. Op. 12).2
    The government next argues that the panel majority opinion would limit the
    government to forfeiture as the “only remedy” with respect to “the government’s own
    stolen property” (Pet. 5) – “even the greatest national treasures” (Pet. 9). This grossly
    misstates what the Panel majority held. In throwing out the declaratory judgment
    claim, the Panel majority ruled out only one non-forfeiture remedy in this case – the
    discretionary and equitable declaratory judgment remedy. The government fails to
    acknowledge that there were other non-forfeiture remedies besides declaratory
    judgment that the government might have pursued here, but chose not to in furtherance
    of its unconstitutional effort to deprive the Langbords of any process whatsoever. For
    example, as the District Court observed, had the government not illegally seized the
    Coins, it could have pursued a replevin claim, the very claim it brought over 60 years
    ago in seeking to recover another 1933 Double Eagle in the Barnard case. (JA156
    (“Barnard serves as an example of a reasonable course of action available to the
    Government to recover a coin that it believed to have been stolen.”)).
    But in this case, the government’s decision to break the law instead of following it
    has consequences. As the District Court correctly held, in a ruling the government did
    not challenge on appeal, having seized and retained possession of the Coins (in violation

2 Similarly unavailing is the government’s related argument that forfeiture “transfers
    title to the government,” and therefore was in this case “unnecessary, given that the
    government retains title to property that has been stolen from it.” (Pet. 2-3). If
    adopted, the government’s “transfer of title” argument would lead to the absurd result
    that any time the government asserts property was stolen from it, it could simply take it
    back (through a seizure or otherwise) and keep it, without affording the individual who
    possessed it with any process whatsoever. The Panel majority correctly rejected this
    spurious argument, as did the three government agencies with forfeiture expertise.

Case: 12-4574 Document: 003112022832 Page: 6 Date Filed: 07/20/2015
    - 6 -

of the Langbords’ constitutional rights), the government lost the ability to bring a
    replevin claim. (JA126-27). In other words, it was the government’s own
    unconstitutional conduct, not the Panel majority’s opinion, that deprived it of this
    common law avenue to attempt to recover the Coins.3
    The government claims that “[n]umerous doctrines . . . provide that the
    government cannot inadvertently or through negligence lose title to its property.” (Pet.
    5-6). But this is not a case about “inadvertence” or “negligence.” The authorities cited –
    only some of which were cited to the Panel – are in no way inconsistent with Congress
    prescribing through CAFRA that where the government seizes property
    (unconstitutionally), where a claim to that property is promptly filed, and where the
    government then makes a calculated and knowing decision not to commence a judicial
    forfeiture proceeding within 90 days, the government’s right to seek forfeiture of that
    property is forever lost. See 18 U.S.C. § 983(a)(3)(B).
    The government argues that its declaratory judgment action “was in the nature of
    a quiet title claim” and therefore was not merely a mechanism to “circumvent CAFRA’s
    90-day deadline.” (Pet. 7). But the Panel majority correctly recognized that in this case,
    the government’s forfeiture theory that the Coins were stolen from the Mint was
    indistinguishable from its request for a declaratory judgment that the Coins “were not
    lawfully removed from the United States Mint.” (Maj. Op. 30). As the Panel majority

3 For these reasons, the government’s hypothetical at pages 4-5 of its Petition is based
    on a flawed premise. In this case the government did something a private owner could
    not do – it put on its law enforcement hat and unconstitutionally seized the Coins.
    Having done so, it lost the right to pursue other remedies that the government might
    otherwise have had. The Panel majority’s decision erects no barrier to the government
    acting differently with respect to different property in future cases. In fact, where the
    statute of limitations has not run, the government also will continue to be free to pursue
    criminal forfeiture to recover stolen government property. Thus, far from having fewer
    rights than a private person to recover stolen property, the government has more.

Case: 12-4574 Document: 003112022832 Page: 7 Date Filed: 07/20/2015
    - 7 -

correctly decided, surely Congress did not intend to allow the government to employ a
    declaratory judgment to so easily do an end-run around CAFRA’s important deadlines
    that were central to Congress’ intent to protect citizens from exactly the type of
    government abuse of power that occurred here.
    As to the Panel majority’s alternative holding that the declaratory judgment claim
    “cannot be recognized because CAFRA amounts to a ‘special statutory proceeding’” (id.
    at 31), the government’s argument that this ruling is “unprecedented” (Pet. 8) falls far
    short of meeting the rehearing standards where – as the Panel majority pointed out – no
    court has ruled to the contrary.4 The government’s additional argument that “Congress
    never stated that CAFRA displaces all other remedies” (Pet. 8) misstates the limited
    scope of the majority’s ruling on this point, which bars the government only from
    pursuing one other remedy – declaratory judgment. And it does so not by holding that
    CAFRA preempts or displaces that equitable remedy, but instead by applying the wellestablished
    doctrine that courts will not entertain declaratory judgment claims where

4 The government cites Mantilla v. United States, 302 F.3d 182, 187 (3d Cir. 2002), as
    being in “conflict[] with” the panel majority’s ruling on declaratory judgment (Pet. 8-9),
    but that decision has nothing to do with CAFRA, whether it is “a special statutory
    proceeding,” or declaratory judgment. It simply holds that an entirely different statute
    (21 U.S.C. § 881(a)) did not displace the common law doctrine of in pari delicto that
    prevented the defendant in that case from “using the courts to recover” drug buy money
    “voluntarily transferred to Customs agents.” 302 F.3d at 186-87. Perhaps this is why
    the government did not mention this case in its brief to the Panel, providing an
    additional reason to disregard it. See Royce v. Hahn, 151 F.3d 116, 125 (3d Cir. 1998)
    (refusing on rehearing en banc to consider matters not discussed in briefs to panel).
    The argument and authorities cited in fn. 4, p.7 of the Petition are also inapposite, as the
    majority decision does not apply a statute of limitations and does not address a suit
    against the United States or sovereign immunity; moreover, none were cited to the
    panel, and thus are not properly considered now. The same is true of the government’s
    new argument on page 6 of the Petition based on Linwood Harvestore, Inc. v. Cannon,
    235 A.2d 377, 380 (Pa. 1967). That case too was not argued to the original panel, and is
    about Pennsylvania law relevant to replevin – a claim not at issue here.

Case: 12-4574 Document: 003112022832 Page: 8 Date Filed: 07/20/2015
    - 8 -

Congress has devised “procedures and remedies tailored to a limited subset of cases and
    [to] preserv[ing] individual rights.” (Maj. Op. 32). The government offers no
    explanation as to how or why the majority erred in its alternative holding on declaratory
    judgment that CAFRA satisfies this standard.5
    CAFRA and Forfeiture. Turning from declaratory judgment to forfeiture, the
    government takes issue with the Panel majority’s holdings under CAFRA that (1) “the
    presentation of a claim under Section 983(a)(2) is independent of the government’s
    presentation of notice of a nonjudicial forfeiture” and (2) “a ‘nonjudicial civil forfeiture
    proceeding’ commences when the Government has seized property.” (Pet. 10 (citing
    Maj. Op. 19, 22)). As to the first point, the Panel majority was absolutely correct in
    reading the plain language of CAFRA, and § 983(a)(2)(A) in particular, to mean that “a
    person claiming seized property can file a seized asset claim, whether or not the
    Government has sent or is required to send notice.” (Maj. Op. 15-16). Far from being
    “unprecedented” or “inconsistent with judicial authority,” this interpretation is
    supported by pre- and post-CAFRA forfeiture decisions, as well as the two leading
    forfeiture treatise authors, and a decision issued earlier this year.6

5 There is an additional ground for dismissing the declaratory judgment claim, which
    the Panel did not reach: that claim was filed too late. (See Appellants’ Br. 35 (arguing
    the declaratory judgment claim should not have been allowed due to undue delay, where
    the government made a strategic choice not to bring the claim earlier); see also Maj. Op.
    27 (noting government’s complaint, including declaratory judgment claim, was not filed
    until “four years and nineteen days after the Langbords filed their seized asset claim”)).

6 See Appellants’ Br. at 26-27 (citing United States v. $10,000 in United States
    Currency, No. 06CV2439-L(AJB), 2007 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 58999, at *9 (S.D. Cal. Aug.
    13, 2007) (“Section 983(a)(2) is unambiguous. It sets forth the earliest and the latest
    time to file a claim, with ‘after the seizure’ being the earliest. . . . It does not include a
    requirement for a written notice prior to filing a claim.”), vacated following settlement,
    2007 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 70107 (S.D. Cal. Sept. 21, 2007); Stefan D. Cassella, The Civil

Case: 12-4574 Document: 003112022832 Page: 9 Date Filed: 07/20/2015
    - 9 -

Not only does the government thus misrepresent the state of the decisional law; it
    also blatantly and repeatedly misstates the text of the relevant provision. Thus, whereas
    § 983(a)(2) states “[a]ny person claiming property seized in a nonjudicial forfeiture
    proceeding under a civil forfeiture statute may file a claim with the appropriate official
    after the seizure . . . ” (emphasis added), the government changes the critical words
    “after the seizure” to “after receiving notice,” perhaps hoping nobody would notice
    where it closed its quotation marks. (See Pet. 10 (stating – incorrectly – that “Section
    983(a)(2) allows ‘[a]ny person claiming property seized in a nonjudicial forfeiture
    proceeding’ to file a claim after receiving notice”) (emphasis added)). Similarly, the
    government writes that § 983(a)(2)(B) “contemplates that a seized asset claim will not
    be filed until notice is provided” (Pet. 12), wholly ignoring that this subsection (B) deals
    with the latest a claim can be filed, whereas subsection (A) of § 983(a)(2) provides the
    earliest a claim can be filed, i.e., at any point “after the seizure.” In the face of this

footnote 6 continued
    Asset Forfeiture Reform Act of 2000: Expanded Government Forfeiture Authority and
    Strict Deadlines Imposed on All Parties, 27 J. Legis. 97, 141 (2001) (“While most
    claimants will wait until they receive formal notice of the administrative forfeiture
    proceeding to file a claim, nothing in the statute suggests they must do so. In fact,
    interpreting paragraph [(a)](2)(A) to permit a person to file a claim without waiting to
    receive formal written notice is consistent with pre-CAFRA case law which held that a
    person could file a claim any time after the property was seized.”) (citing United States
    v. $52,800 in U.S. Currency, 33 F.3d 1337, 1340-41 (11th Cir. 1994) (“nothing prevented
    claimants from filing a claim . . . before issuance of the notice.”)); David B. Smith,
    Prosecution and Defense of Forfeiture Cases § 6.02[2][.B] at 6-22 (2012) (“A person
    with an interest in the seized property may file a claim letter . . . prior to receiving
    written notice . . ., thus starting the government’s 90-day clock for filing a complaint.”)).
    Accord United States v. Ali, Nos. 6:15-cr-00094-LSC-JEO, 2:15-mj-00079-JHE, 2015
    WL 2159335, at *3 (N.D. Ala. May 5, 2015) (“although [the person from whom property
    was seized] has not received notice of either agency’s intent to seek administrative
    forfeiture, he is entitled to file a claim any time after the seizure, which would set the
    legal machinery in motion”). The government cites United States v. $200,255.00 in
    U.S. Currency, No. 7:05-CV-27(HL), 2006 WL 1687774 (M.D. Ga. June 16, 2006), but
    that decision fails to grapple with the plain language of § 983(a)(2)(A), and is, we
    respectfully submit, wrongly decided.

Case: 12-4574 Document: 003112022832 Page: 10 Date Filed: 07/20/2015
    - 10 -

egregious misstatement of the plain language of the statute, reflective of the overzealous
    advocacy that has characterized the government’s approach to this case from
    day one, the government’s accusation that it is the Panel majority that “rewrites an
    important part of the forfeiture laws” (Pet. 9) is ironic at best.
    The government claims that “the majority erases the period afforded by Congress
    for the government to determine whether and how to seek forfeiture.” (Pet. 12). In fact,
    it is Congress, not the Panel majority, that enacted the timing reforms set out in CAFRA,
    including giving claimants the right and ability to expedite the process when the
    government has seized property. While Congress thus required the government to
    provide written notice where required within 60 after the date of a seizure (or 90 days if
    a state or local agency seized the property), §§ 983(a)(1)(A)(i), (A)(iv), it also allowed for
    – and the majority decision in no way interferes with – the possibility of extending the
    notice period, which is explicitly authorized, §§ 983(a)(1)(B)-(D). And while Congress
    also allowed claimants to challenge a forfeiture in court by requiring that the
    government bring a judicial forfeiture action within 90 days of a seized asset claim being
    filed, § 983(a)(3)(A), it again provided for – and the majority opinion does not interfere
    with – the government seeking to extend the 90- day period before it expires for “good
    cause shown or upon agreement of the parties.” Id.
    CAFRA’s congressional sponsors believed the 90-day deadline—which the
    government chose to ignore here – was one of the statute’s “most important reforms”:
    Previously, there was no statutory deadline compelling the Government to
    commence a judicial forfeiture action within any fixed period of time. This
    caused frequent complaints from defense attorneys who did all they could to
    force the Government to commence a judicial forfeiture action by filing a claim
    . . ., yet were forced to wait months or even years before the Government gave
    their clients their ‘day in court’ by filing a forfeiture complaint.

Case: 12-4574 Document: 003112022832 Page: 11 Date Filed: 07/20/2015
    - 11 -

Stefan D. Cassella, Asset Forfeiture Law in the United States § 7-4 at 243-44 (2d. ed.
    2013). CAFRA changed this: “[.U]nder Section 983(a)(3), the Government no longer has
    the luxury in most cases of delaying the commencement of a judicial forfeiture action as
    long as it sees fit.” Id. § 7-4 at 245.
    Congress also provided that a claimant could file a claim at any time “after the
    seizure,” § 983(a)(2)(A), as the majority correctly held. (Maj. Op. 22 (“When the
    government has seized property, then the person from whom the property was seized
    has the right to file a seized asset claim pursuant to § 983(a)(2)(A), thereby triggering
    the 90-day deadline in § 983(a)(3)(A).”)). But this does not erase the time the
    government has to decide how to proceed; it just potentially shortens it to no less than
    90 days, with the option of the government getting more time for “good cause shown or
    upon agreement of the parties,” where the government has seized property. In this case,
    the Mint clearly knew of the 90-day deadline, waiting 87 days from receipt of the
    Langbords’ seized asset claim before proclaiming – over the advice of all the other
    agencies involved – that it had “no intention of seeking [] forfeiture.” (JA837-38). To
    the extent the government has complaints about these central timeframe reforms
    reflected in CAFRA, notwithstanding the provisions for extensions, it should direct its
    complaints to Congress, not this Court.7
    The government relatedly argues that the Panel majority erred in not recognizing
    that “not every seizure commences a nonjudicial (administrative) forfeiture” (Pet. 10),
    claiming that there are cases where property is seized for investigation purposes and not

7 The government can always choose not to seize property, and then would have the full
    five years to decide how to proceed under the statute of limitations in 19 U.S.C. § 1621.

Case: 12-4574 Document: 003112022832 Page: 12 Date Filed: 07/20/2015
    - 12 -

forfeiture, or where the type of property seized is not subject to administrative forfeiture
    at all. (Pet. 10-11 & n.6). According to the government, it is therefore notice, not
    seizure, that begins a nonjudicial forfeiture triggering CAFRA’s timelines, and here, the
    government contends, no such notice was sent. (Pet. 12-13).
    The government’s argument that notice, not seizure, is always what commences a
    nonjudicial forfeiture proceeding, in addition to being wrong, would not change the
    analysis and outcome in this case. The record is clear that the government both seized
    the Coins (unconstitutionally) and, at the same time, provided written notice to the
    Langbords that it intended to keep the Coins because it believed they were stolen
    property. (JA152; JA823). A nonjudicial forfeiture proceeding – i.e., the confiscation of
    property outside of any judicial process – therefore had been commenced under either
    interpretation. The Langbords then timely filed a seized asset claim, and the
    government failed to commence a judicial forfeiture proceeding within the 90-day limit.
    As the Panel majority correctly held, the fact that the notice also included the words the
    “Mint has no intention of seeking forfeiture” (JA143-44) does not alter the reality of
    what the government actually did (act nonjudicially to forfeit the Coins) and then failed
    to do (timely file a civil action following receipt of a seized asset claim). To rule
    otherwise would lead to the absurd result that the government could “avoid the
    protections Congress sought to put in place simply by saying ‘we are not seeking
    forfeiture.’” (Maj. Op. 14).
    Beyond the fact that the notice vs. seizure debate is academic in this case, and
    therefore does not warrant rehearing en banc, the government offers no explanation for
    why the Panel majority’s textual analysis of §§ 983(a)(1)-(a)(3) is wrong. If notice, and

Case: 12-4574 Document: 003112022832 Page: 13 Date Filed: 07/20/2015
    - 13 -

not just seizure, is required to start a nonjudicial forfeiture proceeding, why would
    § 983(a)(1)(A)(i) talk about “any nonjudicial civil forfeiture proceeding under a civil
    forfeiture statute, with respect to which the Government is required to send written
    notice to interested parties”? (Maj. Op. 20). Also, as the majority explained, § 983(e)(1)
    – which permits a motion to set aside a declaration of forfeiture where written notice
    has not been received – further supports the finding that notice is not required to
    commence a nonjudicial forfeiture proceeding. (Id. at 20-21). And, § 983(a)(2)(A) –
    which provides that “any person claiming property seized in a nonjudicial civil forfeiture
    proceeding . . . may file a claim with the appropriate official after the seizure” (emphasis
    added) – would similarly be nonsensical if such a proceeding is not commenced until
    the necessarily post-seizure step of the government sending written notice.
    In addition, the government again misreads the majority opinion on this point.
    The majority holds only that a nonjudicial forfeiture proceeding “begins” or is
    “commenced” by a seizure and that “[.H]ere” – i.e., in this case – “the Government’s
    seizure of the property is rightfully considered a nonjudicial civil forfeiture proceeding.”
    (Maj. Op. 19-22). This makes perfect sense, especially since, under the facts of this case,
    the seizure and the notice occurred at the same moment – when the government
    announced in writing that it would not return the Coins and would be keeping them on
    the theory that they were stolen government property. (JA152; JA823). But saying that
    a nonjudicial forfeiture proceeding is “commenced” by a seizure does not mean – and
    the majority opinion is not reasonably read to hold – that every seizure in every case
    therefore is a nonjudicial forfeiture proceeding triggering the time limits in § 983. For
    example, if property is lawfully seized pursuant to a search warrant for investigative or

Case: 12-4574 Document: 003112022832 Page: 14 Date Filed: 07/20/2015
    - 14 -

evidentiary purposes, and not for the purpose of confiscating, forfeiting or keeping the
    property permanently, nothing in the majority opinion holds that CAFRA’s protections
    apply. (See Pet. 13 n.10). But that is not this case, where the property was seized
    unlawfully, the government maintained from that moment on that it was entitled and
    intended to permanently retain the Coins because it believed they were stolen, and the
    government never articulated an evidentiary or non-forfeiture basis for the seizure. (See
    Appellants’ Br. 27-29).
    In its petition, the government even tries to resuscitate an argument based on 19
    U.S.C. § 1607 that was barely mentioned and buried in a footnote in its brief before the
    Panel: i.e., that the Coins were worth too much to be administratively forfeited. (Pet. 11;
    Gov’t Br. 26 n.13). This argument fails. The Coins clearly were eligible for nonjudicial
    forfeiture under §1607(a)(4), which includes “any monetary instrument within the
    meaning of” 31 U.S.C. § 5312(a)(3). Section 5312(a)(3) in turn defines “monetary
    instruments” to include “United States coins.” By any reasonable understanding, the
    1933 Double Eagles – created by the Mint, bearing the name and symbols of the United
    States, and denominated as having a $20 value – are “United States coins.”8 In
    addition, the government has asserted from the beginning that the Coins are stolen
    government property, which also would render them subject to administrative forfeiture
    under § 1607(a)(2), which authorizes nonjudicial forfeiture for any property, the
    importation of which would be prohibited. On the government’s theory that the Coins

8 Indeed, the 1933 Double Eagles are referred to as “coins” by the government
    throughout the pre-litigation record, including in the caption and body of the judicial
    forfeiture complaint the government brought in its earlier attempt to forfeit the 1933
    Double Eagle coin seized from Stephen Fenton. (See United States v. One 1933 United
    States Double Eagle Gold Coin, at JA5233-242).

Case: 12-4574 Document: 003112022832 Page: 15 Date Filed: 07/20/2015
    - 15 -

were stolen, importation would be prohibited by 18 U.S.C. § 2314 and 19 U.S.C. §
    1595a(c)(1)(A).
    Indeed, by refusing to go to court, and instead forfeiting the Coins nonjudicially,
    the government effectively admitted by its conduct that §§ 1607 and 1610 erected no
    barrier to its actions. The government should not be heard to reverse course now in a
    last-ditch effort to raise § 1607 as a shield against the consequences of its unlawful acts.
    Moreover, to the extent the purpose of §§ 1607 and 1610 is to require that forfeitures of
    certain high-value property be brought in court, not through an abbreviated
    administrative process, § 1607 cannot be used to evade the procedures governing
    administrative forfeiture where – as here – the government refused the more protective
    judicial route and effectuated a nonjudicial forfeiture.
    Conclusion. For all of these reasons, the Petition for Rehearing en banc should
    be denied. The Panel majority’s decision is not “contrary to unanimous authority” – or
    any authority – “regarding the property interests of the United States.” (Pet. 1). It will
    not upend the government’s forfeiture efforts. And it correctly finds that the Coins must
    be returned to the Langbord family as a result of the government’s illegal actions and a
    straightforward application of CAFRA’s clear timelines and penalties.
    Dated: July 20, 2015 Respectfully submitted,
    /s/ Barry H. Berke
    Barry H. Berke
    Eric A. Tirschwell
    RobinWilcox
    Kramer Levin Naftalis & Frankel LLP
    1177 Avenue of the Americas
    New York, NY 10036
    (212) 715-9100

Case: 12-4574 Document: 003112022832 Page: 16 Date Filed: 07/20/2015
    - 16 -

CERTIFICATE OF SERVICE
    I hereby certify that this pleading has been served on the Filing Users identified
    below through the Electronic Case Filing (ECF) system:
    Robert A. Zauzmer, Esq.
    Nancy Rue, Esq.
    Jacqueline C. Romero, Esq.
    Office of United States Attorney
    615 Chestnut Street, Suite 1250
    Philadelphia, PA 19106
    /s Eric A. Tirschwell
    Eric A. Tirschwell
    DATED: July 20, 2015.
    Case: 12-4574 Document: 003112022832 Page: 17 Date Filed: 07/20/2015
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    as mentioned, there are footnotes in the document

some footnotes cross over to the next page

these will make for difficult reading, but if you be on guard for footnotes, you hopefully can cope.

• Options
    Thank you to SanctionII for your expert analysis of the Langboards reply to the government petition for rehearing and thank you again Ms.Morrisine for reprinting the complete Langboards lawyer reply to the government petition for rehearing. The documentation this case has had in the last three months thru now of almost NINE HUNDRED posts to this thread is truly a reflection of the interest the case has had. I'm NO legal geek but I am impressed with how the Langbord lawyer presented his arguments. I'm one who would like to see the court reaffirm the panel's decision and then hopefully see the coins returned. I hope we can get the court's decision in the next couple of weeks. Anyone have any ideas WHEN the court will rule? Steveimage
  • Options
    DaveWcoinsDaveWcoins Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭
    From reading the government's brief on this (it was summarized and quoted from extensively in this week's Coin World), you would think that the entire government of the United States is in imminent danger of collapse if these 10 metal disks are not kept in the drawer of some bureaucrat's desk.

I'm glad the Langbord's lawyer used gentle humor to point out the desperation of the government's attorneys.
    Dave Wnuck. Redbook contributor; long time PNG Member; listed on the PCGS Board of Experts. PM me with your email address to receive my e-newsletter, and visit DaveWcoins.com Find me on eBay at davewcoins
  • Options
    Game
    Set
    Match
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Game
    Set
    Match >>

as it should be

mark
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    One can not place too much importance on the April 17, 2015 decision of the three Justice Panel of the 3rd District Court Of Appeal in the Langbords' case over the 10 1933 Double Eagles.

The impact of that decision on the case is major. It gave a 100% victory to the Langbords by concluding that the 10 Double Eagles should be returned to them. That decision did not give only partial relief (such as vacating the trial court judgment and sending the case back to the trial court with instructions to have a new trial of the case).

Given the statistical data on the very low percentage of Petitions For Rehearing that are granted and given the very low percentage of Petitions to the US Supreme Court that are granted the Langbords are currently positioned very well in this case. Even if the current Petition For Rehearing is granted and even if the US Supreme Court would grant a Petition asking it to take up the case, there is no assurance that either court would set aside the April 17, 2015 decision.

The fat lady has not taken the stage yet, but she is in her dressing room warming up her pipes.
  • Options
    Why was Izzy so evasive when questioned by SS agents about how he obtained the coins? Legitimate exchange of old for new at the Mint window didn't happen or Izzy would have told SS that's how he obtained the coins.The coins are stolen.Favorable ruling for the Langbords doesn't change the history of what happened in the '30's at the Mint. Preponderance of evidence standard was met in trial court. Brilliant Langbord lawyering is not how the Langbords win. A miscalculation of possible dire consequences is what screwed this case up for gov.

• Options

<< <i>Why was Izzy so evasive when questioned by SS agents about how he obtained the coins? Legitimate exchange of old for new at the Mint window didn't happen or Izzy would have told SS that's how he obtained the coins.The coins are stolen.Favorable ruling for the Langbords doesn't change the history of what happened in the '30's at the Mint. Preponderance of evidence standard was met in trial court. Brilliant Langbord lawyering is not how the Langbords win. A miscalculation of possible dire consequences is what screwed this case up for gov. >>

As I said before they probably couldn't meet the burden of proof to prevail in a CAFRA proceeding. They were doomed if they did and doomed if they didn't file a CAFRA forfeiture action.
  • Options
    To the extent that the use of the word "miscalculation" by Mr1874 implies a mistake or negligence on the part of the government, that is incorrect. The decision to not file a timely forfeiture proceeding was the result of conscious, intentional, choice by people at the Mint. It was made against the positions taken by other government agencies that a forfeiture proceeding should have been filed (as it was in the Fenton case).

In hind sight the decision to not file a timely forfeiture proceeding was a wrong one. Both the trial court judge and two (or even three) Justices of the Court Of Appeal that issued the 4-17-2015 decision concluded that a forfeiture proceeding should have been filed. However, no one can say the Mint's decision was the result of a mistake or of negligence.
  • Options

<< <i>To the extent that the use of the word "miscalculation" by Mr1874 implies a mistake or negligence on the part of the government, that is incorrect. The decision to not file a timely forfeiture proceeding was the result of conscious, intentional, choice by people at the Mint. It was made against the positions taken by other government agencies that a forfeiture proceeding should have been filed (as it was in the Fenton case).

In hind sight the decision to not file a timely forfeiture proceeding was a wrong one. Both the trial court judge and two (or even three) Justices of the Court Of Appeal that issued the 4-17-2015 decision concluded that a forfeiture proceeding should have been filed. However, no one can say the Mint's decision was the result of a mistake or of negligence. >>

What was the outcome of the Fenton CAFRA filing?
  • Options
    A few days before the scheduled start of the Fenton forfeiture trial (the Fenton case was filed by the government in the 1990's, prior to the enactment of CAFRA) the government attorney called Fenton's attorney and proposed that the case be settled with the coin being auctioned and the sales proceeds split equally between the government and Fenton.
  • Options

<< <i>Why was Izzy so evasive when questioned by SS agents about how he obtained the coins? Legitimate exchange of old for new at the Mint window didn't happen or Izzy would have told SS that's how he obtained the coins.The coins are stolen.Favorable ruling for the Langbords doesn't change the history of what happened in the '30's at the Mint. Preponderance of evidence standard was met in trial court. Brilliant Langbord lawyering is not how the Langbords win. A miscalculation of possible dire consequences is what screwed this case up for gov. >>

He invoked his Fifth Amendment right to obfuscate!

• Options
    Just finished reading the Langbords' answer in detail.

It is an example of very good legal writing.

It addresses the points and arguments made by the government in its Petition For Rehearing (which has a tenor of "the Langbords are the family members and descendants of a thief who will obtain a windfall of millions of dollars if the decision of the Court Of Appeal stands"; and "the Government will be hog tied and put in a place of extreme disadvantage in the area of Asset Forfeiture and deprived of the ability to effectively take action to recover stolen government property if the decision of the Court Of Appeal stands"; and "we need to look at the bigger picture and not trouble ourselves with the facts of this specific case") and it refutes each and every one. The Langbords' answer directs one's attention to the specific facts of this case, points out the government's failure to follow the law and explains why the decision of the Court Of Appeal will not result in the sky falling over the USA if it is not vacated and set aside. It further explains why the government's Petition For Rehearing and its Rule 35.1 Statement does not set forth the content required by Rule 35.1 [including it does not contain the required citation to published 3rd Circuit Court Of Appeal and/or US Supreme Court cases that are in conflict with the Court Of Appeal decision of 4-17-2015].
  • Options

<< <i>

He invoked his Fifth Amendment right to obfuscate!

image >>

speaking of which...

here is as cut-n-paste directly from the reply @ the top of page 9:

<< <i>Not only does the government thus misrepresent the state of the decisional law; it
    also blatantly and repeatedly misstates the text of the relevant provision. Thus, whereas
    § 983(a)(2) states “[a]ny person claiming property seized in a nonjudicial forfeiture
    proceeding under a civil forfeiture statute may file a claim with the appropriate official
    after the seizure . . . ” (emphasis added), the government changes the critical words
    “after the seizure” to “after receiving notice,” perhaps hoping nobody would notice
    where it closed its quotation marks. (See Pet. 10 (stating – incorrectly – that “Section
    983(a)(2) allows ‘[a]ny person claiming property seized in a nonjudicial forfeiture
    proceeding’ to file a claim after receiving notice”) (emphasis added)). >>

this is no joke.

the lawyers for the government quoted this from the CAFRA statute word for word:
    "[a]ny person claiming property seized in a nonjudicial forfeiture proceeding"

keep in mind that is what the government lawyers chose to quote for their case.

they then follow with (emphasis mine):
    to file a claim after receiving notice

if the government was so honest, why did they quote the uncontested and trivial portion of the CAFRA statute and CHANGE the precise wording of the latter portion of the relevant text -- a change from "after seizure" to “after receiving notice"?

This is no joke. They flat out edited the relevant wording of the statute to words in their choosing and favor.

The fact that the government did this does two things
    it reaffirms CAFRA was needed
    and it frightens the hell out of me

now suddenly I'm not so worried about the fate of 10 or any other number of contested 1933 Double Eagles. imageimage

How do they get away with this, especially at this level? This is not Podunk County Traffic Court!

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you were Izzy...place yourself in the timeframe.....would you tell the overbearing SS agents how you got the coins?????? There was no theft!
  • Options
    I read the entire response and summarized my thoughts above. But must further comment on the misquote by the government. I hope someone spends a weekend in jail over that little trick
  • Options
    DeepCoinDeepCoin Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭
    As is often attributed to Sherlock Holmes, "The game is afoot!"

IMHO and I am NOT a lawyer, the Mint attorneys overstated their position and thus refused to respond as required by law. I am NOT surprised by this, knowing the participants on the Mint side. FYI, I do not believe there was any outside influence from Treasury to that decision. The arrogance regarding the government and the treatment of the 1933 DEs has been consistent over the year and also NOT influenced by the resident in the White House or his party. The Mint is the sleepy backwater of government and the lawyers there rarely deal in complex sophisticated cases.
    Retired United States Mint guy, now working on an Everyman Type Set.
  • Options
    coinhackcoinhack Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Game
    Set
    Match >>

as it should be

mark >>

+1

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji