Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

British NEWPS

Well at least I got the one I really wanted, this was the one coin I really , really "needed", and they only seem to come up for sale every 5-10 years. Although some of the early proofs and Crown size pieces went for big money by the time mine came up the prices were very reasonable.

1812 Bank of England Token, NGC PF63. Rated Extremely Rare in ESC, seemingly around 20 or so surviving specimens but they sure don't come up for sale very often. There are two reverses known, this one the most common, and another with Nine Pence (rather than 9 d) as the value.

Geo. III had been on the throne since 1860 but there had only been a mintage of regular silver in 1787 with shillings and sixpence. They had of course used counter stamped coinage but usually only in 1/2 Crown and Crown size, and merchant tokens had been used for some years primarily in copper but also some issues in silver. With the wars with France bleeding the government of silver the Crown finally permitted the Bank of England to issue tokens authorizing 9 pence, 18 pence (1 Shilling 6 pence) and 36 pence (3 Shillings). The 18 and 36 pence tokens were issued on both proof and mint state beginning in 1811, but the 9 pence was only struck in proof for trials in 1812, it never had a regular issue.

And since I got that one well under my max I was able to bid on two Vicky pieces I was interested in, both of which I thought went very reasonably.

1860 Farthing, NGC PF 65 BN, Young Head rated R19 by Freeman, 2-5 known.

Lastly I was able to get a proof Penny for a reasonable price. Even though this is the most common date for the proof of record pennies they have been going for $3k and up for the past several years, and honestly I just couldn't see the value in that.

1868 Penny, PCGS PF 65 RD, Young Head, rated R17 by Freeman, less than 50 known.

Comments

• Options
    EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice. Congrats. I really like the 1860 Vicky.

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,805 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats... wonderful additions

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice, Jeff. Do you sense a softening in British pricing levels?
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,223 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They're all nice, but thaat farthing is great.

<< <i>Do you sense a softening in British pricing levels? >>

Not until I put some up for sale. image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    nicholasz219nicholasz219 Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭
    That is a strong group of coins, JCM. I dinked around the Heritage Auction site when the coins for CICF were first posted, especially in the British copper. The problem was that from what I could see, I would not be able to pick up anything really stellar like the stuff you got because it is so far out of my price range. (If I spent $1000 on a coin and the fiance found out about it at this point, I would go very yeti on you guys...forever, I think.) I am curious to see what some of the more common stuff goes for. That stuff falls into the other bracket of non-purchaseable for me. Because it is more common, it falls on the cheaper end, around $20-40 per coin, but then add the juice and shipping and now I'm paying nearly the cost of the coin itself again in buyer's fees and shipping. No thanks.
  • Options
    With all of that being said, however, I also understand that this material is mostly only going to come to market through auctions like this, so for coins like you are purchasing JCM, then it is kind of your only venue. I am glad you were successful. image
  • Options
    Nick - Auctions are not geared for $20-40 coins. Their cost of marketing makes this less attractive from a cost/benefit standpoint. You may find such coins in a weekly auction yet you do have the same shipping/BP to deal with. Sounds like Ebay or shows are a better venue as the supply is very broad. The nice thing about the hobby is that there are areas for all of us to play in, regardless of budget. I started with $10 coins 8 years ago, and with experience, ramped up. This form camaraderie has helped fine tune my tastes and budgeting considerations.

Seeing the exceptional collections and insights and in particular the superb Crown/Taler posts (JamminJ, EVP, worldcoinguy and others) have greatly inspired me. I found myself buying scarcer and more qualitative coins over time, spending more on far fewer coins, selling the more common types. Its natural and contagious. Some gain comfort in spreading $200 over $20 coins, I prefer owning one better $200 coin. I also have more fear and less trust in the stock market than physical assets so don't mind parking funds in these round things. Knowledge, research and patience are key like any investment.

While I know nothing about JCM's pickups or their relative price, I just know these are quite attractive and I wholeheartedly appreciate him sharing these with us trough the posts and customized websites he has built.

Cheers,
    Z
  • Options
    YorkshiremanYorkshireman Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>They're all nice, but that farthing is great. >>

I agree with Lord M.
    I love that farthing!
    Yorkshireman,Obsessed collector of round, metallic pieces of history.Hunting for Latin American colonial portraits plus cool US & British coins.
  • Options
    EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    JCM's GB pursuits tend to be 19th century minor proofs. He has the knowledge to ascertain rarity and quality, so I expect that he will do quite well and have much enjoyment. The concern I have, although I have never let this concern get in the way of my personal collecting, is that he is choosing the road less traveled. Just like Morgan dollars are more expensive than Seated Dollars, even though much more common, he may find his proofs to be too scarce to engender enough pricing pressure. In the US Trade Dollar world, it is often said that even for the rarest die state of the rarest die marriage, there are more extant specimens than TD series collectors -- and most series collectors don't care enough about that degree of minutiae.

Still, I applaud JCM for traveling on the road less traveled. And, picking up pretty little buttons along the way.

EVP

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,548 ✭✭✭✭✭
    nice scores
  • Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,270 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, Jeff, very nice bits... I remember the "good ole days" where nice copper bits would languish on the SNC (Spink) monthly sales. Even picking up bits such as the 1863 or 1869 farthings at 200 or so pounds/quid.
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    Z,

Yes I think what you said is entirely correct. I was not trying to come off sounding like a jerk, so sorry if I did. I always am optimistic to find overlooked more common coins in better condition than I can usually afford that might slip by more advanced collectors who already own similar examples in these auctions. This obviously applies more towards the weekly auctions than the name sales at large shows like CICF.

JCM bought wonderful pieces and I also appreciate seeing them and living vicariously. It gives me something to work towards. Already from the example of folks here I have made better purchases and strengthened both the number and quality of the coins in my collection.
  • Options
    Nick - no worries, I simply didn't want to shift the thread away from JCM's acquisitions. We all aspire for more, and there is always a budgetary constraint regardless of one's focus or financial means. There are collectors I have met who own phenomenal pieces that one can dream of. The information age allows sharing collections, auction info and helping us all take our collection in the direction that appeals to us. Cheers, Z
  • Options
    dizzleccdizzlecc Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭
    Goods wins, I like the originality and the eye appeal of the coins. You know your stuff.
  • Options
    HussuloHussulo Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,715 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice coins! I love British coins! image
  • Options
    marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    < They're all nice, but that farthing is great. >>

I agree with Lord M.
    I love that farthing!

me too! YUMMY!!!