Home U.S. Coin Forum

AAFES POGS More Scare than MPC's

Although some consideration was given to using either Series 691 or 701 MPCs during the Gulf Crisis in 1991 and 1992, this action was not undertaken. After the events of September
11, 2001, military forces were again employed extensively in the Middle East and in adjacent
areas and the use of auxiliary money was again proposed. Although the dollar-denominated paper money in circulation there for USA Forces continues to be normal U. S. Federal Reserve notes, transporting coins to many areas proved to be cumbersome, and a substitute for these was clearly desirable.
The AAFES (Army and Air Force Exchange Service) has a long history of providing
incidental services to U. S. military personnel. The organization itself goes back to 1895, and over the years it has been responsible to maintaining post exchanges (PX) and base exchanges (BX) as well as providing a variety of other services to military personnel both within the United States and abroad. AAFES facilities are found in all nations in which U. S. military personnel are stationed including Iraq and Afghanistan as well as nearby countries such as Kuwait and Qatar.
Rather than using fractional notes or metallic tokens the AAFES chose to issue POGs, a type of token printed on thin plastic. This term can also be used to describe a children's game
that to some extent resembles marbles. At one time milk bottles often came with circular tops made of cardboard printed on one side. In Hawaii a local firm, the Ha1eakala Dairy, also packaged tropical drinks in this fashion. Its most popular brand was a mixture of passionfruit, orange,• and guava juices that was often called POG. Soon this term was transferred to the printed caps that sealed bottles of this beverage. Over a span of several decades both the collecting of these bottle caps and their use in a game became popular with many children in a wide variety of locales. By the 1990s many POGs were printed and marketed independent of
any containers in a fashion quite similar to sports cards. By then most POGs were printed on
thin plastic rather than cardboard.
The first issue of POGs that were used for monetary purposes• were released at AAFES facilities in Afghanistan at the beginning of 2002. They were valid at all AAFES facilities, but they do not have legal tender status and are issues of the AAFES and not of the Department of Defense itself (as were MPCs). Unlike MPCs all POGs issued to date have remained valid, and thus far there have been no C-days. Also unlike MPCs personnel are not paid in POGs. Thus
they function as light-weight small-change tokens, and they are used to make small purchases and to provide change at AAFES facilities. Cash cards can also be used at many PX and BX facilities, but these are not as convenient as are POGs for making small purchases.
These POGs are 40 mm in diameter and come in denominations of 5, 10, and 25 cents. They are made of polystyrene plastic, which is hard and fairly brittle. This material is quite different from the polymer plastic that it currently being used to print the notes of Australia and
several other countries. Polymer plastic is noted for its toughness and resistancto tearing. If sharply bent, however, POGs will break rather than develop folds. The POGs are 0.58 mm thick,
and thus 44 ofthem form a one-inch stack. Typically they weigh about 0.80 gram each, and thus about 570 ofthem will weigh one pound. Some minor variations in weight, however, have been noted from series to series. In the lOth, 11th, and 13th issues of these items (released in 2007-09) there are several POGs that feature holograms, and these weigh 1.35 grams each, or substantially more than any other POGs. They are also significantly thicker than the other POGs. POGs are normally packaged in trays of 400. (for the 25 cent POGs) or 500 (for the two lower denominations). Thus far all POGs have been produced at the AAFES facility in Dallas.

The use of these POGS is ongoing overseas in The AAFES Facilities areas like IRAQ , AFGHANistan ,QATAR, Bahrain,Saudi Arabia. Once you return to the states and spend the POGS at an Aafes facility, They are destroyed and not redistirbuted.

If you would like more info on the POGS or purchase a few , PM me and we can work out the details.
Army Strong
~ T E A M = Together Everyone Achieves More ~

Comments

• keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    you would like more info on the POGS or purchase a few , PM me and we can work out the details.

should be at the BST if you're trying to buy or sell these.
  • FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭
    Is anyone interested in POGS? POGS are a childs thing. Please take your POGS Sales elsewhere.

Thank you.
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "More Scare than MPC's"?

Oh, I dunno. Somebody gave me some POGs once, and I didn't find them especially frightening.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>"More Scare than MPC's"?

Oh, I dunno. Somebody gave me some POGs once, and I didn't find them especially frightening. >>

Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • coffeycecoffeyce Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭
    I still got like 20 or so of these in storage from when I was in Afghanistan 2004-2005 not sure their shape anymore.

chris
  • armysgtiarmysgti Posts: 77 ✭✭
    POGS POGS AND More POGS ... I can sense a lot of uncertainty regarding AAFES Gift Certificates( Coined POGS ) and the 1980's Game that the Kids played with POGS and Slammers , which oh by the way, has no numismatic value...

In response to * coffeyce *

appreciate your post. I would be interested in the POGS if you might like to part with them. You can PM me at armysgti@yahoo.com

Thanks again ....
    Army Strong
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Armysgti- hope you don't mind my poking gentle fun at the typo in your title.

(I wouldn't want you mad at me, 'cause I'm quite certain an army guy like you could beat up a pudgy, middle aged coin nerd like myself with ridiculous ease.) image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The company I used to work for made POGS with the company logo on them and were given out by managers to employees as recognition for special efforts or a job well done. Then the POGS could be redeemed for items such as movie tickets, coffee mugs etc.. Often a manager would inscribe the back with a thank you note. Many employees chose to keep them as mementos. I still have some.....Cheers, RickO

<< <i>Armysgti- hope you don't mind my poking gentle fun at the typo in your title.

(I wouldn't want you mad at me, 'cause I'm quite certain an army guy like you could beat up a pudgy, middle aged coin nerd like myself with ridiculous ease.) image >>

Worrry None my Lord ! ... I find your Jokes ..CUTE ... almost as cute as you ..... * smile * No Harm , no Foul ... I even had to read it twice to catch the typo ..... lol
    Army Strong
  • PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,880 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't remember any pogs but I do remember MPC,

I remember the class 6 also!!!
    Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• DDRDDR Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I used to have a ton of POGS from the AAFES in Baghdad. I think I tossed them all. Are they really worth something to collectors?

DAVID >> AAFES POGS/MPC's >> These are still available . Iraq, Afghanistan,Jordan, Bahrain, Kuwait and other areas as well.

Army Strong
  • CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

Getting close to lunchtime.

PEZ would be welcome.

• sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭✭✭

Numismatically, I think that these fall under the broad classification of tokens, although they are similar to MPCs as far as their use.

They have an interesting background and story and were used as money. There are many different designs and they are inexpensive. Perhaps they will gradually increase in popularity.

Is there a good reference or website for these?

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
  • OuthaulOuthaul Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭✭✭

• OuthaulOuthaul Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here are a few photos ...

Army Strong

Army Strong

After 6 years, a new Printing has been released. This would be the 16th Printing .. 2017 AAFES Pogs. Pictures posted. More to follow.

Army Strong
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,794 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you for sharing . I miss my military years more than I miss my exes.
    Though, I don’t remember these POGS from the ‘70s-‘80s. (During my enlistment)
    I would have likely collected them, too.

Respectfully yours,

Uncle Sam’s.

• BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭✭✭

I initially thought that this was the wrong forum for the post, but after reading further I found this quite interesting.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon

@TwoSides2aCoin said:
    Thank you for sharing . I miss my military years more than I miss my exes.
    Though, I don’t remember these POGS from the ‘70s-‘80s. (During my enlistment)
    I would have likely collected them, too.

Respectfully yours,

Uncle Sam’s.

I hear ya about not missing the Ex Wifes.... I did collect a couple of those, however, my POGS get more attention then they do. These Pogs were created in 2001 and have been in use since then in most of our contingency areas. Currently there are 497 different POGS , up until 2011.. I have just been told that AAFES due to our continued service in KUWAIT, AFGHANISTAN and Iraq have printed another series. dated 2017. If you are seriously interested in getting a few, send me a PM and I am sure we could work that out ... GO Ordnance !

Tracy
    US ARMY Ret.

Army Strong
  • DCWDCW Posts: 6,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

These things being cardboard and all, I cant imagine them surviving in any respectable numbers. I'm sure they were issued in the hundreds of thousands, though. I, myself, probably have a handful in my Army box from my own years of service. Not as momentos; I probably just forgot to use them at the PX.
    I collect military tokens, but these just never did anything for me. And I have a personal recollection of using them, so I dont understand my lack of interest.
    Perhaps, simply because they are called "pogs."

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

Well, be it as it may, this form of MPC is bringing in some serious dollars on Ebay. 497 Different Pogs make up the current set( not Including 2017 ) If you ever do decide to dig out that A Bag and decide you want to part with what POGS you may have, please send me a PM .. Appreciate the read.
    Tracy

Army Strong
  • KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

I used to work right next to Haleakala Dairy. They were selling POG's by the bag full. Sent a bag of them to my nephews in Florida in the '90s. still around huh. Who knew.

• FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭

I once had a Big Frog when I was a Kid. Dont know how long I had it - an hour, a day, a couple hours ? Can't remember.

Anyway when I would run my finger on it's back, it would arch up and let out a wierd sound.

Frogs dont stay around like a POG. Else I'd still have it. But the memory is still with me.......... well sort of.

To all the wonderful folks that Posted here about loose change and AAFES POGS. If you have some , I would luv to chat with you. armysgti@yahoo dot com .. Thanks ....

Tracy
    US ARMY Ret

Army Strong
  • 1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• This is my first time using this site. I retired from the Army serving 20+ years. I’ve enjoy collecting military money such as Allied Military Currency (AMC), Military Payment Certificates (MPC), Chits and coin tokens from NCO and Officers Clubs and of course POGS. I believed as time goes by, these items will all go up in price. A lot depends on condition and rarity of the items. For instance: when the Civil War ended, the currency of the Confederacy was worthless. Now, they’re worth a lot of money. The same goes for AMC’s and MPC’s. Military personnel in Vietnam never thought MPC’s will be worth anything. For POGS, the vast majority of them in time will be destroyed or tossed away. People who collected and keep them in great condition will pass them down to their children and grand children as heirlooms. By then, POGS will be worth much more than today.

Enough about my thoughts concerning POGS. I have all of the AAFES POGS series 1 through 15 except for one POG. The one POG I am missing is in Series/Printing 6 (10 cent POG) known as “6M101”. The front shows a soldier with sunglasses walking towards you with an M16. It also has the caption “Operation Enduring Freedom” on it. If anyone can help me out, I would truely appreciate it. On the other hand, I have a lot of extra pogs in which I don’t mind helping other POG collectors complete their sets.

Several people have mentioned of a new Series 16. I don’t have any of these. I want to know how who can help me in obtaining these.
    Thanks.

• This is the one pog I am missing.

Abnbuddy,
    Still looking for the 6M10 ?? is that with or with out the OEF over stamp ? This is by far the hardest and most sought after pog and goes for big dollars on the secondary market. Would you be willing to part with some of the older ND(No Date ) Pogs >??

Army Strong

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file