Home Precious Metals
Options

Someone(s) actually did back up the truck...

cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,621 ✭✭✭✭✭
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-04-07/armed-robbers-steal-8-5-million-of-gold-from-mcewen-mexico-mine?cmpid=yhoo

Armed robbers walked away with an estimated 7,000 ounces of gold, worth $8.5 million at current prices, from a Canadian-owned mine in western Mexico.

The gold was contained in an estimated 900 kilograms (1,984 pounds) of gold-bearing concentrate, a partially processed form of ore, stolen from the refinery at McEwen Mining Inc.’s El Gallo 1 mine in Mexico’s Sinaloa state on Tuesday, the company said in a statement. While McEwen is insured, its policy won’t be enough to cover the entire expected loss, the Toronto-based miner said

Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

Comments

• Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was fearful that stuff like this would eventually happen with the Mexican drug cartels, etc. Lots of little silver and gold miners down there. No longer one of the safer political jurisdictions. And it's only getting to get worse around the world with governments looking to add royalty taxes to miners (or just take over the mines) and the criminals trying to take what they can. Just another "risk" not considered in the "all-in self sustaining" miner's published costs.
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sick !!! :-(
    Timbuk3
  • Options
    rawteam1rawteam1 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭
    test...
    keceph `anah
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,842 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Remember the Amalgam ! image er… Alamo ?
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I assume they have a deal with a refinery somewhere.... so, partial recovery, still a nice profit for little work. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,550 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stories like this make me wonder why that much product was being kept on hand. Setup?
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,987 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Stories like this make me wonder why that much product was being kept on hand. Setup? >>

From a process POV that amount was possibly small potatoes.