Home U.S. Coin Forum

Discussion About a Kennedy Half on 'Better Call Saul' Tonight...

Anyone catch it? Perhaps a tech-savvy member can link the clip.

I'd explain the scene but I'd hate to spoil it for anyone who isn't caught up on the show.
Lurking and learning since 2010. Full-time professional numismatist.

Comments

• lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does Netflix have the show yet?

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • BustHalfBrianBustHalfBrian Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Does Netflix have the show yet? >>

Not yet, but I bet it will be available soon after the end of Season 1 (the season finale is next week).

It's a great show, especially if you're a fan of Breaking Bad - 'Saul' is the spin-off.

Edit for a correction; tonight was the season finale. You can expect to see the first season on Netflix within the next couple of months.
  • KyleKyle Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Haven't seen the episode yet, but I love the show.
    Successful BST Transactions With: tonedase, streg2, airplanenut, coindeuce, vibr0nic, natetrook, Shrub68, golden, Lakesammman, drddm, Ilikecolor, CoinJunkie, wondercoin, lablover
  • cecropiamothcecropiamoth Posts: 959 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They did make one error in the clip. Odenkirk (Saul, Mcgill, whatever) mentioned that after the assasination the mint switched from a 'Lincoln' half dollar to a 'Kennedy' half dollar. Anybody else catch that?

Jeff
  • 19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,470 ✭✭✭✭
    Damn. That means I gotta go watch the recording of Better Call Saul.

No problem though...........S'all Good Man! S'all Good.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!

<< <i>They did make one error in the clip. Odenkirk (Saul, Mcgill, whatever) mentioned that after the assasination the mint switched from a 'Lincoln' half dollar to a 'Kennedy' half dollar. Anybody else catch that?

Jeff >>

Yes, I noticed that. How do you get Lincoln confused with Franklin? They lived 100 years apart.
  • cecropiamothcecropiamoth Posts: 959 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I won't spoil this anymore beyond here, but let me say I thought it was cool they used a 1964!!!

Jeff
  • ShortgapbobShortgapbob Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭
    I think the "Lincoln" Half Dollar mention was an intentional mistake by the characters to make them sound less intelligent as part of the set up in the scene.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." -- Aristotle

For a large selection of U.S. Coins & Currency, visit The Reeded Edge's online webstore at the link below.

The Reeded Edge
  • DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,175 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I think the "Lincoln" Half Dollar mention was an intentional mistake by the characters to make them sound less intelligent as part of the set up in the scene. >>

I agree.

I watched the finale and it was worth it.
    "Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Never heard of "Better Call Saul." What kind of show is it?
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do not watch much TV and do not follow 'series'.....so will miss this.... was it supposed to be a 'special' Kennedy half?? (Some one can PM me so as not to spoil the show for those that follow it.) Cheers, RickO
  • planetsteveplanetsteve Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭✭
    IMO it's a comedy/drama that, like Breaking Bad, will tell the story of a man who finds himself at midlife a pathetic nobody, then transforms himself -- by making some interesting moral choices -- to become the king of a profession at the edges of society.

Good comment about the "Lincoln half dollar" gaffe being part of the setup. (I yelled at the TV!)
  • planetsteveplanetsteve Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭✭
    And Ricko, it was purported to be an impossible "error" coin.

That was a fine-looking 64, too.
  • braddickbraddick Posts: 22,994 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>They did make one error in the clip. Odenkirk (Saul, Mcgill, whatever) mentioned that after the assasination the mint switched from a 'Lincoln' half dollar to a 'Kennedy' half dollar. Anybody else catch that?

Jeff >>

Yes, I noticed that. How do you get Lincoln confused with Franklin? They lived 100 years apart. >>

Wasn't Franklin's secretary named Lincoln and Lincoln's secretary named Franklin?

peacockcoins

• lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,885 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lincoln's secretaries were John G. Nicolay and John Hay. (And not Kennedy, though Kennedy did have a secretary named Lincoln.)
    Lance.

<< <i>Lincoln's secretaries were John G. Nicolay and John Hay. (And not Kennedy, though Kennedy did have a secretary named Lincoln.)
    Lance. >>

Yeah, if I recall correctly it was actually the police chief whose name was Kennedy.
  • braddickbraddick Posts: 22,994 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Lincoln's secretaries were John G. Nicolay and John Hay. (And not Kennedy, though Kennedy did have a secretary named Lincoln.)
    Lance. >>

Yeah, if I recall correctly it was actually the police chief whose name was Kennedy. >>

So both of President Lincoln's secretaries were named, John.
    That is also President Kennedy's first name.

peacockcoins

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great show and a big fan but the season finale left me wanting.

Mark
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......

<< <i>I think the "Lincoln" Half Dollar mention was an intentional mistake by the characters to make them sound less intelligent as part of the set up in the scene. >>

I think it was more of a test of the "marks" knowledge level. If the "mark" stated that Franklin was on the Half and not Lincoln, then they would know that this fellow wasn't going to be fooled by their scam.

I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!

<< <i>Great show and a big fan but the season finale left me wanting.

Mark >>

As they are "designed" to do.

The name is LEE!
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,298 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Never heard of "Better Call Saul." What kind of show is it? >>

It's a good TV show on AMC. It's a prequel to Breaking Bad.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• GManGMan Posts: 790 ✭✭
    I too am a Better Call Saul fan. The half dollar con was great stuff. I too wondered about the Lincoln half, but as someone previously stated it was probably just part of the con. Great show. If you like Breaking Bad, it's a must watch.
    GMan
  • illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    <============= There's a Lincoln Half... even though it's really an Illinois Half image

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Great show and a big fan but the season finale left me wanting.

Mark >>

As they are "designed" to do. >>

Nope. Not what I meant. This was actually lacking. The first 9 episodes where stellar to very good. The finale sucked. I "wanted" it to be better.

Chuck needs to die for one thing.

Mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Watched it on demand last night. Can see the progression.......
    Should be a good season two. Isn't Mike great ?
  • astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

OLD THREAD ALERT

Thanks to Netflix I just watched the Better Call Saul episode (S1, E10) with the Kennedy half dollar scam. I love the reference to the Lincoln half dollar!

Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • 3keepSECRETif2rDEAD3keepSECRETif2rDEAD Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hope @BustHalfBrian is doing well at life...he always seemed like a knowledgeable kid with a good head on his shoulders. If you see this hope you are doing Well buddy ;)

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I still do not watch much TV... and certainly would not have the time or interest to watch a series...Too much fun doing real stuff.... ;) Cheers, RickO

• ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just finished catching up season four a few days ago. Great show!

• CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,549 ✭✭✭✭✭

Old thread bump (repeated I see).

My son gave me access to Netflix and, being a Breaking Bad fan, I finally got to watch Better Call Saul at last. OMG, it is so good. I’ve been binge watching and am in the middle of season 3.

When I earlier saw the Kennedy half episode in S1, I wondered if it had been talked about here and see it has. If you liked the awesome BB show, you simply must watch BCS!

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • MaineJimMaineJim Posts: 739 ✭✭✭✭✭

I searched for a thread on clipped Kennedy's and this old thread came up! Great show!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNcyuVr20hM&amp;ab_channel=Slippin%27Jimmy

Jim

• yspsalesyspsales Posts: 2,096 ✭✭✭✭✭

Another show I have never watched.

That was funny!

BST: KindaNewish (3/21/21), WQuarterFreddie (3/30/21), Meltdown (4/6/21), DBSTrader2 (5/5/21) AKA- unclemonkey on Blow Out

• LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

thanks for reminder. i think i haven't watched all of season 6 yet.> @Catbert said:

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

@Catbert said:
    Old thread bump (repeated I see).

My son gave me access to Netflix and, being a Breaking Bad fan, I finally got to watch Better Call Saul at last. OMG, it is so good. I’ve been binge watching and am in the middle of season 3.

When I earlier saw the Kennedy half episode in S1, I wondered if it had been talked about here and see it has. If you liked the awesome BB show, you simply must watch BCS!

if you really enjoy it that much, there are i think 1 or 2 other spin-offs from BB besides Saul.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,549 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, since I made that post, I don't think there were additional seasons available so I need to revisit the latest. I think the last episode I saw was when he self immolated from the private law firm and he got into legal trouble due to his brother. It was a great season. Now I wonder how Saul has devolved further. Have to watch to find out Lance!

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • BarberianBarberian Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Shortgapbob said:
    I think the "Lincoln" Half Dollar mention was an intentional mistake by the characters to make them sound less intelligent as part of the set up in the scene.

It's an easy way to assess the coin knowledge of your mark.

3 rim nicks away from Good

s06e04

ok. season 6 done.

i think gus taking out lalo mano e mano was the best in all the seasons for me. i do love actors that make the "bad" guys seem likable but they ALWAYS do something horrible to reveal whom they choose to be or were cultivated to be. (heisenberg was the epitome of this in BB)

spoiler below (and probably above)

saul getting 86 years when he had 7 is unparalled irony considering how many times his shenanigans got others off of a lot of time they never would have otherwise.

would have liked to have seen nacho be able to take out someone of significance in lieu of "biting the bullet" himself considering he absolutely abhorred being stuck in the middle of all those psychos.

overall the later seasons get a bit tricky and it took me a while to catch on (at first it just confused me) that they jumped pre, during AND post of BB with some scenes. you REALLY need to know BB to follow and i thought i did but not as much as i thought.

i THINK every "bad" guy ultimately ended up taking a dirt nap. maybe a couple of the semi-bad guys managed to avoid this fate.

WOW

just saw howard in an episode of friends s05e03 !

playing a male nurse and was apparently in desert storm. (the character, not IRL)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file