Home Precious Metals
Options

Dealers with reluctant sellers

I imagine this is an almost universal reaction when largely elderly people go into a coin or bullion shop to sell their gold jewelry. One I was in this week said a lady came in and was literally crying as they dismantled the jewelry for the metals. The better shops will return the gems to the customer rather than offer them less than they are worth, since most are not gem experts. How many sellers do you suppose have real regret as they are selling the items or afterwards?

Comments

• Options
    biosolarbiosolar Posts: 164 ✭✭
    I find it would be CRUEL to destroy someones jewelry in front of them, at the very least rude. They usually aren't selling it because they want to, but need too. If giving them back the stones, they will most likely end

up getting lost or when inherited not thought to be real.

If the piece is wearable, I offer them more than scrap and include the weight of the stones in the total weight. The percentage over 75-80% of melt depends on how resalable I think it is.

Nick
  • Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I imagine this is an almost universal reaction when largely elderly people go into a coin or bullion shop to sell their gold jewelry. One I was in this week said a lady came in and was literally crying as they dismantled the jewelry for the metals. The better shops will return the gems to the customer rather than offer them less than they are worth, since most are not gem experts. How many sellers do you suppose have real regret as they are selling the items or afterwards? >>

Well there are a lot of people in the world that don't understand that all jewelry is garbage to begin with so it's painful when they realize it all at once . They don't want to believe that they have been so dumb in what they spent on it . To prove to the seller that you aren't cheating them you have to bring that hammer down on the stone and smash it real good. Otherwise they will be convinced you are going to flip that .04 carat zirco-diamelle for a stack of cash as soon as they leave.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For most people, jewelry usually has more sentimental value than actual worth. That being said, most people do not realize that even real gems are not as valuable as advertised.....there are, of course, exceptions - those being famous gems of unique proportions or rarity. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    piecesofmepiecesofme Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭
    I find it would be CRUEL to destroy someones jewelry in front of them, at the very least rude

Unfortunately, I find most dealers to be exactly what you describe them as, cruel and rude. Maybe it comes from having to deal with the public, which has their fair share of the same. Misery loves company.
    To forgive is to free a prisoner, and to discover that prisoner was you.