Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Double Eagle help in Texas

BodinBodin Posts: 997 ✭✭✭
As I posted a while back, I'm working on a film where a '33 $20 is involved. I cannot reveal any other details publicly, but I just spoke to the director/writer today and as it turns out she sent me a picture of the replica '33 they intend to use for the film. Needless to say.....it won't work.

SO, my idea is to use a genuine double eagle and just not show the date. I could buy one and crack it out and use it for filming, but I don't collect that series and don't want to tie my money up. I could try to sell raw, but buying raw and selling raw is too risky.

This brings me to ask if anyone in the Austin, Texas area would be willing to donate their double eagle and we can work out something for you to hold in good faith while I have your coin, OR maybe you are on set while we film all the coin's scenes. I, of course, will be there to help. I'm trying to talk the director into special thanks credits or advertising of business at the end of the film as means of gratitude.

Anyway, Private Message me if you or know anyone that might be interested.

Comments

• Options
    yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I believe what you are asking is to borrow a raw St. Gaudens $20 that matches the 1933 design except for the date.
    Won't most people have them in slabs?
    Maybe you can find a dealer who has a raw one which you can rent.
    I am not sure how you are going to get around the issue of doing a close up on the date - it seems like that will be wanted in at least one shot.
    Maybe splice in a still image of one of the real 1933s?
  • Options
    3keepSECRETif2rDEAD3keepSECRETif2rDEAD Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dude...if I owned one I would jump at this opportunity...i would have no problems at all lending it to you...hopefully somebody here does. For me, it would be a low risk deal cause I know your name and I know what you look like image

...again, I don't own one or else....forgetaboutit image
  • Options

<< <i>I believe what you are asking is to borrow a raw St. Gaudens $20 that matches the 1933 design except for the date.
    Won't most people have them in slabs?
    Maybe you can find a dealer who has a raw one which you can rent.
    I am not sure how you are going to get around the issue of doing a close up on the date - it seems like that will be wanted in at least one shot.
    Maybe splice in a still image of one of the real 1933s? >>

The DP and the director will plan out what is seen of the coin. I don't think the date needs to seen. Just wide shots and the luster has to show the coin is GENUINE and the date can be cheated out of the shot.

In case you missed it, HERE is where I started talking about the project.
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,298 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have carr make you one....he makes lot of reproductions without stamping copy on them image

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    ...let me also add this...just like a bet in Las Vegas...whomever lends the OP a coin that's needed, I will personally pay $1,000 if they get burned on the deal, which I am confident they will not.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting proposition.... why not try a coin shop there... and they would have their shop appear in credits... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,209 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You need Rent-a-Coin.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options

<< <i>Interesting proposition.... why not try a coin shop there... and they would have their shop appear in credits... Cheers, RickO >>

I agree. Solutions are usually local, not a specialized forum designed to help collectors and dealers. A poor woman came up to me at a Sunday coin show in a part of the state I never get to wanting money for the bus the next day. I told her, as much as I try to be sympathetic, for her to get help locally.
  • Options
    themasterthemaster Posts: 676 ✭✭✭
    Bodin,

I just left a message for a local coin shop owner to call me back. I helped him get his shop started about 8 years ago. I think that he will be interested. I will send you a PM when he calls me back.

Have a Great Day!
    Louis
    "If you would know the value of money, go and try to borrow some." Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Get a box of imitation gold coin wrapped chocolates.

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options

<< <i>Get a box of imitation gold coin wrapped chocolates.

image >>

I only have Kennedys. (it's funny, I got them for Valentines Day and when my wife ordered them, she actually asked them what year was on the coin! KEEPER)
  • Options
    BUMP 1x
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,561 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Get a circ 1923 and digitize the third digit.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    ...bump
  • Options
    themasterthemaster Posts: 676 ✭✭✭
    Bodin,

PM sent with info. A local BM in Austin is willing to provide a Double Eagle. I just spoke with the owner on the phone and he is expecting your call.

Have a Great Day!
    Louis
    "If you would know the value of money, go and try to borrow some." Benjamin Franklin

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file