Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

NEWFs

keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,455 ✭✭✭✭✭
Ahhhh, and what the heck are NEWFs? image
Maybe I am "coining" a new term here?
I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong or if there is already a better established term in use.

If NEWPs are New Purchases then I figure NEWFs would be New Free items...Newly Acquired Freebies. image

So here is the story. No pics yet. Next week for that hopefully.
Thirteen years ago, my then Father-In-Law asked me to review his small coin collection that had been handed down to him by his parents etc.
I was of course happy to do this and interested in what might be in it. I created an Excel Spreadsheet for each denomination, typed up the
year, type, variety, approximate raw grade and approximate full retail value on that date. I took all of the US Coins out of their various
tissue paper tombs and envelopes and put them in carefully labeled 2x2s. I then gave everything back to him and went through what he had.

Fast forward to Monday, I got a call from my now Ex-Father-In-Law. He tells me that I have a lot more passion for coins than his three children
and wants to give me everything he has, including a bunch of foreign coins that I have never even closely looked at. He also is aware that I am
trying to spur interest in my kids, his grand kids, two of the eight that he has. I already had plans to take my kiddos to his place on Tuesday
morning to visit for a couple of hours so he said he would give the coins to me then.

About 18 hours later, the coins were passed on to me and my kids. He had the dated and printed out spreadsheets along with all of the coins in
2x2s etc. A lot of foreign coins in different envelopes by country, some of which go back to the 1800s. This will be a fun adventure to go through
again. One of the reasons it will be so much fun is because I hardly remember viewing the coins the first time, let alone cataloging them.

Ahhh, so what is in this small pile of coins that has been handed down a few generations? Well, my grading skills are much much better today than they
were thirteen years ago so I will leave most of those details out for now and I will have to attack that all over again. Here are a few details
and I hope to photograph the highlights next week when I have more time. image

Indian Head Cents
1874, 1890

2-Cents
1864, 1864, 1865, 1865, 1865,1867, 1867, 1868, 1868

Shield Nickels
1883, 1883

Capped Bust Half Dimes
1830, 1832

Capped Bust Dimes
1827, 1835, 1835, 1837

Barber Dime

Capped Bust Quarters
1828 25c Over 50c

Washington Quarter

Capped Bust Half Dollars
1812 2 over 1 Small 8 is in my notes but I need to verify this.
1825, 1830, 1831, 1837, 1838

Liberty Seated Half Dollar 1874

Walking Liberty Half Dollar 1942

Franklin Half Dollar 1960-D

Kennedy Half Dollar 1964

There are some nice F, VF, EF Capped Bust coins in here which is pretty darn cool. It will be worth it to have a few of these slabbed at some point.
None of the coins have ever been cleaned as far as I can tell. Most are dark with fairly even wear and very few hits...although one CBH was mostly
white and higher grade. I will hopefully update this thread next week.
"If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:

Comments

• Options
    lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭
    here i thought NEWF's were

New-coin....Elude....Wifey's....Finding-out

way kool turn of events there and end result
    congrats on the "NEWF's
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• Options
    DUIGUYDUIGUY Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭
    “A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly."

- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 106-43 BC
  • Options
    I can't wait to break out the camera gear for this project but I have other family in town visiting and things are just too nutty right now. Then one of my kiddos is having a sleep over with a bunch of friends this weekend. It's a fun Spring Break.....BUT what about Daddy's play time with coins? image
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is this an April fools joke. EX's don't usually give you anything!
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting bunch of NEWF's...will be a fun couple of days going through the U.S. coins and then the dark side items... Cheers, RickO
  • Options

<< <i>Is this an April fools joke. EX's don't usually give you anything! >>

No joke. The value would have to be a lot higher for this to be a joke I think. image

Yeah, RickO...I have not even looked through the dark side stuff yet but I did notice a couple of 1800s dates.
  • Options
    AngryTurtleAngryTurtle Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭
    I was looking fwd to seeing some new purchases from Newfoundland. image Or maybe those would be NEWF NEWPs.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file