Home U.S. Coin Forum

Missing Barber better date quarter

I noticed today I am missing a better date Barber quarter, picked up at a coin club meeting last week. So I'm scouring through all my boxes, pants pockets, etc., so far no luck. How do others search for missing coins? This hasn't happened to me in quite a while. I was at the library imaging it last Thursday afternoon and specifically remember having the library tech guy come over because I was getting purple lines with their scanner. They said they would look to see if someone turned it in. It is unimaginable anyone would take a Barber quarter that does not belong to them at a library.

Comments

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My only 'misplaced' coins have been at home..... one took three years to find...image Cheers, RickO
  • rheddenrhedden Posts: 6,567 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I lost a 1906-O Barber half once. It was in a desk drawer on top of some papers, and then it fell down inside the desk when I closed the drawer. I didn't find it until I moved out of that apartment. Check places in your car and house where the coin could have fallen down into a crevice of some sort...
  • lkrarecoinslkrarecoins Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭
    I've misplaced coins numerous times, and thankfully they all showed up. I found my 1917 Type 2 quarter under my car, in my gravel driveway, once. It obviously fell out of my pocket when I came back from a coin show. Another time, I found a morgan dollar, in my freezer, behind a bag of shrimp. Yes, you read that right, a bag of shrimp lol It was on top of my freezer, someone (insert wife's name here) opened the fridge door and it fell in!!!
    In Loving Memory of my Dad......My best friend, My inspiration, and My Coin Collecting Partner

"La Vostra Nonna Ha Faccia Del Fungo"
  • Sorry to hear about the missing Barber, Ouch!

Like Ricko, I've (not lost), but rather misplaced one or two coins only to find them by accident. Fun times huh, as we age (that's me, not you).

Good luck locating it.
  • Thanks for the encouragement on this. This afternoon I was finally able to search my car from top to bottom as I had gone through my coin boxes a number of times, pockets and briefcase. It had slipped under the middle seat in the flip, so will be shipping it off to grading at earliest opportunity. I never lose slabbed coins ordinarily.
  • mirabelamirabela Posts: 4,954 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was missing an Elizabeth I shilling for ... I don't even know, years, maybe five? ... it finally turned up beneath many layers of filing cabinet detritus when we moved.
    mirabela
  • ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Had a lost coin, could't find it anywhere and finally gave up.

Found it a few days later in the front seat of my wife's car and was like wtf.

I figured she came into my office and put her purse on my desk.

When she scooped up her purse she inadvertently scooped up the coin as well.

A few other times I have dropped a raw coin and it is unbelievable just how far a coin can travel to find nooks and crannies.
  • AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,515 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A couple of things come to mind...

All people that visit a library are not honest....

The library is really a lousy place to scan coins.......unless you want all the honest people to know
    that.

Try buying a cheap point and shoot camera....they really are cheap...

Hope you find it at home.

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • relicsncoinsrelicsncoins Posts: 7,833 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i was cleaning the glove box on my pickup the other day and found an ANACS small holder 1954 quarter in MS67. Must've opened a package in the truck and left it in the glove box.
    Need a Barber Half with ANACS photo certificate. If you have one for sale please PM me. Current Ebay auctions

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file