Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1878-CC GRADE BACK

coffeycecoffeyce Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭
Heres a 1878-CC I purchased from the BST. anyone care to guess what grade im hoping atleast MS62

imageimage

Comments

• Options
    DUIGUYDUIGUY Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭
    “A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly."

- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 106-43 BC
  • Options
    garrynotgarrynot Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭
    Any chance it's cleaned? Just askin
  • Options
    BustHalfBrianBustHalfBrian Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭
    Either 58 or 62. I'm leaning more towards AU.
    Lurking and learning since 2010. Full-time professional numismatist.
  • Options
    Good luck; these coins have gone up quite a bit in the last couple years and GS is high.
  • Options
    KyleKyle Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I want to say 55/58
    Successful BST Transactions With: tonedase, streg2, airplanenut, coindeuce, vibr0nic, natetrook, Shrub68, golden, Lakesammman, drddm, Ilikecolor, CoinJunkie, wondercoin, lablover
  • Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    AU58
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

That baby looks like a circulated proof. Look how squared the entire reverse it.

I'll go AU details.
  • Options
    AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭
    AU details from those photos.
    MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"
  • Options
    morgandollar1878morgandollar1878 Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A little tough to tell from the photo, but looks high end AU to me. Cant tell if it's messed with or not.
    Instagram: nomad_numismatics
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    AU58.....Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    You'll never know unless you submit it. As the PCGS ad went, the raw coin is "wishful thinking" while the certified is more or less a "sure thing".
  • Options
    I don't believe it has been cleaned I bought it from a forum member and I think they would have disclosed it if so. He said it should be 62 and 64 if a good day.

Im sending it in for grading tomorrow so ill cross my fingers. thanks for the opinions its actually my first CC.

chris
  • Options
    Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

It picked up that dirt/residue somewhere so I am hoping for MS but thinking otherwise.
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,500 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Any chance it's cleaned? Just askin >>

thats what it looks like to me. id say xf/au grade and its all just an opinion. jmo
  • Options
    csdotcsdot Posts: 678 ✭✭✭✭
    Is that tarnish or dirt? If tarnish (toning), it sure appears that someone worked to get much of it off of the fields and rest of the coin, leaving only what remains in the crevices. It looks messed with, and whatever the grade, the price could reflect the unusual appearance.
  • Options
    Just got the grade back no pictures yet. im satisfied with grade could have been worse

80060919 7080 1878-CC $1 USA MS61
  • Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats!
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    StuartStuart Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Coffeyce, Congrats on getting the MS grade. I was thinking MS-61 to 62 based on the images provided, with MS-63 upside potential.

PCGS may have deducted 1/2 point based on the toning pattern, dropping it from MS-62 to MS-61. -- As we all know toning can be a dual-edged grading sword.

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

"Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity"
  • Options
    heres the photo they uploaded now

http://www.pcgs.com/Cert/80060919.html
  • Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Based on the original photo in the first post, I would have guessed cleaned AU-58. Based on the PCGS photo, I think they were a bit conservative with MS-61. I like it as a 62 or better. Nice coin.
    Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    morgandollar1878morgandollar1878 Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats on the grade.
    Instagram: nomad_numismatics
  • Options
    ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>That baby looks like a circulated proof. Look how squared the entire reverse it.

I'll go AU details. >>

is the "mesa effect" present?
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congratulations.... certainly looks better in the PCGS picture... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    StuartStuart Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Courtesy PCGS Image Post of the OP's coin...

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

"Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity"

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file