Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Jefferson nickel collectors - You can buy Monticello

Or a least a replica.

If you're a big fan of Jefferson nickels, you can travel to Virginia, pay $20 and tour Monticello, the home Jefferson built. However, if you're super rich, you can spend millions to build your own version, even if you never plan to spend the night.

Friendly's Ice Cream co-founder Prestley Blake spent $7.5 million to painstakingly build his own Monticello in Somers, Conn. But he only used it once to throw a party for his 100th birthday.

Blake invested the money even though he knew he'd never recoup what he spent on his presidential party pad. The mansion is on the market for $6.5 million, but only to the right person. The owner is so picky, he wants to interview all potential buyers.

Comments

• Options
    MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,667 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is ridiculously cool. image
  • Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,815 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd buy it but I short on cash this week.
    The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ya, that would be cool

Steve
    Promote the Hobby
  • Options
    mirabelamirabela Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is wicked cool ...
    mirabela
  • Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,902 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't think that I would pass the interview...and that kinda of cash would be another issue.
    oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    every American should visit at least two National Historic sights, Monticello and Gettysburg.

• Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,063 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>every American should visit at least two National Historic sights, Monticello and Gettysburg.

image >>

I have visited those two and hundreds more.
  • Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭✭✭

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options
    garrynotgarrynot Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭
    I wonder if it's two stories like Monticello.
  • Options
    stevebensteveben Posts: 4,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i hear some of the front steps are missing though.
  • Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,815 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>i hear some of the front steps are missing though. >>

image Good one!!!!
    The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    OldIndianNutKaseOldIndianNutKase Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Topographic Oceans, your post brings back a great memory of Prestley Blake when he built a magnificent and authentic Dutch colonial mansion in Suffield, Conn. My house would have fit into the attic of this house. The builder even hand carved hunt scenes into the walnut wainscotting in the library. At least three years in construction. But he never lived in it. His wife was showing it off to her friends and they told her that she would be isolated from Springfield, Mass. society way out in Suffield. And she decided she did not want the house. A divorce followed and the house was sold to the CEO of a large pharmaceutical corporation.

I left Connecticut in 1974 and lost track of this house, except for the 24 car garage the new owner added.

It is special to hear that Prestley was able to build another masterpiece away from Springfield society in Somers. Somers is SW of Springfield and Suffield is SE of Springfield. I am sure it is magnificent and well worth the asking price. I hope to find the offering brochure to see the details.

OINK

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Heck of a hobby... building a replica house..... but like coins, a profit is not guaranteed....image Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you type in the address into Goggle Earth you can see the word "COPY" stamped into the roof imageimage

Seriously I watched all the construction videos last year and this was one heck of an achievement to have brought from concept to completion in 1 year.
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    GotTheBugGotTheBug Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 4, 2019 1:22PM
  • Options
    DaveWcoinsDaveWcoins Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭
    From the people I have met over the years who can afford a $6.5 million house, I don't know any who would consent to an interview to see if they are worthy of spending their own money to buy someone else's property.
    Dave Wnuck. Redbook contributor; long time PNG Member; listed on the PCGS Board of Experts. PM me with your email address to receive my e-newsletter, and visit DaveWcoins.com Find me on eBay at davewcoins
  • Options
    OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>i hear some of the front steps are missing though. >>

Actually Blake's Monticello does indeed have one less step than Jefferson's Monticello.

Steve
    Promote the Hobby
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,512 ✭✭✭✭✭
    interesting to say the least.
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>From the people I have met over the years who can afford a $6.5 million house, I don't know any who would consent to an interview to see if they are worthy of spending their own money to buy someone else's property. >>

It's not just a house to Prestley Blake as this project was like his baby...

So I can see him wanting it go to someone that apprentices it's history and not see it on Yo MTV Cribs.

Till then it actually selling or the loss are all secondary as he and his wife Helen donate far more to charity each year.

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file