Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

New Type of U.S. Numismatic Discovery

DrDarrylDrDarryl Posts: 585 ✭✭✭✭✭
U.S. numismatic discoveries have been limited to the identification of a new variety or a newly found hoard.

The discovery of an entire U.S. Mint series is virtually unheard of within U.S. numismatics.

At the recent Whitman Baltimore Coin and Currency Expo, this unheard of discovery was presented in a Maryland State Numismatic Association exhibit.

Hidden for over five decades, the long lost U.S. Mint series has been finally discovered.

The U.S. Mint at Philadelphia had manufactured this U.S. series. Several hundred specimens were struck and delivered on a periodic basis.

What is this U.S. Mint series?

Who found it?

Why was it never documented in U.S. Mint public records?

How can one get on the ground floor of this soon to be highly sought after U.S. Mint series?

What do they look like?

So many question yet to be answered.... stay tuned...same forum...same thread...image

Comments

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like the clip between the commercials for Treasure Island. My SPAM meter is pinging!
    MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"
  • Options
    yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,595 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My guess - the Martha Washington pattern coins. Not exactly a true series or a new discovery, although interesting.
    http://mikebyers.com/martha.html

OK, looking around more, it does appear to be the Ike medal series - see DrDarryl's post in Charmy's Baltimore report:

<< <i>Hi Charmy,

I'm the exhibitor of the US Mint: The POTUS Appreciation Medals Series. I'm glad that you enjoyed my exhibit. There were many positive comments from those who saw my exhibit. The exhibit is based on my book "The Dwight D. Eisenhower Appreciation Medals" (search amazon.com for a copy).

You need to buy the book to get the full story about this "newly discovered" U.S. Mint series. I'm in the process of revising the book with added research information.

The exhibit was my first ever entry. It came in 2nd place overall. A few lessons learned on my part on the technical aspect of judging.

Darryl

image >>

• Options
    lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭

<< <i>My guess - the Martha Washington pattern coins. Not exactly a true series or a new discovery, although interesting.
    http://mikebyers.com/martha.html >>

one member here found one of those in their pocket change they save jars...no lie
    talk about a "YOU SUCK" pocket change style

i keep on thinking about these and the whole story of the 1964 sms series
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• Options
    TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭
    Are you eluding to the Eisenhower Presidential Medals?
  • Options
    It's not April 1rst yet so it can't be that.

Successful BST deals with mustangt and jesbroken. Now EVERYTHING is for sale.

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,730 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That first post is a great way to lose my interest real quick.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,203 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Sounds like the clip between the commercials for Treasure Island. My SPAM meter is pinging! >>

I asked him to post more info and teasers.

These... Well.... They tease. I was thinking just enough info to tell the story but not enough to prevent book sales.

C'est la vie.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

<< <i>U.S. numismatic discoveries have been limited to the identification of a new variety or a newly found hoard.

The discovery of an entire U.S. Mint series is virtually unheard of within U.S. numismatics.

At the recent Whitman Baltimore Coin and Currency Expo, this unheard of discovery was presented in a Maryland State Numismatic Association exhibit.

Hidden for over five decades, the long lost U.S. Mint series has been finally discovered.

The U.S. Mint at Philadelphia had manufactured this U.S. series. Several hundred specimens were struck and delivered on a periodic basis.

What is this U.S. Mint series?

Who found it?

Why was it never documented in U.S. Public records? image >>

Because they went to officials and were a low honor, thus not widely publicized?

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    ScarsdaleCoinScarsdaleCoin Posts: 5,187 ✭✭✭✭✭
    not going to win fans with this post
    Jon Lerner - Scarsdale Coin - www.CoinHelp.com
  • Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,614 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is really only one rule of coin trading. Pass or play. I'm with TomB - I'm passing.
  • Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭✭✭

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,472 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>There is really only one rule of coin trading. Pass or play. I'm with TomB - I'm passing. >>

Well, I'd be interested in knowing how these were acquired? And possibly what the general availability might be.

I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>That first post is a great way to lose my interest real quick. >>

No kidding. Just tell me how much the time-share is and give me my free clock radio so I can get on with my life. image
    Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭
    I got it !

Your name is .........

RUMPLESTILTSKIN

• Options
    FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭
    And you have a big bag of those failed American Art Series Medallions from 1980 - 1984.

Ha ha got you didn't I . Now go unrumple your rumpled stiltskin before you suffer from the condition.
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,548 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anybody got a picture of Joe Montana or one of the other great quarterbacks PASSING they could post?
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What??? Reminds me of a soap opera trailer.... Nevermind...Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    DaveWcoinsDaveWcoins Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭
    Free Shamwow cleaning wipe with every purchase.
    Dave Wnuck. Redbook contributor; long time PNG Member; listed on the PCGS Board of Experts. PM me with your email address to receive my e-newsletter, and visit DaveWcoins.com Find me on eBay at davewcoins
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,692 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Free Cottonelle cleaning wipe with every purchase. >>

Fixed it for you.
  • Options
    TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Sounds like the clip between the commercials for Treasure Island. My SPAM meter is pinging! >>

These... Well.... They tease. I was thinking just enough info to tell the story but not enough to prevent book sales.
    C'est la vie. >>

Looks like some bad marketing advice. The other threads did much better
  • Options
    Redacted Evidence #1.

Who was the director of the mint in 1960? (Hint: It starts with a B as the memo indicates)
    Who was POTUS in 1960?
    Were medals really issued to the POTUS?
    I wonder what the POTUS did with the medals?
    With the collective knowledge here ... point to a numismatic source that can confirm the three exposed mintages from the last 50 years....non exist

Evidence #1 for a new type of numismatic discovery!

• Options
    Redacted Evidence# 2

Wow...a White House Letter

To the Collective Knowledge...

This is the all important "destruction letter". You see...The White House wanted the remaining "coin mementos" to be destroyed.

Why? The POTUS end of 2nd term is near. How many days before the next POTUS swears in? (Hint: Memo is dated December 30, 1960)

The three mintages exposed are medals "destroyed".

Now if you take the Evidence #1 exposed mintage and subtract the Evidence #2 mintage....you get the remaining mintage.

Now check you numismatic reference books and verify the surviving mintage. Wait there are none!

Huh...sure smells like a new numismatic discovery.

Oh wow the Japan mintage is low (i.e. 90). Wait...If you know studied you history. POTUS Eisenhower trip to Japan was cancelled due to riots in Japan because of the new US-Japan treaty?

I wonder who has the 90 medals?

Wow. The mintage is directly tied to a historical US event.

• Options
    Redacted Evidence #3

To the Collective Knowledge:

This is a interesting piece of evidence.

The Director of the Mint acknowledges the mutilation of the White House submitted mementos.

Wow...if you locate these rarities you could make a "mint" (pun intended).

This thread is reeking with new discovery evidence...

• Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If we could only just see what was behind those little black boxes ... evidence of Area 51? The missing Marilyn Monroe tapes? Perhaps Mamie's brunch menu?

The suspense is killing us!
    Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    Redacted Evidence #4

Wow...I'm on a roll.

Now here is the evidence that the US Mint in Philadelphia struck the medals.

If you know your US Mint in Philadelphia history, a female superintendent was in charge in 1960 (date on voucher)

You can see her name on this document.

You can also see the White House being billed.

You can also see the original mintage of the three exposed medals (Hawaii, Korea, and Japan).

That my friends provides a complete trail of evidence from:

U.S. Mint at Philadelphia manufacture (Evidence #4)
    Bureau of the Mint reporting complete series issue and mintage (Evidence #1)
    White House returning specific issues (Evidence #2)
    Final End of Term Destruction Confirmation at the US Treasury building (Evidence #3)

If you want to read more please locate my book at amazon.com. Full copies of these memos are in the book.

By the way...a newer book is on the way that includes the Kennedy POTUS appreciation medals.

In closing, as the discover of this new series.

(1) I have issued a Trademark on the series name "The POTUS Appreciation Medals Series" and POTUS Appreciation Medals.
    (2) The catalog identifiers fall into the trademark category also.
    (3) The book is copyrighted, monitoring is being performed for those who expose my copyrighted material.

I believe the trademark is a first on the name of a U.S. Mint series. Using this legal wording:

**a designated name that functions as a badge of origin to identify the first ever identification and collective grouping of nineteen President of the United States (POTUS) Appreciation Medals that was designed and manufactured by the Bureau of the Mint (now the U.S. Mint)**

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

First U.S. Mint series discovery has its privileges.

• Options
  • Options
    There has been positive comments that the silver dollar size Eisenhower POTUS Appreciation medals should be included in the next update of the HK so called dollar book. If it does demand will increase as well as its value.
  • Options
    For Kennedy half dollar aficionados. The Kennedy POTUS appreciation medal reverse was designed by Frank Gasparro. The significance is that his FG initials are located in the similar location as the Kennedy half dollar. U.S. Mint records are incorrect in that the Kennedy half dollar reverse was based on the U.S. Mint Kennedy presidential series medal. The FG placement provided evidence that Frank Gasparro gained experience from the Kennedy POTUS appreciation medal and later used it on the Kennedy half dollar. I debunked the U.S. Mint information being issued with the new Kennedy halfs....
  • Options
    I'm still accepting congratulatory messages. Silence will mean the same.
  • Options

<< <i>I'm still accepting congratulatory messages. Silence will mean the same. >>

OK. So you collect Presidential Appreciation Medals.

Good.

However, I don't think a whole lot of folks are really interested in these?

And, the flow of your posts seem to indicate that this is more about selling your book than it is in collecting these numismatic items?

While I find the topic fascinating, I also find it to be a very "specialized" area of numismatics that appears to be attracting a lot of yawns from folks that are primarily interested in US Coinage which was available for the public.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options

<< <i>There has been positive comments that the silver dollar size Eisenhower POTUS Appreciation medals should be included in the next update of the HK so called dollar book. If it does demand will increase as well as its value. >>

Weren't the So Called Dollars publically available ? image

The name is LEE!
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

C'est la vie. >>

Looks like some bad marketing advice. The other threads did much better >>

I definitely didn't make myself clear.

• Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,036 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some elderly woman is going to come into a coin dealer's shop with an Eisenhower medal.

The dealer will ask her how she got it.

She will reply "for services rendered".

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options

<< <i>I'm still accepting congratulatory messages. Silence will mean the same. >>

What will "Ummm ...OK" mean?

merse

• Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,471 ✭✭✭✭✭

Since the whole premise of your fantabulous discovery is related to medals and not U.S. coins, your SIZZLE is in the WRONG steakhouse. Try impressing TAMS or maybe the Society of Medal Collectors of America. Seriously. image

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• Options
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Celebratory music >>

Something tells me Dvorák is twirling at about 6,000 RPM in his grave everytime somebody watches that video.

(Somehow I don't think he was consulted about the "official" video for that composition.)

Nice music, though.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,780 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This area is interesting and works of Frank Gasparro does have a small following.

But why bother with the trademark? It does not enhance the value of the collection and in fact, might hurt it because we can no longer use that terminology without being in fear of legal action by you.

Collectors will not pay more for the issue, if anything, less.
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    Sorry for your disinterest cpl. These are POTUS medals. Highest medal one can receive from the office that controle your career.
  • Options
    You lost me at the fist letter in your message.
  • Options
    I see you like children books.
  • Options
    Joe Montana. ..you shown your age...
  • Options
    Do you have a colored all fetish with wiping?
  • Options
    Colorectal....it did not come out right the first time...I squeezed it out here for you..
  • Options
    Wow, honestly real assistant wiper online.
  • Options
    Wow a marketing genius...
  • Options
    You will just have to employ your x-ray vision...
  • Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Uh....hey Doc.

I enjoy your medals and documentation but I think an 8 year old has hacked your account.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Options
    The U.S. coin god has spoken. Now follow the crowd of minions. You really point out the differences between a collector and a numismatist. Collectors follow the crowd. Numismatist makes new discoveries. I think you need to start an organization called ...American Collector Ass-sociation

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file