Home U.S. Coin Forum

Do I have an error coin?

BenG76BenG76 Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭
I am mainly a card guy and hang out on those pages. I do enjoy coin roll hunting a bit and most look for wheat cents for my growing hoard. Also I sell some pre 82 pennies to a guy at times as well and make a few bucks. I ran through a $50 bag of pennies today and found an odd coin and I am curious if it is an error. If you like I show the coin towards the end of the video. Thanks in advance for any help.

Possible error

Comments

• ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes it looks like a lamination error, very cool.
  • BenG76BenG76 Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Yes it looks like a lamination error, very cool. >>

Cool. Thanks for the reply. It is the first one of those I have found.
  • IcollecteverythingIcollecteverything Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭
    That is a major lamination, especially for a modern.

I know it's tempting but I would say don't try to move the loose piece.

Successful BST deals with mustangt and jesbroken. Now EVERYTHING is for sale.

• MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>That is a major lamination, especially for a modern.

I know it's tempting but I would say don't try to move the loose piece. >>

Go to the local coin shop and buy a hundred 2x2 for $5 and staple that one into it

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
    Thanks guys. I have some 2 X 2 holders so I will put it in one. Its cool to find something like this. Probably not worth a lot but will be neat for my little collection.
  • dcarrdcarr Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Technically, it is a delamination.

A lamination is when layers are bonded together. When the layers separate, it is a delamination.

But yes, it is an actual mint error coin.

• For sure, looks like delamination during strike, usually when they are like that they fall off, you lucky. Very cool!!image
  • coppercoinscoppercoins Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭
    I want that. Very nice!
    C. D. Daughtrey, NLG
    The Lincoln cent store:
    http://www.lincolncent.com

My numismatic art work:
    http://www.cdaughtrey.com
    USAF veteran, 1986-1996 :: support our troops - the American way.
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is a significant delamination.... very cool find. A real keeper.... Cheers, RickO
  • 1Mike11Mike1 Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Technically, it is a delamination.

A lamination is when layers are bonded together. When the layers separate, it is a delamination.

But yes, it is an actual mint error coin. >>

If it wasn't bonded in layers to begin with but became layered from poor processing wouldn't it become laminated? Not trying to be facetious, I just remember when working with tungsten and if it got overworked without enough annealing it became what we called laminated.
    "May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

"A dog breaks your heart only one time and that is when they pass on". Unknown
  • edix2001edix2001 Posts: 3,388
    That's a fun educational video that is highly suitable for young collectors. Good show!

<< <i>That's a fun educational video that is highly suitable for young collectors. Good show! >>

I appreciate the nice comment. Thanks
  • errormavenerrormaven Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭
    Dcarr is technically correct that these errors should be called delamination errors. But the error hobby is not known for its grammatical elegance. So we're stuck with the term "lamination error".
    Mike Diamond is an error coin writer and researcher. Views expressed here do not necessarily reflect those held by any organization I am a member of.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file