Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

2014 proof platinum appear sold out!

kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭
At 4,596, this is one of the lower minted platinum coins. I don't know many people still collecting. The collectibility market for these are really thin.
"I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.

Comments

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,219 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They've had some pretty good designs recently, too.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>At 4,596, this is one of the lower minted platinum coins. I don't know many people still collecting. The collectibility market for these are really thin. >>

Edited: I just checked, it's still marked out of stock not sold out.

Assuming that this holds, it displaces the 2008 W $100 Proof which had a final mintage of 4769 which had been a solid key by only 173 coins.

I was not expecting this (and thus missed the boat) as the initial sales were very strong despite the (IMO) very poor design and plat was relatively cheap.

I wonder how long this key will hold.

BTW, when exactly did it go red? It went on sale in Oct.
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Delete
    Timbuk3
  • Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd love to own one !!! :-)
    Timbuk3
  • Options
    FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭
    I gave up on Plats back around 2008. When the overly priced widgits came back in 2009 the mintages were way too high.

I got a 2013 because the mintages were lower. I got 2 - 2014's. Looks like these will be the new low mintage Proofs.

Nobody seems to like the Plats. That's OK by me, I like them just fine.
  • Options

<< <i>I gave up on Plats back around 2008. When the overly priced widgits came back in 2009 the mintages were way too high.

I got a 2013 because the mintages were lower. I got 2 - 2014's. Looks like these will be the new low mintage Proofs.

Nobody seems to like the Plats. That's OK by me, I like them just fine. >>

These appear likely to be the new $100 (1 oz) proof key beating the 2008 W $100 proof by 173 coins - a figure that may be adjusted by the final audits.

The low mintage plat proof key is the 2008 W $50 at a final mintage of 4020, next is the 2008 W $25 at 4153.

The low mintage of all "W" plats is the 2008 W $50 Burnished at 2253 - the "king" of all W plats.

Nice pick up on your 2014s. Assuming that the numbers hold (says out of stock, not sold out) it may well be several years at least (if ever) before it is unseated as the newer deigns look to be nice ones.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The platinum coins tend to have nice designs - compared to the rest of the mint offerings (ASE & AGE excluded)....Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Keys in the series are hard to define. It's all what about you collect. 2006 one oz platinum bullion coins have a mintage of just 6,000. How many of these bullion coins hit the melting pot? Or, more relevant, is anyone even collecting bullion platinum coins?

"I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,563 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I bought the six-piece run just ended, including the 2014. Some of the designs are good.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    Can someone please tell me when the 2014 Plat Proof went out of stock? Thanks.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file