Home Metal Detecting
Options

My 2015 finds worth posting -- updated 12/14/15

2»

Comments

• Options
    WhiteTornadoWhiteTornado Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The coinstar at the local market has been totally devoid of coins in the reject bin for two months now..... thought when they moved it I might get lucky since the checkers/baggers did not have such a great vantage point anymore.... no such luck. image Cheers, RickO >>

I'm lucky in that regard with this unit. It's near the exit, in front of customer service but not right in front of that counter, and those folks are usually distracted helping customers anyway. It is around the corner from the checkout lanes, except for the self-service lanes. Also helps that most of the employees in this store are slackers image.

Edited to add: This is the third time I've plucked silver out of this return slot. First time was a silver Roosie and another time is among that large pile shown in one of the earlier posts in this thread. That pile had a 40% Kennedy Half, along with a bunch of Euro coins.
  • Options
    pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭
    nice pickups!

I never had any luck at those things. One time got a couple of Canadian coins, but that's it.
  • Options
    Went out door knocking yesterday. Finally had success at a house I've been eyeing for some time. It's not far from me and dates to the 1930s. I hit the front yard for about an hour, came up with what you see below. Any idea what the cog thingy is? This property used to be home to some kind of handyman services, so I'm guessing it's from some machinery.

We had rain a few days ago, but nothing since and the ground is still fairly dry. Temps have cooled, though, which is nice.

• Options
    can't find a Rolex every time!

the bottle caps look a little older too. Hopefully next time the ground will be a bit more damp. It's amazing how much wet ground helps the signal.

No idea on the cog thing...interesting though.
  • Options

<< <i>can't find a Rolex every time!

the bottle caps look a little older too. Hopefully next time the ground will be a bit more damp. It's amazing how much wet ground helps the signal.

No idea on the cog thing...interesting though. >>

That is what I was thinking, that the older bottle caps might indicate older goodies to be found. Funny, the new owners are a bit younger than me and did not know what RC Cola was image. Maybe before their time.
  • Options
    At the monthly treasure club meeting last night, I had some time before hand and did some hunting outside the building. Found a bit of clad and one Wheatie. Not sure if that qualifies as my first "real" Wheatie because although I had to dig to get it, I am thinking it was an old leftover from previous seeded hunts done on this ground. It was a 1930s date.

During the mini (seeded) hunt prior to the meeting, I found 5 Buffs and 22 Wheaties. Didn't get any silver goodies this time.

There was discussion of the new Minelab GO-FIND line of detectors. Our resident dealer said he has been surprised that they have sold so well. He said the basic model runs about $180, up to about $300 for the top-of-the-line unit. Another member has been test driving one and said he's been pleasantly surprised at how easy it is to use and how portable. It's neat in that it folds up nicely.

Here is a link to Minelab's GO-FIND brochure

Our dealer also gave us a friendly warning about buying from rock-bottom priced dealers. Apparently, the detector manufacturers are very strict on pricing and how low an authorized dealer can advertise a price. There was one dealer in our area that was unauthorized and selling units at rock-bottom prices. Our dealer said if you buy from someone like this, it is very likely your warranty would be no good, would not be recognized or honored by the manufacturers when they verify the serial number. So, the lowest price is not always the best price. Something to keep in mind, anyway.
  • Options
    Found this over the weekend, a dog tag dated 1954:

• Options
    Now that'd be one old dog! Starting to find some older things over there.
  • Options
    Hey guys, long time since I posted anything here, so I will try to catch up.

Went several weeks without getting out. In the middle, I did go to my local club's annual Open Hunt. It's held at a beach area and it involves multiple seeded hunts. I didn't do as well as hoped. Got several silver dimes, a few silver quarters, and a couple of 40% Kennedys. Also managed one token, which was redeemable for a silver round. Didn't win any of the 7 detectors or any of the lesser prizes like digger tools, pinpointers, magazine subscriptions, etc.

Finally got out proper with the club to hunt a private property along the Chesapeake. It's historical land and we were there with permission, trying to find pickers tokens. The original owner employed pickers and paid them via tokens, which they could then redeem in his general store. A couple of members found tokens, which had never before been found on that property. One of the museum caretakers was there and needless to say, she was thrilled.

I managed to find the old spoon you see below. A few online searches has me thinking it is just silver-plated. The mark says CWO FAIRFIELD.

I managed to get out over the weekend and this morning, to a couple of local modern parks. Nothing much to speak of, just some small fry clad.

Pics of the spoon:

• Options
    Long time no talk! I'm still bad at replying to those PM's! It does have a silver plated look to it, but at least it's one piece. I've always enjoyed finding silverware. On my bucket list is a complete sterling piece. Hoping it'll happen at some point. Got half of one at the beach, but not a full one.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like the old dog tag. My oldest dated one is from 1946.

Yep, silver plated on that spoon, but still a fun find. Y'know, I have yet to find a real Sterling spoon. So far all the various "silver" flatware I've dug has been plated.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We have a lot of colonial sites in this area (settling started in late 1600's). But so far

I have not found any old silverware... a friend found a sterling napkin holder at a site

by a historic stone building... even had engraving traceable to the original settler owners.

He donated it back to the museum in the building. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    Had a group outing at a park on Saturday. This was a joint outing with another local club. One of the members of the other club generously seeded the woods with a lot of his finds he was willing to give up for us. He planted all manner of coins, buttons, Civil War era bullets, etc. He even threw some more minor stuff like Wheat cents about.

Here was my haul. A couple of intact bullets, one damaged bullet, one bullet fragment (upper left of picture), one mini ball, a button, a Boy Scouts neckerchief slide and pin, and a junk ring. Not pictured: various Wheaties and a war nickel.

• Options
    Bayard1908Bayard1908 Posts: 3,987 ✭✭✭✭
    I strongly encourage you to buy yourself a high end machine and start making some good finds in the wild. It's much more satisfying than a seeded hunt.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MD'ing with a high end machine (after the learning curve) is indeed a pleasure. Cheers, RickO