Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Lincoln Cent 1946-S altered penny made to pass as dime

WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,075 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 16, 2023 8:07PM in U.S. Coin Forum
I checked the local CoinStar machine today and saw several coins in the reject bin.

Usually a foreign coin causes the machine to reject coins, buy all 30 of the coins were US pennies,
probably from the same person but I can not be sure.

One had been hammered to nearly the size of a quarter; that one probably caused the rejection.

Of the others, 8 were zinc, 19 were Lincoln Memorial copper, and two were wheat pennies,
a 1956 which had two wire-cutter marks, and this altered 1946-S penny:

The coin was probably altered with a file to pass as a dime in a vending machine.
It weighs 2.67gm, is 19mm in diameter, and the sides are smooth.

I had heard of pennies altered this way but had not seen one until now.

On December 3, 2010 President Obama pardoned a man for doing this "coin mutilation" in 1963:
http://forums.collectors.com/messageview.cfm?catid=26&threadid=797038

https://www.brianrxm.com
The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
Coins in Movies
Coins on Television

Comments

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,743 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Back when pay phones were a dime I used to see cents cut down to dime size. An awful lot of work for 9 cents profit!
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When you are a teenager, you have too much free time. Buddy's and I used to make them to go to the arcades. I think a dime would get you three plays on a pinball machine. We'd use a pay phone as a go-no go tester. If the phone gave you a dial tone, hit the receiver button and get the coin back. If it did not accept the coin, go work on it some more. image
  • Options
    drwstr123drwstr123 Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Used to make phones calls often to cents.
    Just a wire cutter and snip off the rim does it.
    Back then you would get, "Please deposit ...for additional ...minutes".
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep.... cutting down cents to work as dimes was a big deal at one time....Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file