Options
Susan B. Anthony OMM found? ***REQUEST PICS ADDED
I went to the flea market over the weekend and bought an unopened $100 bag of P mint SBAs in hopes of pulling a few wide rims or high grade examples. I found quickly that I had 3 different obverse dies in this bag. One was an extremely LDS, one had a crack across star 5, and the last had this mark above the "P". When I looked closer, it looked like an "S" Over Mint Mark.
The "S" doesn't resemble either of the 79 S varieties, instead it is VERY similar to the 74 S found on the Lincoln. I know nothing about how dies are made, so I'm sure a bunch of you will tell me this is impossible, but look for yourself and let me know your thoughts. Overall, I pulled 30+ of these from the bag.






1979 S mintmarks


1974 S mintmark on Lincoln


********************REQUESTED PICS




The "S" doesn't resemble either of the 79 S varieties, instead it is VERY similar to the 74 S found on the Lincoln. I know nothing about how dies are made, so I'm sure a bunch of you will tell me this is impossible, but look for yourself and let me know your thoughts. Overall, I pulled 30+ of these from the bag.






1979 S mintmarks


1974 S mintmark on Lincoln


********************REQUESTED PICS




How I pay the bills:
https://imdb.com/name/nm1835107/
https://imdb.com/name/nm1835107/
0
Comments
bob
New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.
<< <i>Cool! What year are the SBAs? >>
1979 P
https://imdb.com/name/nm1835107/
I find it hard to believe a Lincoln "S" was used. Actually I can't imagine Philly would use an S at all unless they were preparing the dies for SF, and decided to keep one for Philly after it was punched, but that doesn't explain why the known SBA "S" doesn't seem to match. Maybe a toolmark, or a messed up "P" they tried to fix, who knows.
There is definitely something there, just not sure what it is - but it's neat for sure.
Any chance of a whole coin shot?
"You Suck Award" - February, 2015
Discoverer of 1919 Mercury Dime DDO - FS-101
Do you have multiple pieces from this die?
Back then mint marks were hand punched into working dies using a steel rod with a letter at the end and a mallet. It is not impossible that somebody at the mint changed the mint mark on a die for some unknown reason, perhaps because they needed to make some more coins for collector sets or bags and they had already used up all previously made P-mint dies.
However, it is not a slam dunk. The heavy die erosion seen in the fields suggests that the extra mark could possibly be die erosion. I am not saying that that is what it is. I am saying that you need another opinion from somebody like Bill Fivaz, co-author of the Cherrypicker's Guide.
TD.
https://imdb.com/name/nm1835107/
https://imdb.com/name/nm1835107/
New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.
<< <i>..........
Any chance of a whole coin shot? >>
You got it
https://imdb.com/name/nm1835107/
<< <i>I am in the "possible" camp. Definitely worthy of further study. >>
<< <i>Does the S seem too small in comparison to the P mintmark, even allowing for die erosion/polishing? >>
Yeah, I guess this is the elephant in the room
https://imdb.com/name/nm1835107/
The name is LEE!
"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
<< <i>I'm in the die chip crowd. >>
Ditto.
But not disagreeing with the Captain's opinion of it being worthy of more examination.
<< <i>At present, die chip...I just think it's not proportional (too small) to be an actual 'S' mint mark. Thinking out loud, knee jerk reaction. >>
Just to play devil's advocate, when the "P" was punched in, the metal displaced by the "P" punch could have partially collapsed an earlier "S." Or, if an "S" were ground down prior to a "P" being punched in, only the deepest part of the "S" might have remained and that, because of the tapering and/or rounding at the end of the punch, would have a smaller footprint than a normal "S." Or possibly a combination of these two factors plus other unknown factors. Or it could just be a die chip. We don't know yet.
<< <i>Boden that needs to be looked at as the current condition could be due to die polishing not just die erosion. I personally am seeing some shape to the area in question and most die chips look like little blobs. Your images are fantastic and I look forward to seeing what you find out. >>
Thank you for the nice words and for your thoughts. I have a few options of who to send some of these to. Will keep you guys posted.
https://imdb.com/name/nm1835107/
I was thinking along the lines of Captains last scenario.
Very interesting either way. Look forward to hearing more.
"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"
My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress
I pulled 30+ of these from the bag.
...I find that quite interesting...