Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

PCGS Crossover

JeffMTampaJeffMTampa Posts: 3,261 ✭✭✭✭✭
Reading through the Crossover requirements on the PCGS website they don't seem to have limitations on which 3rd party graders they'll accept crossovers from. Am I missing something?? Will they accept coins from ANACS, ICG, SEGS, etc. for crossover?
I love them Barber Halves.....

Comments

• Options
    bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, yes, and yes. I have sent in PCI holdered coins in the past as well. Don't get your hopes up, as some of the TPG's crossover rates are very slim.
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭
    NGC has restrictions. PCGS does not.
    Lance.
  • Options
    lavalava Posts: 3,286 ✭✭✭
    If you are new to grading, the crossover service is not automatic. The coin always needs to satisfy the PCGS grading standards to cross, depending on how the submission is prepared. If you seek to cross an NGC 45 at same grade, for example, your coin will be returned if PCGS thinks it is a 40. If you crossed at any grade, it would cross. The same goes for any coin submitted to PCGS from any service.
    I brake for ear bars.
  • Options
    JeffMTampaJeffMTampa Posts: 3,261 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've crossed a lot of NGC coins at PCGS but not other slabs. I have a MS 61 Barber Half in a SEGS holder that looks like a 58 to me (and want it as a 58). I'm trying to decide if I'm better off leaving it in the current slab or submitting it raw.

Thanks for the help!
    I love them Barber Halves.....
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If it grades the same or better... it will cross.... if not, keep it, sell it or try again....Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    lavalava Posts: 3,286 ✭✭✭
    I would put cross at minimum grade of 58 and leave it in the slab.
    I brake for ear bars.
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I've crossed a lot of NGC coins at PCGS but not other slabs. I have a MS 61 Barber Half in a SEGS holder that looks like a 58 to me (and want it as a 58). I'm trying to decide if I'm better off leaving it in the current slab or submitting it raw.

Thanks for the help! >>

Cracking usually gets better results, in my experience. With crosses PCGS is usually conservative because they can't see parts of the coin hidden by the holder. The view through plastic is a disadvantage too. So the big worry for PCGS is that they agree to a cross at a certain grade and then, after cracking, find trouble. They have to go forward with the grade or make a payout. Gnarly.

If there's any chance the coin might be body bagged, for cleaning or questionable color let's say, then cracking is a bad idea. Definitely try a cross and cite your lowest acceptable grade.
    Lance.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file