Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Fresh vs nonfresh coins - Which do you prefer?

OK - OK - I get it - all I read over these threads and many published coin ads and auctions reporting that "they got fresh coins to the market".

Typically, these fresh coins dealers prefer because they haven't been around the block, accordingly dealers can pay good money for these coins and they charge more for them to collectors as they are "fresh". This is clearly a win for those dealers. On many occasions, I bought these "fresh" coins from auctions or dealers and I am very happy acquiring them but I paid high end prices for them.
Also, many dealers complain about the lack of fresh coins to the market. I have seen many of these "non-fresh"coins at dealer's tables going from one dealer's showcase to another and some of these coins are at dealer's tables for over a year. Recently, I bought several of those "non-fresh" coins from several dealers and they charged me a very reasonable price as they wanted to move them. These coins are very beautiful looking coins with great eye appeal and CAC'd but the only problem is they been around the block - too long. I am perfectly happy buying these coins - why - first off - they are very nice looking coins that a dealer wants to unload. Secondly, I have no plans selling these "non-fresh" coins in the near future so fresh or non-fresh doesn't matter to me. I figure that when I sell my non-fresh coins in 10 years or so, they will be fresh and I will get those fresh prices. Do anyone else think like me? So which do you prefer - fresh or non-fresh and why. My conclusion is dealers should buy fresh coins and collectors buy non-fresh coins!
Easton Collection

Comments

• Options
    howardshowards Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭
    I don't care what adjectives anybody applies to a coin. If I like it and it fits my collection, I buy it. Simple.
  • Options
    EastonCollectionEastonCollection Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey Realone - now that's a non-fresh looking coin that I would love in my collection!
    Easton Collection
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,446 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I don't care what adjectives anybody applies to a coin. If I like it and it fits my collection, I buy it. Simple. >>

Agree. Show me the coin and I'll decide if I like it based on the merits of the individual coin. Also, I've seen plenty of so-called fresh coins that look like crap. The only true fresh coins are the ones that come straight from the mint.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options

<< <i>Don't care if it's fresh or stale, as long as the price is right and the coin is quality, I'll buy it. >>

Bingo!!! Buy the coin---not the hype!!!

• Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,865 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I understand coins that consistently go from dealer to auction or dealer cases repeatedly are not fresh coins.

How long does a non fresh coin have to be held by a collector in order for it to be fresh again?
    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The state of "freshness" is relative. Coins that are "stale" to those who are on a national circuit may be "fresh" when go to local shows.
    Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options

<< <i>Don't care if it's fresh or stale, as long as the price is right and the coin is quality, I'll buy it. >>

I agree. However, when I hear the term 'fresh,' I think of a group of coins that has been put back for awhile -- perhaps for decades. Sometimes, the coins are of high quality and the current collector community has never seen them. I have seen a choice, 'fresh' group of Dahlonega pieces get snapped up by eager collectors in the span of a single coin show.

On the other hand, 'stale' coins are often 'picked over' -- and thus of lower quality -- or are nice coins, but hopelessly overpriced. Some dealers won't get rid of such pieces and they languish in their display cases for years.

Thus, while I agree with the statement at the top of my posting, my experience shows that the odds are much greater of finding a quality piece in a group of 'fresh' coins. If one is fortunate, such coins will also be reasonably priced.
    "Clamorous for Coin"
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>...How long does a non fresh coin have to be held by a collector in order for it to be fresh again? >>

One leading retailer followed by this forum has often suggested at least 10 years. So if you only go 9.9 years expect some resistance. image
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,737 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

I agree. However, when I hear the term 'fresh,' I think of a group of coins that has been put back for awhile -- perhaps for decades. Sometimes, the coins are of high quality and the current collector community has never seen them. I have seen a choice, 'fresh' group of Dahlonega pieces get snapped up by eager collectors in the span of a single coin show.

On the other hand, 'stale' coins are often 'picked over' -- and thus of lower quality -- or are nice coins, but hopelessly overpriced. Some dealers won't get rid of such pieces and they languish in their display cases for years.

Thus, while I agree with the statement at the top of my posting, my experience shows that the odds are much greater of finding a quality piece in a group of 'fresh' coins. If one is fortunate, such coins will also be reasonably priced. >>

+1

Having access to such material is the trick.
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    To me fresh is newly minted, I'll take as stale as possible please. image
  • Options
    Many "stale" coins are nice coins that have been in dealer inventory for far too long because it's overpriced. Eventually the dealer comes to his senses and puts a realistic price on the coin and someone will add a nice "stale" coin to his collection.

• Options
    silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't care if it's "fresh" or "non fresh" if the coin gets my notice it's bought

Coins for sale at link below
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/TyJbuBJf37WZ2KT19

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The fresh vs nonfresh sounds like marketing hype BS to sell big ticket coins that have huge markups above CDN Bid. Buyers of these are obviously the end user, fresh vs non fresh has nothing to do with it. The coin market seems to be in a bear market considering many of the many of the drops in the greysheet and bluesheet lately. The Feb 06 bluesheet there were 626 minus, 31 plus with the rest holding steady along with headline "Massive Silver Commem Collapse." In the 2/20 greysheet Texas Type Commems in MS65 / MS66 are now bid at 135 / 180 respectively.

Being in the business over 25 years, I buy / bid on coins that are at a price where I have a chance to make money on them selling them at retail. If I like the coin, the price, and feel I can retail it and make money on it I buy it, otherwise not. If this is not possible in a particular market segment I move on to another that is.

If a dealer has overpriced coins he will not be able to move them. He will have to face the reality he needs to reduce price accordingly. A cash flow crunch will force this. In a situation where for example gold has a sudden big drop and I don't want to give away my gold coins at that level I simply take them off the market and leave them in the bankbox. Then I have other material in that part of the case at a show - Currency, non gold coins, etc.

If I come across coins which have been off the market for decades, after getting them back from TPG grading and evaluating where they are in the grade range, they are priced relative to their quality for the grade. Coins which are PQ are priced higher than average quality material relative to sheet / priceguides. So that someone is going to get some rip or "bargain buy" is not going to happen.

I enjoy numismatics, especially PCGS coins and the pricing / inventory tools PCGS offers like Coin Facts. If I get tired of one particular market segment, moving on to a new one can be exciting and fun adding life to my interest in numismatics. Rediscovery can be the lifeblood of enthusiasm. At present I am looking to buy issues I have not owned vs the same old ones I have had over and over.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For me, the terms 'fresh', 'stale', or any other descriptive terms are hype/rubbish..... I buy the coin.... if I like it and it is priced right (per my evaluation), I will buy it... if not, I keep looking. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    ebaybuyerebaybuyer Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭
    a stale coin in a fresh holder is like putting a week old loaf of bread in a new bag
    regardless of how many posts I have, I don't consider myself an "expert" at anything
  • Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file