Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

how to determine mechanical error vs botch ?

how does one determine a mechanical error vs a botched identification ? I recently bought a graded coin that is slabbed as a P mint but its actually an S mint, no S visible on the coin but it certainly is an S mint. the mintmark wasn't removed it is just very very weak (as it usually is) would it fall under the mechanical error or we botched it blanket ?
regardless of how many posts I have, I don't consider myself an "expert" at anything

Comments

• Options
    If it is visible as an S mint and not properly labeled I would think that PCGS would fix the error in labeling to correct the encapsulated error and the pop reports.
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,225 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I believe both are described as mech error to pcgs

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The only way to know if it was botched ID is if you saw the original submission form. Things like oblique mintmarks can easily slip past graders in the labrinth anyways, unless it is a coin that has exceptional market value as presented, where the consensus grading method is likely to be used and the coin is very carefully examined by several pairs of eyes before it is ranked for market value.

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• Options
    TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭
    mechanical error
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1921s? pics?

bob
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    ebaybuyerebaybuyer Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭
    im going to sell it as is, and let the new owner worry about it. after all, someone brought it to my attention that the TPG's have graders with "1000 times more knowledge" than I do, could be that I don't know anything. after all, im not an expert and I never claimed to be, I do know this series though, obviously better than they do
    regardless of how many posts I have, I don't consider myself an "expert" at anything
  • Options
    MoldnutMoldnut Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭✭
    Well, if it was one of the dimes from the 1860s you just got hosed.
    Derek

EAC 6024
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't know the difference between botched and mechanical. I never heard PCGS use "botched". In any case PCGS will fix their mistakes at no cost. I just sent in a 106a single leaf bust half that was attributed at a plain 106. PCGS fixed it fast and free and a check for my shipping costs is being mailed.
    Lance.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mechanical error...they will fix it free.... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    so if it was submitted as an S mint, but slabbed as a P mint ....
  • Options
    I suppose my question should have been, how can one determine if a slabbed scarce P mint isn't actually a mechanical error. if they didn't get it right the first time, how many tries should it take ?
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I suppose my question should have been, how can one determine if a slabbed scarce P mint isn't actually a mechanical error. if they didn't get it right the first time, how many tries should it take ? >>

In your first post you said it is actually an S mint. So send it back and it will be fixed for free.

If PCGS believes it is a Philly coin then you would be on the hook for the fees.

Now if you're saying their authority is wrong and you are right I don't have much advice. Maybe document the coin and holder with good photos and send it to another TPG. Assuming it comes back as an S mint then take the matter back to PCGS and see how they handle it. It would be interesting to know that.
    Lance.
  • Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,864 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I feel the best way to determined a mechanical error is give a 6th grader a redbook and see if they notice a problem
    if they do not, then it is something a typical buy stuff on television collector would not be expected to know and must be a ?botch?

take the test yourself
  • Options
    EastonCollectionEastonCollection Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is this a mechanical error or just just a new grade that PCGS created?
    Easton Collection

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file