Home U.S. Coin Forum

The 1 9 2 1 P E A C E D O L L A R thread

WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
Because it's one of my all time favorite coins from any nation and any time:

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
--Severian the Lame

Comments

• AlanLastufkaAlanLastufka Posts: 188 ✭✭✭✭
    Oh, I have one of those!

• cointimecointime Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's one I had.....
    bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey, comrade weiss, hey buddy, I thought you hated this coin...er, the reverse at least(?) Mebbe it was the subsequent flatter versions...

• << <i>Because it's one of my all time favorite coins from any nation and any time:

image >>

I know it is just the picture as taken but this Peace Dollar has the appearance of a questionable coin due to the worn areas looking other than just coin silver.

I am a big fan of this date Peace dollar and well all the rest and Morgans also.
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,832 ✭✭✭✭✭
    imageimage
    imageimage

No spam intended

• epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭
  • BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    imageimage

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Love the design. A friend made a PCGS MS67 (not pure white, close to hammered strike). No bean. Another friend and I sold it a Forum member.. . . . Used to be a CoinFacts example for the grade. IIRC, 7th made at the time.
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭
    All on CoinFacts.
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • BGBG Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Used to own this one:

• cheezhedcheezhed Posts: 5,682 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Many happy BST transactions
  • WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

I know it is just the picture as taken but this Peace Dollar has the appearance of a questionable coin due to the worn areas looking other than just coin silver.

I am a big fan of this date Peace dollar and well all the rest and Morgans also. >>

Just frost, Christos. There aren't many Peace dollars that have a thick, original skin like this one does.

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,729 ✭✭✭✭✭
    More die wear = more luster. Many of these dies failed early enough that they probably never got the chance.

I enjoy my slabbed, entombed, protected, "princess" coins just fine, but it's nice to have a very slightly disturbed "genuine" raw coin to be able to hold and actually see. It's really too bad they couldn't figure out a couple of things when they made these. Getting the design onto the master hub without losing detail around the lettering & devices would have helped. Figuring out the strike issues and die longevity problems would have helped. If the whole series could have been high-relief and well-struck it would have really been something. As is, the Peace dollar is only wicked awesome.

... and a few highlights:

• Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,144 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some primo coins and wonderful photography on this thread!

Bought this one some years back for $35:

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
    Love the die polish on some of these pieces!

Realone, there are several '21 peace vams. My favorite are the proof die pieces. You'll find them detailed on Vamworld.com
    --Severian the Lame
  • ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>image >>

FREAKY STRIKE!!!!

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!

<< <i>image >>

And another FREAKY STRIKE!

• CocoinutCocoinut Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's mine. I wish the obverse was as well struck as the reverse.

imageimage

Jim
    Countdown to completion of my Mercury Set: 2 coins. My growing Lincoln Set: Finally completed!
  • ashelandasheland Posts: 22,679 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great thread!
  • kazkaz Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • HighReliefHighRelief Posts: 3,657 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • TookybanditTookybandit Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭✭
    I love this thread! The 1921 HR is such a mega cool coin! I have a VAM3 with a ray through the letter "L" in dollar.

Here's an example on VamWorld
  • morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can play. 1/200, f8, iso100, auto wb, 4608x3072 resized to 750x750. Great examples everyone, keep em coming.
    Mark love the look of your example, XF or AU?

imageimage
    World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,729 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Here's mine. I wish the obverse was as well struck as the reverse.

Jim >>

To me, the reverse strike on this one seems more-or-less equal to the obverse strike. There is flattening of the hair around Liberty's ear and there is flattening in the feather detail directly above the eagle's leg. Regardless, the coin you posted is quite nice and looks more lustrous than most.
    Realone, I don't know what goes on behind closed doors * but the high relief itself is a bit rare in the fact that the dies wore out quick. So, this (along with all variants) created all the VAMs in my best judgement.
    So we can thank Van Allen and Mallis , who helped to create all the VAM's interest. What you want (if seeking this particular year/coin, is a really early strike on a new die. That's all. It's not rare, just highly sought after to get the best. Because they're extremely beautiful and because it was a great year.

On a side note , my dad (RIP) was born that year. 2 different dollars were made and the Morgan in extreme abundance.
    The Mercury dimes and Walkers are also expensive that year, too. Not to go off topic, but the answers are often hard to find even when we think we know them. Price is another variable that I know you are a stickler about and you will likely find the same type in this series. A few dates are really tough but the "set" is fun to do.

Also, just wish to say : We've had great chats over the years behind the scenes. I missed your participation here, lately. Glad to see you around.

* at the mint
  • crypto79crypto79 Posts: 8,623
    Only one I have currently but I have had over a dozen of these from VF to Gem

• TwobitcollectorTwobitcollector Posts: 3,103 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Positive BST Transactions with:
    INYNWHWeTrust-TexasNationals,ajaan,blu62vette
    coinJP, Outhaul ,illini420,MICHAELDIXON, Fade to Black,epcjimi1,19Lyds,SNMAN,JerseyJoe, bigjpst, DMWJR , lordmarcovan, Weiss,Mfriday4962,UtahCoin,Downtown1974,pitboss,RichieURich,Bullsitter,JDsCoins,toyz4geo,jshaulis, mustanggt, SNMAN
  • DDRDDR Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The 1921 Peace is one of my all time favorite coins. Congrats to all, there are some really attractive ones in this thread.
  • airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,901 ✭✭✭✭✭
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some very nice Peace Dollars here.... I think an HR '21 may be my next acquisition....Cheers, RickO
    I don't think I've ever seen a rainbow toned '21, Airplanenut!
    --Severian the Lame
  • etexmikeetexmike Posts: 6,795 ✭✭✭
    Love the look of a nicely struck 21 Peace dollar.

I have owned a few examples over the years but nothing in the inventory presently.

Mike
  • lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭
    this has to be the baddest 1921 i've ever seen and didn't have the $3.5k it sold for..."RAW" mind you on ebay
    i would of bid north of $5k if i had it when it was offered

here is my example...to me...it's struck like a moose
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

Teddy, love the lower coin. It's got everything a real coin should have. History in the cracks and crevices.
  • TonerGuyTonerGuy Posts: 590 ✭✭✭

<< <i>this has to be the baddest 1921 i've ever seen and didn't have the $3.5k it sold for..."RAW" mind you on ebay
    image >>

Hard to tell from the photos but this coin might have been struck from proof dies. I see what looks like die polish on the reverse between the S and O above the Eagle's head but it could be my poor eyesight.

• relicsncoinsrelicsncoins Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here is my ANACS photo cert piece. Graded MS63/63

imageimage

Need a Barber Half with ANACS photo certificate. If you have one for sale please PM me. Current Ebay auctions
  • BGBG Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sent an email this morning to dealer I found on collectors corner who had a nice 1921 Peace S$1. No answer yet.

Guess they don't want to make a sale, on to the next coin.

Here's one I made in my first and only submission. Sold it to a board member, IIRC:

--Severian the Lame
  • lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭
    bigger images of that 21' are found here...it is the ebay offering that drug me back into these coins
    and it does have toning...just very subtle

1921 peace dollar cu forum link
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

<< <i>this has to be the baddest 1921 i've ever seen and didn't have the $3.5k it sold for..."RAW" mind you on ebay
    image >>

That piece looks like a proof! Wow!!!

image >>

This shows you how much I trust my own abilities to grade a coin:

If I were offered that coin, slabbed with an MS # north of 65, I'd sell my left...thumb...to buy it. It looks like it has everything you could possibly want in a '21 peace.

But if I walked into my dealer and was offered it, raw, for anywhere near what a typical MS65 PGCS or NGC peace dollar sells for, I'd walk away.

It's just too good looking in the images. And a coin that is really rare and really valuable that looks too good? I don't have the stones.
    --Severian the Lame

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file