Home U.S. Coin Forum

President Jackson Family Gobrecht Dollars

EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
I got my copy of the new GJ (#122) today, and I read with interest and delight the article written by Len on a Gobrecht Dollar that was once part of the family of President Jackson.

I don't want to give out any spoilers to anyone who hasn't yet read it, but it's a good read.

EVP

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

Comments

• TomthecoinguyTomthecoinguy Posts: 849 ✭✭✭✭
    Sounds interesting, do you have a link?
  • EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Sounds interesting, do you have a link? >>

Print copy...

Realone - welcome back. I hope the article doesn't disappoint.

EVP

• tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,146 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I remember when that was in auction. Cool story at the time
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Although I am not personally a fan of provenances...having a coin from a President of that period in American history would indeed be interesting. Cheers, RickO
  • LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,282 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Neat!

If nothing else, it might have helped establish the emission sequence.
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • AuroraBorealisAuroraBorealis Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very cool.... Thanks for the tip...

ABimage
  • coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The owner of these documents appeared spontaneously in 2011 at the LSCC message boards with an inquiry as to where the coin they had sold might have gone, since they had subsequently found these associated letters. I had a brief correspondence with him, suggesting he contact John Dannreuther about it. Never heard from him again after February 2012.

The LSCC has issued 3 e-Gobrecht Journals in 2015. Volume 11, issues 1(January), 2(February) and 3(March). I did not find the article referenced by the OP in any of them. Perhaps the OP could clarify the issue where this article appeared ?

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    CoinDeuce,

Are you looking in the e-Gobrecht publication? I'm talking about the print copy, page 4.

EVP

• CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,614 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The owner of these documents appeared spontaneously in 2011 at the LSCC message boards with an inquiry as to where the coin they had sold might have gone, since they had subsequently found these associated letters. I had a brief correspondence with him, suggesting he contact John Dannreuther about it. Never heard from him again after February 2012.

The LSCC has issued 3 Gobrecht Journals in 2015. Volume 11, issues 1(January), 2(February) and 3(March). I did not find the article referenced by the OP in any of them. Perhaps the OP could clarify the issue where this article appeared ? >>

This was in the March, 2015 print edition of the Gobrecht Journal (which just mailed a couple days ago). The documents and the coin have been reunited - the article has the full details. There is no online version of the article, only LSCC members receive the print edition.

• coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not sure who you're addressing as George, but I am still confused by your response. Why would e-Gobrecht have different content from the print copy ? I haven't received my print copy of the March issue yet. I see no reference to the topic in the 3 published 2015 issues of e-Gobrecht. . .

edited to add: Coinosaurus, thanks for the clarification. I still don't understand why the editors would issue different versions of the Gobrecht Journal.

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• BGBG Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As a member of the LSCC (through CAC membership) I just received the E-Gobrecht pdf. file via email, 2015 Volume II, Issue 3, March 2015, (Whole #122). There is nothing in it about President Jackson and his Gobrecht Dollar.

So, I'm in agreement with coindeuce.
  • CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,614 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>edited to add: Coinosaurus, thanks for the clarification. I still don't understand why the editors would issue different versions of the Gobrecht Journal. >>

Ah. To clarify - the E-Gobrecht is a monthly, free electronic newsletter. It is intended to cover more timely events.

The Gobrecht Journal is a print publication issued three times per year, containing feature articles, that is distributed to club members.

This is a model a lot of clubs are using. The EAC copper guys have Penny-Wise (every other month print journal), plus a weekly free electronic newsletter, while the NBS (numismatic book club) has the Asylum (print journal) four times a year, plus the free, weekly E-Sylum.

• dengadenga Posts: 903 ✭✭✭
    I received my copy of the Gobrecht Journal today; the article is first class.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file